Hawker Hurricane Mk.1 1/48

dushix

Hello everybody!
Two years ago, I started making Hurricane from ARK-models.

50687757042_e38e5f9265_c.jpgark-models-ark48024-istrebitel-hawker-hurricane-sovetskie-vvs-148 by Andrew Zhi, on Flickr
The model is not of high quality, so I decided to thoroughly redo it.
I want to make this plane in the version of the Irish air force.
I decided to make a model with open hatches on the fuselage. I don't use the aftermarket. Everything is done manually.From the wire soldered the fuselage truss. The dashboard is homemade. From plastic and wire I make the cockpit filling.The motor is made of a piece of plastic.
If someone has a photo of Irish hurricanes-please help!

50687677686_467e6c60d3_c.jpg11 by Andrew Zhi, on Flickr

50687678291_0cca16df2d_c.jpg3 by Andrew Zhi, on Flickr

50687678526_5c9be25bd5_c.jpg2 by Andrew Zhi, on Flickr

50686928628_bf1394f356_c.jpg002 by Andrew Zhi, on Flickr

50687759597_55cf6d2afa_c.jpg8 by Andrew Zhi, on Flickr

50687758797_90a339ae2b_c.jpg12 by Andrew Zhi, on Flickr

50687676336_92775e55fb_c.jpg16 by Andrew Zhi, on Flickr

50686926388_99063ba39b_c.jpg15 by Andrew Zhi, on Flickr

50686926683_cda18660c6_c.jpg14 by Andrew Zhi, on Flickr

• Like 14

Thanks!
I have Irish decals from the Italeri set.
But there is a question about the color scheme. Italeri indicates the top of the plane is green and brown, but there is information that they were not brown, but gray. So I'm looking for exact colors.

The colour will depend on the Air Corps number and the period/year of your subject.

The first Mk.1s to arrive were accidental landings and the Hurricanes were Dark Brown/Dark Green. 

Later some Mk.1s were bought and some were Dark Earth/Dark Green and some were Ocean Grey/Dark Green as all these were drawn from RAF stocks.

The Hurricanes did not get a uniform colour scheme until about 1946

1 minute ago, dushix said:

I have these decals. I hope they are correct. The prototype photo is only black and white...

the decals are OK,  but the '93' is an unusual Hurricane, P5178, being one of a 40 built in Canada.

by unusual, these Canadian built planes retained the original curved lower windscreen and external armour, they also did not have the rectangular fabric covered access hatch on the starboard side (which you have already cut out)

It also has a De Havilland Hurricane propeller.  The Ark kit has 3 types of spinner, but not this type.(it has the De Havilland Spitfire type as used on some early Hurricanes)    The new tool Airfix kit has the right kind of spinner as a spare. 

Hawker-Hurricane-I-Irish-AF-P3416-Irelan

Colours, when P5178 landed in Eire, the standard scheme would have been Dark Green/Dark Earth over Sky.  

As can be seen, the RAF markings have been over painted,  I presume as the Irish operated several British types,  retaining British paint,  they had stock of British paint for repairs.

It has been suggested that the underside of 93 were repainted silver, as P5178/93 belly landed. 

Note, the Ark has the two spinners shown in the post war line up of Mk.I's below

Hawker-Hurricane-I-Irish-AF-line-up-01.j

Note. the 4 plane, has the number III, which could be easily made from black decal strip.  This has the Hurricane Rotol propeller fitted, and the same type of windscreen as the ARK kit

the colours of the above planes have been described as being Dark Green/Ocean Grey upper with Medium Sea Grey underside, (standard RAF Day Fighter Scheme) but the Hurricane IIc used by the Irish (115-120) look to be in the Night Intruder scheme Dark Green over Medium Sea Grey

iachurryiic2.jpg

Note, the worst part of the Ark kit is the wheel well and 3 piece wing underside,   Very impressive scratchbuilding work. 

