"Five Ways? Room on top!" A Brummagem horse drawn buzz in 1/32nd scale

perdu

6 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Anyway, how are you going to do the Horses leatherwork without Dubbin?

Blimey what a good question

Better find out when I get there, summat always turns up.

• Haha 4

Masterful carriagework throughout Bill - utterly compelling to see it coming into being in colour as well as shape.

Fascinating to imagine rocking across the city back then inside one of these eh? What sights and smells...

On 23/04/2021 at 18:22, Pete in Lincs said:

Anyway, how are you going to do the Horses leatherwork without Dubbin?

He's building the 'oss as well?

7 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Masterful carriagework throughout Bill - utterly compelling to see it coming into being in colour as well as shape.

Fascinating to imagine rocking across the city back then inside one of these eh? What sights and smells...

He's building the 'oss as well?

I think I am kinda going to have to Tony, there's a paucity of 'em.

I did make some moulds and a couple of castings when I built the Hansom and with several pieces of these lurking around in the shadows Dobbin should eventually emerge...

P1010045.jpg

Lets try that with less luminance huh?

P1010046.jpg

Extra blur to add mystery...

;)

• Like 5
  • Haha 5

A question for @Tomoshenko or @Fastcat if they can spare a minute.

How much 'darkness' shall I add to this colour to be close enough to BCT Dark Prussian Blue?

P1010050.jpg

Please ignore the incredibly rough wheel for now, it hasn't been sanded yet so it is just a rough knock together but will serve as a paint mule until...

Just because I get a quite decent dark blue on my monitor I could wonder if it is close enough but add a smidgeon of light and I get this.

P1010048.jpg

And that, to my memory is nowhere near...

• Like 7

A bit of black with a bit of NATO green, all Vallejo colours.

P1010070.jpg

In flash

P1010069.jpg

Lower section of the wheel

The boys will recognise that the pot of colour uses the interim colour taken on when the BCT became WMPTE, certainly has no corresponding role in painting horse drawn bussings

P1010071.jpg

The painted blob shows the original 'not even slightly right' Dark Prussian Blue, the next swatch in to the left shows the DPB with added NATO Dark Green.

The swatch in the centre shows the 'greened' sample with added Black

Later, when dry/ier I intend adding a coat of Humbrol Clear to see if it allows better contrast so

• Like 7

Humbrol Clear did have a decent effect on the 'New Street Blue' I invented

So I began rectifying the decrepit looking woodwork of the wheel

16197886983025781032467995100203.jpg

NSB is still visible on the spokes lower left, I think it will do and time will tell.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, giemme said:

That wheel is definitely looking good, Bill - even stripped down to the (almost) bare plastic :clap:

Ciao

Thank you G, I think these will eventually be good enough for the model, finger's crossed.

• Like 1

Sorry for the radio silence Bill. If memory serves (1970s meeting my dad at Quinton bus garage and having a cup of coffee and a KitKat in the canteen, not the late 19th century) they were quite dark. The blue on the later buses was much lighter, but the earlier ones were almost a midnight, blackish blue. So don't hold back on the darker shades (add black). The swatch on the far left with added black looks better. 

To emphasise my point, and aware of the fact that you are from the claret and blue side of the city, I think you'll appreciate this:

Guy-Arab.jpg

As you can see the blue is very dark and pretty much how I remember them. Permit me to add a personal anecdote, but sometimes when I met my dad at the bus garage and after he'd parked up the bus, on occasion he'd let me sit in the cab. Absolutely fantastic...

• Like 8

And a few more, original late 60s onwards this time, so colour is a little washed out. The number 5 to Perry Common (oop your way I believe Bill) is sporting the bland WMPTE logo, incomparable to the original city transport crest in my view. Dinner party fact, the crest is based on the original with the male figure on the dexter side and the female on the sinister side. I believe they swapped sides after we "annexed" [Royal] Sutton Coldfield.

https://thetransportlibrary.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=7726&category_id=206&page=3

https://thetransportlibrary.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=76&product_id=19171

https://www.xangisan.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=629827

• Like 1

Great pictures Tom, no doubt your absence can be explained over a conciliatory pint of ABK one evening

And of course Terry I was aware of an interest in really interesting things...

Dammit lad you even like the occasional jellycopter

I see a green base in that black looking blue Tom and my construct had a green element rather like that which Crisp offered in his RAFBlue Grey recipe, what do you think?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, perdu said:

I see a green base in that black looking blue Tom and my construct had a green element rather like that which Crisp offered in his RAFBlue Grey recipe, what do you think?

Agree Bill. I was going to suggest adding a dab of green to the black, but didn't want to complicate things, but complicated it is so add a dab of green.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, perdu said:

Dammit lad you even like the occasional jellycopter

I must confess, i do indeed. Whilst in confession mode could i also ask for several other offences to be taken into consideration, namely things that can land and take off from very small floating airfields, preferably painted EDSG and white, but EDSG and sky will do equally well, as indeed will stuff painted in silver dope and dayglo, and similar stuff that has no visible means of propulsion, but can still fly. I rest my case m' lod.

• Haha 3

On 12/7/2020 at 10:41 AM, perdu said:

(I am used to being told I am a dumb dolt :) )

I’m the dumb dolt for not finding my way here before....:blush:

There may be a few ‘likes’ whilst I catch up :whistle:

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Or maybe not, who knows kemosabe?

Just to prove (to my self mostly) that although inertia sets in nothing really stops at The Streetly Carriage Works I have been working up these damnable wheels and fettling the undercarriage.

I present for your scorn or amusement an essay in front axle-ery where the big bone connects to the thinner bone all supported with little actual glue intervention just a couple of dabs of Gator's Thick for presentation purposes.

P1010106.jpg

I really need to return to smelly glue for these, if it stays dry this arvo I may be able to slip outside to the garden table with a tube of Humbrol Polystyrene Adhesive.

Oh happy day if it happens.

Pop on the only available front wheel for comparison

P1010107.jpg

And it begins to look viable.

P1010108.jpg

As you can see I have actually finished (nearly) the rear wheels and tried a dry fit on the rear axle.

And for giggles I present the missing wheel, possibly get that trimmed and be-rimmed this afternoon*

P1010109.jpg

* I feel I must advise all commentators to abstain from excessive ribaldry from herein, in case we get a visit, from THE MAN.

Expect more work to be available soon, I bid thee farewell...

• Like 14