B-24J ball turret retraction

ckw

I'm building the 1/72 Hasegawa B-24J but having a hard time figuring out what to do with the ventral ball turret.

As far as I can make out it was seldom extended on the ground (except for PR pics showing how cramped it was!) But I cannot find any decent pics which show the exact position of the turret when retracted viewed externally. How far in did it retract? Which way are the guns pointing and at what angle?

Cheers

Colin

Perfect -exactly what I needed. Wasn't aware of the troughs for the gun barrels - not provided on the kit part, but an easy fix.

Many thanks

Colin

6 hours ago, ckw said:

Wasn't aware of the troughs for the gun barrels - not provided on the kit part, but an easy fix.

Hi Colin,

The Hasegawa B-24J kit E29 provides the slots for the gun barrels. Part D5 attaches to the two stand-offs molded on underside of Part A4. Once the fuselage is assembled, D5 closes the opening aft of the ball turret. This leaves the slots for the barrels. The slots are open to the interior. Making the structure to box in the slots is a little bit of work for you.

Don 

Edited by don f
Typo correction Part A4 is correct.
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, don f said:

The Hasegawa B-24J kit E29 provides the slots for the gun barrels. Part D5 attaches to the two stand-offs molded on underside of Part A4. Once the fuselage is assembled, D5 closes the opening aft of the ball turret. This leaves the slots for the barrels. The slots are open to the interior. Making the structure to box in the slots is a little bit of work for you.

Yes, I see that - but I think my approach will be to cut slots in D5 ... but not that far along yet. Foolishly decided to pose the waist gunner ports open which of course means scratch building an interior for the waist gunner's position. Unlike the ball turret I have seen many pics of B-24s with these open on the ground ... I'm guessing it might be for ventilation.

Cheers

Colin

8 hours ago, ckw said:

Unlike the ball turret I have seen many pics of B-24s with these open on the ground ... I'm guessing it might be for ventilation.

Liberator interiors were notorious for accumulating fuel vapour.  It was SOP keep the bomb bay doors at least partially open whilst on the ground so fumes wouldn't accumulate to explosive levels.  

The Hasegawa B-24s are good kit.  Will you be sharing your build with the rest of us, Colin?

5 minutes ago, Jackson Duvalier said:

Will you be sharing your build with the rest of us, Colin?

I do plan to model it with bomb bay open (just want to decide on the best way to replicate the venetian blind effect - probably gentle scribing). But the need for venting would explain why the waist positions are often open,

I keep meaning to do a WIP but I haven't sorted out a fast and efficient method of photo sharing yet - my current method would double the length of the build! And I think my first WIP will be a little less ambitious than the Liberator!

Cheers

Colin

59 minutes ago, ckw said:

I keep meaning to do a WIP but I haven't sorted out a fast and efficient method of photo sharing yet - my current method would double the length of the build!

Can confirm, having done one (1) WIP myself.  

I did find it kept me focused on that particular build (the single build I've managed to complete in this horrid year) and the effort to report progress minimised the woolgathering that typically bedevils my modelling efforts.  I'd encourage you to try it, at least once.

It would be very nice of you to expose any avoidable pitfalls so I won't bodge my expensive Hasegawa Liberator kits.   😉

3 hours ago, ckw said:

I keep meaning to do a WIP but I haven't sorted out a fast and efficient method of photo sharing yet ...

After photo bucket messed up their business, I was recommend http://village.photos/. It's free, not good if you have a load of photos, but will host a small amount to allow you to show pictures here on BM

/Finn

Using parts from my stalled B-24J project, here's the dry fit of the fuselage with the ball turret opening.

spacer.png

Off topic, one of the annoying tasks when building the interior of the waist area is the need to make tiny oxygen bottles. Many of the bottles are visible near the waist gun positions. Fortunately, Quickboost 72-319 has 14 G-1 bottles and same number of smaller walk-around bottles. I'm not sure what these smaller bottles represent as I've not measured them. If you choose to make your own G-1 bottles, based a measurements of a full size item, these are approximately 12 5/8" OD and 22 1/2" L. Here's the typical 24 bottle installation.

spacer.png

Don

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/8/2020 at 12:05 PM, ckw said:

I do plan to model it with bomb bay open (just want to decide on the best way to replicate the venetian blind effect - probably gentle scribing).

I'm not sure what you mean by "venetian blind effect."  The outer skin of the bomb bay doors is just a flat sheet metal.  The inner surface is ribbed, allowing the doors to curve as they open and close. 

mDwHmOf.jpg

If you don't feel like trying to detail the kit doors, Quickboost makes a set of replacements.

72321.jpg

Cheers!

Steve

I mean the lines of rivets and slight indentation along the rib lines - looks sort of like a closed venetian blind in my opinion and I've always thought it  part of the look of a B-24 - your pic illustrates the effect very well

3 hours ago, Steve N said:

If you don't feel like trying to detail the kit doors, Quickboost makes a set of replacements.

Not a fan of aftermarket - for me its all about trying the best of what's provided (with a little scratch building here and there).

On 09/12/2020 at 23:00, don f said:

Off topic, one of the annoying tasks when building the interior of the waist area is the need to make tiny oxygen bottles.

I know! I'm modifying some spare bombs to play the part. In terms of visibility I think I can get away with just those around the waist gun position, Using Kermit Weeks' B-24 (apparently in very orginal condition), I think I can get away with 5. Those between the waist and tail won't be visible anyway (at least once the model's on the shelf.

Cheers

Colin

On 12/12/2020 at 6:01 PM, ckw said:

I mean the lines of rivets and slight indentation along the rib lines - looks sort of like a closed venetian blind in my opinion and I've always thought it  part of the look of a B-24 - your pic illustrates the effect very well

Not a fan of aftermarket - for me its all about trying the best of what's provided (with a little scratch building here and there).

Ah, I get it.  The ancient Revell B-24D actually had corrugation on the bomb bay doors (molded closed with no interior.)  I use my share of aftermarket bits, but I agree it's fun to exercise my scratchbiulding skills.  I started building back in the 70s, before there was any such thing as the aftermarket. 😊

SN

On 12/12/2020 at 6:01 PM, ckw said:

On 12/12/2020 at 2:41 PM, Steve N said:

If you've got a pounce wheel riveter you could make relatively short work of the job.  If you really want to gild the lily you could use a very convex blade to scrape parallel lines at appropriate intervals and then rivet down them.  

If I'm ever imprisoned or marooned on a desert island with a B-24 kit and my tools, I'd like to model a Liberator with all the wrinkles and creases that develop under flight stress.

5 hours ago, Jackson Duvalier said:

I'd like to model a Liberator with all the wrinkles and creases that develop under flight stress.

Agreed - they never look quite right with a smooth skin! I have seen YouTube videos on how this can be replicated, but beyond my skill/patience level!

I'm a bit of a completist collector so am always balancing the amount of work I put into any one model against the desire to add another subject to the collection

Cheers

Colin

These may be of interest to you. The interior of the bomb bay had lots of equipment, wiring, cables and tubing.  Stuffing the bomb bay with 1,000# GP bombs and perhaps bomb bay fuel tanks in the forward bay may save you much work.

B-24-bomb-bay-doors-description.jpg

B-24-Bomb-Bay-doors-drawing.jpg

B-24-Bomb-Bay-Doors-Mechanism.jpg

Here's the interior of the doors. Note the piano hinged top section. The Quickboost item appears to have captured this detail.

B-24-Bomb-Bay-Doors-2-662x229.jpg

dsc10669.jpg

Steve N, is this your image?

B24-Fuselage-4s.jpg

Don