• Like 1

Your information is very useful! Thanks!
I didn't understand anything about the windshield. Why is this so unusual? Is there a photo where you can see this big glass?
The hatch in the side will be restored. You're right! The photo shows that it is missing.
I will make the propeller again. I will use the photo for this work.
You know the ARK set very well. This is impressive!

28 minutes ago, dushix said:

I didn't understand anything about the windshield. Why is this so unusual? Is there a photo where you can see this big glass?

early Hurricanes had a windshield which has a curved lower screen, and no armour glass, armour glass then added externally.  This is only seen on early British built Hurricanes ( I can think of one exception) 

But, the Canadian built Hurricane still had this screen.

early screen. Seen on L1952 at Science Museum in London. Note this is the De Havilland Hurricane propeller.

hurricane_mk1_l1592_03_of_26.jpg

from http://primeportal.net/hangar/mark_hayward/hurricane_mk1_l1592/

42089303420_1cee9a8e8b_h.jpg

this is the Finnish Hurricane,  with the standard windscreen, not the frontal glass is higher, and there are two cross supports. 

The Finnish Hurricane also has the Spitfire type De Havilland prop, the Spitfire has a bigger nosering than the hurricane, so the spinner is a bit too big for the nose of the Hurricane,  this is the DH unit in the Ark kit.

the Ark kit main parts are copied from the old tool Airfix mk.I,  but the detail parts, cockpit, UC legs, wheels, are copied from the Hasegawa kit.  They also added some new parts, later Rotol spinner, camera pack, arrestor hook.

If Ark had not copied the Airfix wheel well, with the upper/lower split line join,  and made a one piece lower wing, the kit would be OK,   As it is, it is very hard to build without a lot of work to support the wing.   

Finally, as the wing is copied from old Airfix, it is a little too thin from the front.    I see some drawings in one picture, which ones are they?

• Like 1

50692177566_cdc9748ed5_c.jpgThis might help too.

Afaik the during the emergency (the official Irish name for WWII) any British planes that landed in Ireland were commandeered and the pilots interned,  but the full value of the planes was paid to the British authorities and the pilots were allowed to slip back home. There would also have been batches of aircraft bought from the British as well.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

On 12/7/2020 at 6:06 PM, Troy Smith said:

I believe the pilot flying 93 in the photos was actually RAF. Flt Lt Don West who'd been sent over to train the Air Corps pilots on the Hurricane. So much for so called neutrality. 

13 hours ago, noelh said:

So much for so called neutrality. 

As such a minor power Ireland wanted to hedge it’s bets. Had Nazi Germany beaten the British we’d probably have been next. At least we had the good sense to bend the rules in favour of Britain.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Marklo said:

As such a minor power Ireland wanted to hedge it’s bets. Had Nazi Germany beaten the British we’d probably have been next. At least we had the good sense to bend the rules in favour of Britain.

Indeed and in fact there was a great deal more cooperation than was known at the time. Even to the extent of building an advanced landing ground for the RAF in case of invasion. The Air Corps spent a lot of time recovering allied aircraft and handing them back with equipment supplied by the RAF. 

The Hurricanes were part of that cooperation. 

On 08/12/2020 at 10:36, dushix said:

Many thanks for your help!
You have given a volume of information that answers many questions.
Super!

Britmodeller's members have this ability... I once thought I knew something about Hurricanes - turns out I absolutely "know nothing, John T"

Your work is amazing! Count me in to follow.

• 1 year later...

Hello, colleagues!
It's been a long time since my Hurricane was waiting...

So, I abandoned the idea of a soldered frame and made everything out of plastic rods.
I re-made the fuselage frame and the engine frame.
I equipped the frame with little things - what was in the cockpit, and also added an imitation of the control system -
elevator and rudder cables.
Pipelines and a platform for radio equipment also appeared on the frame, which is also being manufactured.
I glued an additional cutout on the right side - as suggested by colleagues from the British model - the Irish Hurricane should not have this cutout, because it is Mk1.
I applied the paint to the inner surface of the port side in the cockpit and behind it. In the cockpit, it is the green color of the Tamiya Cockpit, behind the cockpit is a mixture of Tamiya XF-15 and a little red. Judging by the photo in the book - there was about this color.

