F-5 Single Type Group Build Chat

Robert Stuart

7 minutes ago, Robert Stuart said:

a Greek F-5 seems very appropriate.

Thanks @Robert Stuart.  I am receiving the decals from Icarus this week.  They look very nice, as usual.  The kit should arrive in plenty of time for the GB.

According to Wiki, the Greeks operated about 120 F-5A/Bs from 1965 until 2002 when they were taken off the flightline.  That's a lot of aircraft.

• Like 2

On 12/4/2021 at 5:57 AM, John Masters said:

I am building an F-5A from the Hellenic Air Force during the Cypriot Crisis in 1973.

I've got an ESCI kit coming.

A great choice of both kit and subject John.

As has already been said the ESCI F-5A/B kits are still the best in 1/72, a sad state of affairs really. The Greek Air Force made very good use of the F-5 for a long time and in a variety of different schemes too from metallic finish right through to low visibility greys.

• Like 1

On 12/6/2020 at 9:55 AM, Tim R-T-C said:

I've got one kit and two decal sets - Iranian and North Yemeni - so I'd be game.

Well having struggled to find an F-5 kit in scale when this GB was announced, thanks to some eBay skills and a Wonderland Model's unexpected selection of old kits at SMW; I now have 7 of the Revell F-5E models, with a Retrokit resin two seat conversion set for one , as well as an old Arii F-5A kit and an obscure FE-Resin conversion set to make an F-5B from the Dragon kit. Plus an old F-20 kit and an esoteric Japanese resin model T-38 with NASA markings.

Combine this with aftermarket decals for an IRIAF, Mexican and North Yemeni examples and I am definitely spoilt for choice!

Edited by Tim R-T-C
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

The Greek Air Force made very good use of the F-5

True.  Icarus Decals here in Athens has two very good sheets for Freedom Fighters over the years.  If one were inclined, one could make the full array.

• Like 2

I've got quite a few 1/72nd ESCI F-5A/B including Revell/Italeri reissues in the stash so I'm in with one of those, markings TBD nearer the time.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wez said:

I've got quite a few 1/72nd ESCI F-5A/B including Revell/Italeri reissues in the stash so I'm in with one of those, markings TBD nearer the time.

I need to find one of these kits, Id like to do a Skoshi Tiger. If not then it’ll be one of the F-20’s in my stash. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hi Robert, could you add me to the list for this group build please?

I've been keen on building a few F-5's for a while now having collected a few kits & decal sheets here & there.

My first choice is one of the all over black T-38 aggressors. If anyone has a Sword 1/72 T-38 they could part with that would be helpful or I will have to convert the Esci/Italeri kit.

Cheers

Martin

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Lightningboy2000 said:

Hi Robert, could you add me to the list for this group build please?

I've been keen on building a few F-5's for a while now having collected a few kits & decal sheets here & there.

My first choice is one of the all over black T-38 aggressors. If anyone has a Sword 1/72 T-38 they could part with that would be helpful or I will have to convert the Esci/Italeri kit.

Cheers

Martin

An all black T-38 is a great choice Martin and will certainly stand out among the many variously camouflaged F-5 variants.

Great to have you join in the GB.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/22/2022 at 7:00 PM, stevej60 said:

Sign me up Robert nothing spectacular Hobbyboss aggressor in 1/72 just noticed it on Amazon last night £6.25 posted can't refuse

an offer like that!

Great to have you join in Steve.

That seems a very good price for a kit, I haven't seen the HobbyBoss kit in the flesh so I am interested to see your thoughts on it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I visited the War Museum here in Athens today and took some pictures of the F-5 they have on display.  As it turns out, this very aircraft was flown by Vasilis Madis, who is the uncle of a friend of mine.  

51998518122_d00575c8d1_z_d.jpg

51999590148_552f5edd73_z_d.jpg

52000067285_75d0dacf09_z_d.jpg

51998518092_4513652346_z_d.jpg

51999789219_f2f6cdd382_z_d.jpg

51998518062_b2cc32c905_z_d.jpg

I think I will build this aircraft.  I think the decals sheet I have has this one represented.  

--John

On 2/6/2022 at 7:12 PM, Robert Stuart said:

I've put together a banner for this GB

Very nice!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, John Masters said:

I think I will build this aircraft.

Nice find, John, will you show your friend's uncle the finished model?

Difficult to tell from the photos if that is two blue-greys or light & shade near the tail - but the Greek blue-white colours look well with that scheme.

Thanks @Robert Stuart.  I’m actually not 100% sure if the grey scheme is accurate.  From what I have read the grey was an uncommon color for the Greek F-5. I’ll ask the guys at the hobby store tomorrow.  They know this stuff better than I.  It might have been standard US camo from that era.  I’ll also ask my friend.  Maybe his uncle has a picture.

• Like 1