"Five Ways? Room on top!" A Brummagem horse drawn buzz in 1/32nd scale

perdu

It has been an  interesting afternoon, yesterday I mean, with a real attempt at proper wainwrighting.

For the rear end which I admit to leaving alone due to fear I needed to carve the two structural pillars which seem to do almost everything.

The rear frame is formed around them basically and they make the portal into the lower deck once in place.

They need to brace against the inner floor and have the lower side panels built off them.

They need to hold up the roof of the lower deck and provide the base for the platform to be screwed to.

And the floor of the upper deck sits on them when the staircase is installed.

And they have two different parallel sections plus an angled receding bit that feeds loads into the floor from above, basically the two most important timbers I have found yet.

(But its early days yet, who knows?)

Two lengths of 0.080 x 0.250 Evergreen rectangulars, 3 and three quarters long marked to suit the various width and angle changes then mounted in  the bench vise.

Set the 'spare' plastic outside the jaws and attack the flat of the extrusion with a no 2 blade  so it can pare away unwanted waste plastic

P1010312.jpg

Keep going on both sides of the jaws until the first section lifts away.

Then reset the cut lanes for the opposite, wider side.

P1010313.jpg

P1010314.jpg

Then change the position of the strip to cover the angled lines, then again pare it away

Then do it again

P1010315.jpg

And begin tidying up the edges

Weird shapes huh?

P1010316.jpg

Now to get the tape measure out and trim them.

• Like 10

Tackled?

I wonder if that had the same source as tack for horses?

Hmm.

Anyway next to be tackled is the arch which gives the building on wheels its inherent strength.

This has been a series of "what do I do next, how do I get that radius, why is it that size across?" questions.

This arch runs from wall to wall and is common to front and back it seems, as it is the same curve at the front of the bus as at the back.

My non-mathematical head was confronted with a question which was pure mathematics, some geometry and possibly logarithmic progresions all of which were out of my comfort zone.

The radius of the roof curve must have a fixed * thing?

I tried looking at differing radii based on the estimated length of the model's dimension but different radii gave tighter or looser curves, not what I wanted so I worked out there must be a way to scale the curved shape and discovered whatever Euclid and the like discovered thousands of years ago.

What I needed was to draw the circle the right way using the angles of the original scaled down, in this case the angle of the roof curve is 29º from its centre of radius.

The length of  the radius was 4.03"

The resultant cutting out is shown here, marked out radiuses for the cut on 0.090" plasticard and after scribing away much of the waste we get.

P1010317.jpg

After cutting out the inner and outer radii

P1010320.jpg

The arch thus made is tested against its intended home

P1010321.jpg

Yeah that should do, now to build a bus.

Again.

Once the arch is installed on the frame those extra planky bits can be removed.

In the front of the bus's floor can be seen some of the coach bolts holding the fifth wheel in position.

• Like 15

By the dawn's early light I measured three times and cut twice (Reasons, I have reasons) and trimmed and fitted.

P1010323.jpg

I am going to build the cabin area before I take off the stiffening rear framework, that should then hold the side angles straight.

Measured and trimmed, as above the first time I tried a standing figure inside the bus he looked ridiculously short.

Then I remembered he was a Tamiya soldier to 1/35th scale, naturally of shorter stature no?

P1010081.jpg

This geezer is from 'day 1' before plans for scale finalised.

The top deck really was that cosy, best to keep your valuables well tucked in someplace hard to access for the Artful Dodger guv'ner.

• Like 10

Wow Bill, glad you were going slow enough for me to jump on! This build is amazing, you are showcasing your talents. I like the clamp gadget, might have to se in the Cape Watchmaker stocks such an item.

The photos in the early pages of the thread  are unbelievable.

I'll ride to the terminus if I may?

Colin

• Like 1

1 hour ago, perdu said:

Hi Colin, it's good to have you aboard sir.

Mind the stairs.

I haven't built 'em yet.

👍😆😆👍

It's a very interesting project. I like the photo support but then this what BM is all about. The PO is a magnificent piece of architecture.

I see Mini Art have released the 'Old Bill' bus, you got to build one! Unless like me you aren't a Mini Art fan? I'm building their Caterpillar dozer, not an easy build at all!

Colin

The Post Office building was not vandalised by Herbert Manzoni and remains in its glory at the top of New St.

I don't fancy building the motor bus myself and happily because my mate @Tomoshenko has plans in that direction at a later date it is not an issue.

👍😆

• Like 2

10 hours ago, perdu said:

P1010323.jpg

Beginning to take shape Bill, quite literally.

Yep the Airfix bus will form the base for my project.

Colin

As Bill states the building remains in all its glory - French Renaissance style, although quite unbelievably it was earmarked for demolition in 1972-73 and to be replaced with a high rise scheme, fortunately saved by a campaign by the Victorian Society!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Moving down the bus to the front I am beginning making the front wall of the lower deck.

(I wonder why it was down the bus, not up the bus? Anyway I digress, on and on.)

The centre panel which is under the driver's legs  has a window which drops down so the conductor can communicate with him in times of need and also has the way-bill attached inside the front wall.

This is the strongest part of the front and I began with cutting out the curved, drop down window.

P1010324.jpg

And the inner part which sits in the recess.

P1010331.jpg

like so

P1010336.jpg

In the mean time I will be needing passengers, what good is an empty bus?

Unless you have been at the stop for half an hour and four fully loaded ones have driven past...

So I need people to sit on it and my leads for Preiser ones petered out as dead ends.

Well I do have these...

P1010326.jpg

Lots of pieces of Airfix Connoisseur figure parts with nothing else to do but to transform into.. Else, Maggie and maybe Ena.

Some of them can be Tom, Dickon or Harry too.