52078618790_0425f73504_c.jpgIMG20220516204158_00 by Andrew Zhi, on Flickr

52078366494_1664be80a2_c.jpgIMG20220516204212_00 by Andrew Zhi, on Flickr

52078142058_da5876f4b4_c.jpgIMG20220516204226_00 by Andrew Zhi, on Flickr

• Like 4

2 hours ago, dushix said:

the Irish Hurricane should not have this cutout, because it is Mk1.

Not because it's a Mk.I, they were introduced during the mk.I production. '93' is Canadian built, and did not have the added hatch.  It also had the earlier windscreen with the curved lower edge, and external armour.  I told you this  in this post.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235084505-hawker-hurricane-mk1-148/#elControls_3913318_menu

the only interrior part that should be gre-green is the upper cockpit side, and rear cockpit bulkhead. the rest is Aluminium paint, as seen here

42089303420_1cee9a8e8b_h.jpg

That's ALL the internals, seat, engine bay. gunbays wheel wells, rear fuselage framework....  the plane above has not been restored, the internals are original. another

IMG-6596.JPG

note the internal woodwork is also aluminium paint

IMG_6631.JPG

inside of engine panels

IMG_6692.JPG

from

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/52968-hurricane-mk1-cockpit-colour/#elControls_742480_menu

Lovely work on the internals :goodjob:

• Like 2

Thank you for your help! Perhaps I misunderstood the information on the Irish version... The color of the fuselage frame in the photo from the museum is different. There is silver, but there is also "green". Here is an example from the book SAM Modeller. What can you say on this issue?

52080953625_7a737d3c44_c.jpgкокпит by Andrew Zhi, on Flickr

52 minutes ago, dushix said:

The color of the fuselage frame in the photo from the museum is different. There is silver, but there is also "green". Here is an example from the book SAM Modeller. What can you say on this issue?

I think that is P2617, at RAF Hendon. 

Not shown here, but visible other photos is the cockpit has been repainted,  by brush, without much care, by this I mean the canvas map pocket on the escape hatch has also been painted, and you can see brush marks.

I don't know when P2617 was repainted, but I can tell you that the rest of the interior framework is aluminium paint, I saw the personally on 2016, when the plane was partly dismantled to move it.  Only the cockpit has been repainted. 

OK, here's an image of P2617 showing this

32300409223_d2f5570e80_b.jpgHawker Hurricane I ‘P2617 / AF-F’ by Alan Wilson, on Flickr

If you zoom the image, on the framework next to the radiation sign (due to Radium on the instrument dials)  you can see aluminium paint under the green.    If you look behind the flare tube,  you can see the red dope coming through the fabric and the aluminium painted stringers.

And this, 

32733501020_e83baaeb12_b.jpgHawker Hurricane I ‘P2617 / AF-F’ by Alan Wilson, on Flickr

again on zoom  you can see crude repaint, and bits still in aluminium. Also you can see parts in original grey green, and the new paint is a different darker green. 

The SAM guide is old, and full of mistakes.  Not to be trusted on detail.  Neither is the more recent book by the same author.

I need to edit this, but this is a post on Hurricane internal colours.   It's the most comprehensive I know of, and some Hurricanes, very very early(early L15** )  and later production did have grey-green inners, but the rest have aluminium paint.  

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234963507-all-the-hurricane-questions-you-want-to-ask-here/page/2/#elControls_1682406_menu

This page

https://www.silverhawkauthor.com/post/canadian-warplanes-3-hawker-hurricane

has images of a Canadian XII cockpit and with side panels off, showing the use of aluminium paint.

I think @dogsbody  may have an image of an early Canadian hurricane cockpit, again showing aluminium paint.

HTH

• Like 3