Spitfire Mk IX - Eduard 1/72

IanC

Hello

My latest model off the production line is Eduard's 1/72 Spitfire Mk IX completed in the markings of No. 611 Squadron at Biggin Hill, 1943.  An excellent kit, of course, although I found construction a bit fiddly in places and had a minor canopy disaster along the way.  I used Tamiya paints rather than my usual Gunze and Vallejo for this build, followed by a bit of light weathering with oils, pigments and a silver pencil.  I think it's my first 1/72 Mk IX Spit since wrestling with the Italeri kit many years ago. There's obviously no comparison!

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Best wishes,

Ian

• Like 40
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, IanC said:

I think it's my first 1/72 Mk IX Spit since wrestling with the Italeri kit many years ago. There's obviously no comparison!

Indeed, there are lightyears in between. The mere fact that the old Italian kit is rather sparse in comparision to the state-of-the-art Eduard is not so bad. What is really worse ist the fact that the Italeri mk ix is plagued by some serious fit problems. The cowling that they have included does not fit at all and is pretty inaccurate. 

Your new Spitfire Mk IX is an amazing beauty. This is an outstanding build of a perfect model kit. I love the Eduard Spitfire Series and I really hope that they are going to expand it in 1/72 beyond the VIII, IX and XVI they have currently in their range.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Jackson Duvalier said:

Clean build of a fantastic kit!  I trust you had a fun time with this one.

Many thanks. I have to say I found it frustrating in places - I'm not a fan of the split upper cowl panel or the fact that you have to remove bits of the fuselage if you want a closed canopy. And the radiators seem overly complex. That said, the end result is well worth it. And the decals went down a treat. 

14 hours ago, 112 Squadron said:

Your new Spitfire Mk IX is an amazing beauty. This is an outstanding build of a perfect model kit. I love the Eduard Spitfire Series and I really hope that they are going to expand it in 1/72 beyond the VIII, IX and XVI they have currently in their range.

That's very kind of you to say. Yes it would be nice to see some other Spitfire versions, although I'll be even happier if the projected Bf 109s come to pass (if that's still the plan..) to complement their excellent Fw 190s.

But my favourite in the range so far is still the Hellcat! 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, IanC said:

Many thanks. I have to say I found it frustrating in places - I'm not a fan of the split upper cowl panel or the fact that you have to remove bits of the fuselage if you want a closed canopy. And the radiators seem overly complex. That said, the end result is well worth it. And the decals went down a treat. 

I am always buying that extra one-piece upper cowl panel and a set of radiators for each of my Eduard Sptfires in order to avoid that trouble. They should have included that in the kits but they sell it as extras. I would even be prepared to pay more for the Eduard Spitfires if these parts are included in their boxings.

Edited by 112 Squadron

17 hours ago, 112 Squadron said:

I am always buying that extra one-piece upper cowl panel and a set of radiators for each of my Eduard Sptfires in order to avoid that trouble. 

Yes, I did think about buying the replacement cowl panel but in the end went with the kit parts. Same with the radiators. It's a shame construction is more complicated than it needs to be - puts me off building a squadron!

Thanks everyone for your positive comments and feedback.