P1010328.jpg

There are two Bengal lancer figures too, and enough bits to make drawing the coach an OK tasking.

Three horse rig for the bus too.

Laters folks, a bientot!

• Like 13

27 minutes ago, perdu said:

So I need people to sit on it and my leads for Preiser ones petered out as dead ends.

This sort of place has a few Bill, if you have a look around. I think there are some roughly from the era you need?

https://www.modelu3d.co.uk/product-category/finescale-figures/railway-and-lineside/

I should add, cos they are 3D printed, you get to pick your scale from the drop down for each set.

Terry

• Like 2

I thought I would have some locked in locked down entertainment so I took a torso and a kilted pair of legs and give old-ladyness a try

(from those bits and bobs I showed you)

The marching legs needed re-posturing and the torso needed serious old-ladying

And lashings of ginger beer Tamiya Green top

Then we got this

P1010342.jpg

I gave him/her a sit down in the bus

P1010345.jpg

Looking OK for scale so that will do

No flash no focus no skill  :(  Shoulda used the tripod and flash huh? Mebbe tomorrow huh?

P1010346.jpg

P1010347.jpg

This is intended to look a little like the drawing on the right.

P1010348.jpg

When finished, imagine Victorian style black and greys.

The bus itself gets a beginning on the front end, this phase will take a while, think 'Glacial'

P1010339.jpg

An early front panel attempt, now altered again

P1010338.jpg

The hinges in the driver's access show up quite nicely in this one

And the roof is on to allow assessment and checking, 'tain't near ready to be glued though seven roof stays to be added across from side to side.

P1010337.jpg

Building the inside dashes on at speed.

Glacial we calls it.

• Like 13

Good things take time Bill. Plus it's kind of you to build a carriage especially for the headless horseman who appears to have lost his horse as well as his head ... he's definitely having a bad day.

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, CedB said:

I formally hand you my figure surgery award! That's what I call chopping… :) 

Nice progress Bill.

And he's left the feet on!

The bus and figure both look good, although "her" legs must be a tad cold. Not sure which would have got more comments: no skirt or no head!

Ian

• Haha 7

Bill, I've found a 1/32nd figure. Possibly from an ancient Airfix vintage car? Compared to other 1/32nd male figures, she is a bit small.

But the clothing looks about right for your bus, so she will pass for a young Girl, and she is unpainted.

Yours for the cost of a PM with your address.

Merry Christmas.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Oh my. I didn’t know you had started this Bill. After working at Five ways island for just over 20 years before we moved to the custard factory how could I not follow along with this beauty? I’m just in awe. Totally amazing skills. 👌👌👌👏👏🙌🙌🙌🙌 on board sir.

From one Brummie to another. 🤗 

Johnny

• Thanks 1

Wishing you all a very happy new year, with burgeoning hopes for a massive improvement all round.

Let's face it, its hard to imagine how it could be worse.

And in the death of last year my postman delivered these folks, my last Christmas present direct from Pete in Lincs.

Thank you mate.

P1010407.jpg

He was an unexpected bonus Pete thank you.

Do you remember in the preamble to this ramble through the deadwood in my mind I mentioned not making wheels with their umpteen part rims, fellies they call 'em.

I described removing any plasticard that is not wheel from the sheets.

It begins...

P1010402.jpg

It is inevitable that waste plastic occurs when using a cutting protractor so these circles are well over sized at the beginning , there's a madness in this reasoning tha' knows.

After starting the rims with the protractor I transferred my efforts (and by god it really was an effort working 80 thou polycard) to my little compass cutter.

P1010404.jpg

The said compass cutter is incredibly uncomfortable to use on thick plasticard but I got there in the end.

P1010405.jpg

These blanks then need the un-rim extracting.

This was done by virtue of Britmodeller's legendary generosity, many moons and other planetary movements ago I received an unexpected parcel in the post from Ireland.

Perplexed I opened it to find a complete button lathe with ancillaries inside,with a note.

"I had two, you didnt have one, please accept this gift as a gift" signed by the main man in Bonnie Ireland.

No, not the teeshirt but our mate Tony, a debt I can never repay (except with embarrassment, thanks Tony. You are a true gentleman)

So having rim extraction facilities set up in the garage vise I braved the freeeeeze and began extracting.

A big enough central hole allowed me to superglue the centres of the rings together and screw a flat headed set screw into a plastic hose held in the chuck of the lathe coupling the pair of wheel blanks into the lathe.

Like so.

16094378070873939933360669393764.jpg

Yes it was vibrating whilst the sheets were still eccentric, that soon settled down as balance was installed.

16094379837697879376745818473942.jpg

16095072101532886379630917875902.jpg

With the outside diameter achieved then I began rim making by cutting away the un-rims, the 2mm chisel I used is sitting in the milled slot in the lathe bed here.

Eventually.

1609511129714627632391537392335.jpg

We have two rear wheel rims.

No, sadly I wasnt able to (I tried believe me) get the smaller front wheel rims out of the same pair of blanks.

I had to take a tad more than I wanted off the centre piece to get the outers out and didnt think a 1mm chisel would have given me enough control in the trench I was cutting out of the plastic, but who knows?

Oh well this morning I shall be heading back into satan's freezer to turn another, smaller pair of rims.

Keep warm folks!

• Like 16

On 28/12/2020 at 00:29, The Spadgent said:

Oh my. I didn’t know you had started this Bill. After working at Five ways island for just over 20 years before we moved to the custard factory how could I not follow along with this beauty? I’m just in awe. Totally amazing skills. 👌👌👌👏👏🙌🙌🙌🙌 on board sir.

From one Brummie to another. 🤗 

Johnny

Can you move down the front a bit please Johnny, I wouldnt want you to miss the scenic pleasures of Broad Street in the nineteen noughties.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1