"Five Ways? Room on top!" A Brummagem horse drawn buzz in 1/32nd scale

perdu

I know you, Tomo and I'd be able to understand it Bob but I thought I'd make allowances for the foreigners.

I remember mom asking the conductor to put me off the 1A buzz at school in Broad Street when  was five.

Just thought it might need translating for Giorgio, early.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Funnily enough I built the Revell London bus into this for my mams 80th birthday. Shes a Brummie and its meant to represent the bus she went to work on in the 1950s. And yes I know about the typo 🙄😥

spacer.png

Edited by Ryedale Wolf
Typo
  • Like 9

22 hours ago, Broadway said:

Look at this, the top of New St

birmingham-new-street-and-the-post-offic

I've just realised this is the same picture as my first one but in a clean and beautifully uncropped form, thanks Broadway it really does prove it was New St but at the top not down by the Stephenson St end by the station.

I have just realised this is the same picture as my first one but in a clean and beautifully uncropped form, thanks Broadway it really does prove it was in New St but at the top not down by the Stephenson St end by the station.

• Like 2

"Move along the bus please"

And so, glacially we move along a bit.

The lower deck footwell area is now joined to its sides and front wall

P1010230.jpg

And the sloped rear hull is ready to be carved out of the flat card

P1010234.jpg

The undertub frame will be slotted in between the walls which will be carrying the fifth wheel where the fine pencil line crosses the longitudinal centre line

P1010235.jpg

Cut out but not yet stuck together, well that is it for now.

I am off to get my magnetic imagery resonanced, might be interesting huh.

• Like 11

Ooops, looks like postimg is sick for me at the moment Bill :(

I'll come back later.

Good luck with the MRI - don't forget to empty your pockets!

I just had to remove a chain my son gave me at Christmas many years ago after he began earning wages.

Feels really weird to be going out without wearing  it.

Thanks for good wishes too.

(wonder why they give MRI appointments for so late in the day, 6.15pm. Maybe they use lots of power and would blow the switches if they used it during normal hours.) :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

crap, I missed the bus and could only get on page 2 after a short sprint!

Glacial progress is good Bill - as long as you're quick about it. 

I see a nice, steady start here and this should be a very interesting and enjoyable (for us) build.  I loved the last equine affair and this is shaping up to be equally as good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

18 hours ago, perdu said:

Not bad, allowing for the typo. :)

Where did you find the colours for it?

I know you know BCT never ran Routemasters but it is beautifully done.

;)

Have to agree the RML does look rather good in that livery. I imagine the actual bus at the time might have been a Daimler CVG6 perhaps? 

I am a closet bus nerd I'm sorry to say!

Terry

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Have to agree the RML does look rather good in that livery. I imagine the actual bus at the time might have been a Daimler CVG6 perhaps? 

I am a closet bus nerd I'm sorry to say!

Terry

See my avatar, Guy Arab or the Daimlers Terry.

Cgvcbftbvfr oh Gawd knows and almost certainly you do too.

I am going to need to get researching colours soon.

• Haha 2

On 08/12/2020 at 17:44, bootneck said:

I spent much of my youff up there watching the regeneration being done c1957-1960.  I was sorry to see the old market go, the one with the large Roman style pillars out front, located where the new Bull Ring ramp was built.

I am currently building a model of Elmdon Airport and, as you are talking buses, I have been trying to find plans of the one on the right in this image.

spacer.png

I believe this bus in now in a museum somewhere in the midlands.

Mike

I’ve got a 1:76 resin kit of the Half cab I can get pics and measurements off until I am close to the 1:1 again

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, perdu said:

The Aston Manor Transport Museum has lots of photographs of their buses Terry

Thanks for that Bill. Just had a peek at their website, and a virtual mini tour. Very nice indeed. We have something a bit similar down this way at Basingstoke in the form of Milestones Living History Museum, and Beaulieu has one or two commercials but one of the mecca's of public "road" transport for me has to be Crich Tramway village in derbyshire - heaven!

At this rate you'll have me resurrecting my long abandoned bus builds, the main components are of course soldered together - tricky but very doable as @Heather Kay will attest I'm sure!

IMG20200322142633 IMG20200322142851

There's more where they came from too....

IMG20200322142244

Terry

aka closet bus nerd

• Like 9

Well yes you really should, you'd have no problems keeping it all lined up would you?

I one the other hand do have a problem of that nature to deal with because the side frames of the lower deck needed setting at an angle due to the taper on the side panels.

P1010232.jpg

Obviously we start with parallel lines but the induced taper takes command and pushes the top line of them out away from the shape we need.

Now I am sure truck, wagon and bus modellers have tried and tested techniques for bringing them back to a parallel section but I dont have the foreknowledge to cover the eventuality so it's time to get out of the box when thinking.

The top planks need setting parallel to the sides of the bus which will leave the box with a higher front than back but if I stick two planks along the top of  the side I am going to have planks getting further away from each other as we get closer to the platform.

I had a bit of a think about that and decided to try stopping the sides from diverging by cutting the planks out of a rectangle of card which I am going to leave on the boards until the side walls are glued in place.

So the rectangle cut out and a hole the size of the bus interior cut out.

P1010241.jpg

To the left is the front and it is square to the boardat that end.

The piece to the right will be cut off later so it didnt need squaring up.

The foot well/bed section has been glued to the upper board here and the long sequence of affixation begins

P1010244.jpg

Here only the front rail is fixed on and the side walls taper away underneath the side plank piece so then the side is fixed with Tamiya Green Glue.

And two bulldog clips.

P1010250.jpg

The other side is next for glueing down

P1010252.jpg

P1010257.jpg

Using the Bulldogs has made the shapes take up the proper positions so next glue that one down.

And now it's time to make up the side walls and build in the frame structures.

Wish me luck.

• Like 15

Still working it out as I go along and as it looks for now I may have to extend the floor pan length,  :(

We'll see later but this is enough for today.

P1010261.jpg

A reasonable fit to the plan shape and a partially bended roof/floor.

It may be time to seek passengers and crew.

1/32th Victorian or Edwardian seated and standing figures.

More horses.

• Like 11