RAF Jaguar intake colours

Pappy

G'day people,

What colour were the intakes painted for the wraparound green RAF jags?

I would assume the forward parts had the exterior camo colours painted inside for a certain distance , but then what colour was the rest of the inlet duct?

Unpainted metal? I don't think they were white, for some reason I am thinking of a dirty green or zinc chromate perhaps?

cheers,

Pappy

Green to the back of the box ( just behind the back aux intake door where the box splits from the fuselage ) then zinc chromate to the engine

Edited by JagRigger
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, JagRigger said:

Green to the back of the box ( just behind the back aux intake door where the box splits from the fuselage ) then zinc chromate to the engine

Awesome, exactly the answer I needed, thanks.

Would the green be substituted for grey (not the temp ARTF) in the later paint scheme ?

14 hours ago, Julien said:

Never trust a restoration...................

Well intended but oftena  trap for young playas'

3 hours ago, rodenlee said:

Which Jag are you building Pappy??

I don't have any specific tail in mind but 'prolly a 54SQN jag for the camo jet

Yes - when they went grey so did the inside of the intake box. The zinc chromate trunking used to get very dirty and stained due to hyd oil / fuel seepage

If you look at Julian's pics in the walkaround section you'll see wht I mean !

bwj32.JPG

Edited by JagRigger
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Pappy said:

Awesome, exactly the answer I needed, thanks.

Would the green be substituted for grey (not the temp ARTF) in the later paint scheme ?

Well intended but oftena  trap for young playas'

I don't have any specific tail in mind but 'prolly a 54SQN jag for the camo jet

1/48?  Airfix or Kitty Hawk??

14 hours ago, rodenlee said:

1/48?  Airfix or Kitty Hawk??

Gotcha,

I have one of each. The KH kit looks great in the box and I have read the horror stories involved in its assembly. It seems the fit is an issue if the builder wants to depict the panels closed. The Airfix (re-boxed by Heller/Revell as well) kit is the old faithful kit which builds quickly and quite well but is rather poor in comparison to the surface and internal detail provided by KH. It also includes correct RAF type wing pylons and an external fuel tank, plus it can be had for up to  price at swapmeets. You can use the money saved for after market stuff insead

Understood Pappy

I have recently finished a KH Jag single seater (see Ready for Inspection).  It certainly does have some fit issues with closed panels but nothing particularly earth shattering.  I too have the Airfix kit and robbed bits and pieces to build the KH Jag- most notably the tanks and pylons...and other bits that I lost during the build-gotta get stronger glasses.

I must admit the majority of the difficulty I had in building the kit were self-induced by not following the instructions- knowing too much for my own good!

I have a T2/T4 to build and will keep an eye out for another GR1/3 as I'm keen to do a late model grey one- maybe someone will be scared off by the various build reviews!!

I probably have some left over decals for a camo aeroplane if you need any?

Cheers 

Shaun

G'day Shaun,

My Airfix will likely be wraparound camo jet and the KH will be an all grey affair, PM me off board ref spare decals. I will have a rummage and see what I have.

I assume I have all I need as I squirrelled stuff away a while back but it has been a little while since I peered inside the boxes!

cheers,

Pappy