Airfix 1/72 Sea Harriers

Evening all,

A couple of quick builds I've just completed, kits of which I have had in the stash for many years and only just found the inspiration to build.

I added pavla cockpit sets, nozzles and gun pack, plus a master pitot. Painted with MRP paints and W&N oil washes.

Thanks for looking, gazza l

First up the FSR-1, a few shape issues I feel, particularly around the cockpit/nose, plus the very deep panel lines.

DSC_1026 - Copy

DSC_1028 - Copy

DSC_1029

The FA-2 a slightly better kit but still with the deep panel lines.

DSC_1017

DSC_1018

DSC_1019

DSC_1021

• Like 45
  • Thanks 1

A beautiful pair of Sea Harriers! I like them and I don´t think that the panel lines are a big issue. In my view, the current 1/72 Airfix Harrier kits are much better than most earlier releases from other manufacturers. For example, the Fujimi Harriers may not have that deep panel lines but in comparison to these modern kits they are a nightmare to assemble and are clearly showing their age.

Edited by 112 Squadron
  • Thanks 2

I think, those are typical Airfix kits with their panel lines design. Considering I don´t like rescribing soft or shallow panel lines 🤔, I prefer to have deep lines.  

So from my point of view, very nice builds there 👍 :clap:  and I am inspired to take my Harrier from the stash and build it too 🙂

• Thanks 1

They'd be most welcome in my cabinet!

I have the FRS.1 in my stash, the above images have tempted me to move it further up the pecking order!

I actually like Airfix's panel lines at 1/72, it prevents the need to use techniques like panel shading as the lines capture the light well enough.

At 1/48 then the fine line and rivet detail is great but it is too often too busy at 1/72 when a representation of the aircraft is the best you'll hope for unless you are an 'Ace' modeller.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Richard Cawsey said:

You complain about the deep panel lines, and then you deliberately accentuate them even further with dark washes. I don't understand. . .

I know, you couldn't make it up could you? I'll go away and think long and hard about what I have done! 😄

10 hours ago, Pat C said:

Very nice pair of Harriers - shot of them together perhaps??!!

Pat

Thanks Pat,

Unfortunately I didn't take a shot of them together but here is another shot of my increasing Harrier collection. I'll get a shot of them all together when I get time

DSC_0755
  • Like 5

A terrific pair of Sea Harriers and a nice family shot of their RAF counterparts.  I especialy like the early Sea Harrier scheme as was applied to Phantoms, Sea Vixens and Scimitars before.  I can;t believe I haven't got an FA.2 in stash mountain.  Something I must rectify. 

• Thanks 1