Tiger1

Smithy1961

Long time ago I built one of the Tamiya 1/35 scale Tiger 1 offerings. It came with separate track links (the most "difficult" and tedious part of the built). Other than that and the fact that I had to apply the zimmerit with putty the model was really easy to built and looks the part. No interior though.

This web site http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/vehicles/afvclub/afv35079.htm gives you an idea of the AFV model, as well as they do some comparisons with the Tamiya.

Overall, seems to be that any of them would do.

Now, if you are talking about 1/48th scale, the AFV Club Tiger 1 is regarded as the best in that scale, even above Tamiya, which is a very good one.

Stay safe and have a good one.

It also depends which version of the Tiger you want: "earlier" or "later".  AFV Club only offer the steel-wheel "late" type.  Over the years Tamiya have produced several Tiger kits from "early" to "late", and of variable accuracy and quality.  Their last new-tool kit was 1989 (#35146): everything since then has been new parts on that base.  That being said, the AFV Club kits still date from 2005.

Neither brand offers moulded Zimmerit, although there are the nice Attak resin sets, the less-nice Eduard etched brass sets and now self-adhesive options for zimmerit as well as the traditional putty option, for which several imprinting tools are available.

The AFV Club kits would seem to be better in most respects than all but the very latest Tamiya offerings and include metal gun barrels and some metal and/or resin parts too.  All have vinyl tracks, so if you don't like those you'd have to make your choice of plastic, resin or white metal individual links - some of which will cost you more than the kits!

Hello Smithy1961,

If I understand you correctly you have a choice of either of (or maybe both ;)).
It is not as if you are looking for advice on the best Tiger 1 EVER ( a somewhat meaningless discussion IMO ) right?

So - I can only offer advice on the 1/35 kits, since I have kits from both in that scale.

I fully agree with what is said above. 

In terms of detail the AFV offering is far superior to the Tamiya one. The suspension can be assembled to move with separate torsion bars, idler wheels are spring loaded, turned metal barrel already mentioned and last but not least, the correct shape of the turret (all rivet counters can relax).

In terms of ease of build the opposite is true. Sort of comes without saying - with  added detail comes complexity. And if you want to get to the weathering stage quickly Tamiya should be your first option.

Then the real divider: Zimmerit to be or not to be. None of the above will have it out of box as already stated.
So do you want it ? You will need it if you are looking for an accurate that ultimate build.

Make or buy?

Don't break you neck about it - it is your kit and I am sure you will have loads of fun with it regardless!

Your question was about the best way to go right? I would go to Alan Hamby's site The Tiger 1 Information Center http://www.alanhamby.com/tiger.html and pic a reference picture of interest.

If you find one that suits the kits you can chose from - make your decision and go from there.
And feel free to ask all those questions - Tiger I's can easily become an obsession :)

Looking forward to more details on your options here!

Best Regards
Zack

If you are planning to have Zimmerit on your Tigger, than I would strongly recommend that you buy it as an aftermarket set. I tried to add Zimm with the old putty / screwdriver / loads of patience route and it REALLY did not go well. Once I discovered that Milliput is almost impossible to remove in a "subtle" way from the sides of a Tiger turret, the kit did a graceful swan-dive into the bin. A real waste of time, money and effort. 

Whilst some folk have had great results using this home-brew procedure, I found it VERY easy to get wrong. And, let's face it, very few people who view your tank will ever appreciate all the work you put into the Zimmerit.  

Chris.