1/72 KP SF-260 Turboprop

So..... This is the KP 1/72 SF-260 TP as used by the PAF. Reference to guide me on this build came from my friends that knows this plane first hand and some of them have access to the actual PAF bird back home in the Philippines. The Kit is a recent release from KP and actually as it stands it is the only Turboprop version at any scale at the moment. A 1/48 version will be released soon. The kit is a struggle to build in my honest opinion and requires a lot of attention, research and scratch-building to improve its short comings. However it is the only game in town at the moment especially this PAF bird. Stencils and the sharkmouth decals are very thick.

Correction made. (I have a short build log on the WIP's thread)

1. Fitting issue addressed especially the nose section of this particular TP version. (Don't confuse this with the piston driven version also offered as an option)

2.Propeller spinner. This is scratch built from aluminium using an engineering lathe (see my WIPs)

3.Proper feathered prop position (on tarmac)

4.Exhaust replaced by scratch building, again turned to diameter using a lathe and shaped into final look by mechanical means.

5.Cockpit detailed

6.Canopy separated and thinned down to scale

7.All airials are scratch built as non supplied in this kit especially the PAF dorsal airials.

8. LAU rocket pods replaced by turned aluminium as the plastic representation is very poor.

Advantages.

1. The only version of this SF-260 TP currently at any scale (a 1/48th will be released)

2. Good base for a project of this plane

3. Very unique and offers the PAF version for the PAF modellers

4. Will definitely give you a challenge if you like one.

5. Test your skills at this scale.

I will post walk around pictures of the build, sorry for the many pictures as I think this kit deserve it at the end despite its drawback. Hopefully this will help other in their build. Thank you all for your patience in reading through this. Pictures taken with a Nikon 105D micro lens at desired distance to achieved as much DOF as I can. 

CAxGBlN.jpg?2

3fSWgTr.jpg?1

RuzNjJs.jpg?1

Edited by Heart Failure
massive image files
  • Like 17

While this may be a good model your pictures are way too big, and maybe  too many in number, while the second is not really an issue the first certainly is.

Please read the following on images and their sizes,

47 minutes ago, Julien said:

While this may be a good model your pictures are way too big, and maybe  too many in number, while the second is not really an issue the first certainly is.

Apologies. I will try to resize this in Imgur. I cropped most of the image when I edit it but somehow when I upload it to imgur I was wondering why it makes it big. I will edit it there and add it here again if it works. Thanks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Julien said:

Hi, I edited the size as recommended and also followed the instruction on the link via the tutorials. Please advice me if its still is an issue so I can correct it. Thank you for letting me know.

Very nice looking SF-260. I made the Planet Models resin one a while back and plan to get an injection version soon, although I've heard the KP one may not be as good as the forthcoming Special Hobby release. Regardless of that you have turned this KP Turbo version into a little gem!

Terry

8 hours ago, Heart Failure said:

Hi, I edited the size as recommended and also followed the instruction on the link via the tutorials. Please advice me if its still is an issue so I can correct it. Thank you for letting me know.

A nice build of a little known (to me anyway ) version of this aircraft, you've made a beaut job of it, the photos have displayed nicely for me.

Steve.

Thank you and much appreciated to all. Compared to the Special Hobby, this KP kit requires a lot of work. Particularly the fit issue. Unless SH release a TP version of the SF-260 then it is the only option. Hopefully the to be release 1/48th scale won't have this problem.