"Five Ways? Room on top!" A Brummagem horse drawn buzz in 1/32nd scale

perdu

2 minutes ago, Fritag said:

Just found them wheels fully formed in the spares box then Bill? :hmmm:Don’t think so……….:D  (Ditto for other multi-various sub assemblies of choice…) 

I wish, but...

(Have you looked in to the Horse drawn hearse being built nearby to this thread, that is what I ought to be considering. I wonder how.)

Toolmaking.

P1010304.jpg

Two workshop essentials combine to give me a construction jig for the seat slats.

Pencil lines applied with an engineers square give me datum marks when needed, more seating is coming...

:cheers:

Pass me that bottle.

• Like 4

Monkey learning to use tool

P1010308.jpg

I can use the pencil lines on the veteran (or is it vintage) Bud opener but I do need to find a way to use the tool to lay the slats from the same point.

Doh!

• Like 5

Do it by eye, do it early in the day and you get.

Three offside seats done, ready to fettle for fit.

First of four nearside seats under weigh, done by eye with untired eyes, phew.

P1010314.jpg

The unclamped end sits 'floating' below the slat ends on the cunningly designed jig, this seat will be given its pair of back panels before I whip it out of the jig to begin number five of seven.

Blimey I wish It was being assimilated/assemblated for me by a borg bird, maybe not.

Coming on, at  the moment I am trying to calculate how much would really have been Blue and Cream and which bits might have been yellow.

Photographs are open to interpretation on the point but differing colours are really obvious on some pictures.

OK research continues...

• Like 8

This is a bus in the livery I am aiming for, the dark colour is probably/possibly the indigo/cobalt dark blue I intend using and I have no doubt the lightest band of colour is an early interpretation of Brum Cream.

bearwood-stables.jpg

What is giving me pause is the other light but not as light as cream colour that forms  the upper frames and from the look of it, the undercarriage too

I cannot see it as beige, back then, beigification of everything doesn't seem to be something a Victorian Council, proud of its fleets would go in for.

The London fleets of the time seem to have used yellow on the underframes and I thing  this is where I will be going with paint unless you folks can give me a second think at it all

This looks like cream with yellow too.

10318-01.jpg

Thoughts kind folks please?

• Like 5

Just caught up Bill. Proper bostin' workmanship. Seats look superb, even if they are a tad monotonous to build. I don't think 22nd century cybernetic organisms would be particularly interested in assimilating 19th century Brummie bus seats (19th century Brummies perhaps) - fortunately we never found out.

Reference the interior colours, I know the Airfix colour for the B Type omnibus is cream for some of the interior (Humbrol 103) which is circa 1910. Yep I know it is for the London transport livery but I don't think it is too much of a leap of faith to assume that cream colour shades could have been adopted by many transport companies up and down the country for parts of the interior (ceilings) and exteriors? They wouldn't have had the vast range of colours the PTEs had obviously. I think Brum Cream is certainly plausible. Perhaps a call to Farrow & Ball and recommend it as an addition to their heritage range.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A coat of Humbrol BR Cream on the wheels to act as a discloser

Ooer missus isnt there a lot to do

16275724641496503228673500903824.jpg

Oh well it does point me at problem already, one of the twelve spokers does show a gap in the spoke

And lots of thinning and trimming needed too, that'll keep me off the streets.

The upstairs seating is all but done so there will be paint soon.

Chocolate or Brum Blue?

• Like 11

58 minutes ago, perdu said:

Chocolate or Brum Blue?

Of course I know nothing of such things in a factual way, but I imagine the seats might look right painted Chocolate?

Terry

• Thanks 1

I think so too Terry, the downstairs seating is chocolate, can't imagine they would go for a different look upstairs.

But I am always open to well reasoned consideration.

Cheers mate.

I think Brum tram seats were brown too, casting my mind back nearly seventy years...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Loving the wheels Bill but those benches are something else. 🙌🙌🙌

Johnny

Agreed 100%!  :worthy:

Ciao 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Glad you like it, you have just ordered JT's plans I will be following yours too.

The whole public transport 'thing' does it for me, expect I'll scratch a horse tram next.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, perdu said:

Glad you like it, you have just ordered JT's plans I will be following yours too.

The whole public transport 'thing' does it for me, expect I'll scratch a horse tram next.

where do you get your JT plans from

4 hours ago, Kevin Aris said:

where do you get your JT plans from

I got the plans I have from The Model Wheelwright, which I had to adapt (as this was entered as a whim) and since the scale I used is 'un-modelwheelwright-ish' I expected difficulty getting the plans but the team sent me them after just an enquiry, brilliant service.

I do think I may have to draw my own for the tram though...

:)

I finished tidying the wheels and considering this picture I have given the forecarriage (?) bits a gentle coat of BR Cream bearwood-stables.jpg

The darker light colour looks as if it could actually be this shade (or hue?) so I think I will be giving the entire body a coat too and then use the Birmingham livery cream to highlight the bus along the middle body stripe, as above

P1010321.jpg

P1010320.jpg

The top rail above the windows looks to be Birmingham Blue like the side and end panels.

With the body all pretty in cream I am considering using coloured decal sheets to allow the lighter colour to predominate like on the B&W photo above, I will have to print the name of the owners in the golden hues of impossibleness.

:P

I suppose I am going to need the same technique for the adverts that run up the stair panel too.

• Like 9