F-5 Single Type Group Build Chat

Robert Stuart

We are in the bun fight ... Enzo moved us over yesterday.
Thinking about a (prospective) build, I stumbled across this video of Swiss F-5Es.
{edit} The video has to be of a rear 'pit, so an F-5F - the others are Es {/edit}

Spoiler

When playing that (or frozen/paused ;)) you can look around the 'pit by dragging with your mouse.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

We are in the bun fight ... Enzo moved us over yesterday.
Thinking about a (prospective) build, I stumbled across this video of Swiss F-5Es.
{edit} The video has to be of a rear 'pit, so an F-5F - the others are Es {/edit}

Reveal hidden contents

When playing that (or frozen/paused ;)) you can look around the 'pit by dragging with your mouse.

Did you see photos of the one that crashed recently, safe ejection, and landed in one piece upside down on a snowy slope? Make for an interesting diorama for a better builder than me.

Chris 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Chrisj2003 said:

Did you see photos of the one that crashed recently, safe ejection, and landed in one piece upside down on a snowy slope? Make for an interesting diorama for a better builder than me.

Chris 

spacer.png

I've picked my build!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Chrisj2003 said:

Chris 

5 hours ago, Tim R-T-C said:

spacer.png

I've picked my build!

Thats one hell of a snowboard ! 

• Haha 1

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

Well it is looking very likely that we shall be through to the STGB's for next year so if you haven't already its time to start  thinking about which of your kits you are going to build and in which markings.

Geees now I need to find one, looks like 1/48 will be the scale as there aren't too many kits in 1/72 ? 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Geees now I need to find one, looks like 1/48 will be the scale as there aren't too many kits in 1/72 ? 

I'd say there are plenty of 1/72 kits Dennis, some harder to find now though.

Apart from the old Airfix F-5A and the newer F-5E, there are still a few of the ESCI/Italeri A's B's E's and F's around in 1/72. I think the E's and F's are easier to source. Also Revell re-popped the Esci B and E. There are a few others, but the ones I mentioned are probably the best. The ESCI/Italeri ones are really very good indeed IMHO.

Maybe that they are harder to source across the pond though?

Terry

• Like 1

2 hours ago, modelling minion said:

There aren't that many in 1/48 Dennis, probably the easiest/more affordable to find are the Kinetic A/B series and they are pretty good kits too.

Im going to try and find a “Skoshi Tiger” as They're probably my favorites outside of the aggressors. 

• Like 2

Kit availability, in stock at BigH today

1/72

F-5A

PM Model F-5A, F-5B

F-5E

Italeri F-5E, F-5F

Dream Model F-5E, F-5F

Another kit to look out for is HobbyBoss's F-5E

1/48
F-5A

Kinetic - Current kit is marked NF-5A, I have this kit, and can confirm that either an F-5A (US built) or a CF-5A / NF-5A (Canadian built) aircraft can be modelled out of the box.
Note: You may find older stock of Kinetic's F-5B elsewhere, a new boxing is announced.  Also announced is a Canadair CF-5A

F-5E
AFV Club F-5E, F-5F, HESA Saeqeh-80 (Iranian twin tail development)

{edit 13 Nov }
Add to 1/48 F-5E an Academy KF-5E, (according to ScaleMates, this is a re-box of the AFV club kit).
{end edit}

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Robert Stuart changed the title to F-5 Single Type Group Build: Sat, 16 Jul - Sun, 16 Oct
  • 2 weeks later...

Could someone steer me in he direction of a really good F-5A kit in 72nd scale?  I have the PM Models kit and it seems just blobby and rudimentary.

Are the older Hasagawa/Airfix/Italeri kits worthwhile?  I am loathe to build the new Airfix film-based F-5E...no.no.no. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, John Masters said:

Could someone steer me in he direction of a really good F-5A kit in 72nd scale?  I have the PM Models kit and it seems just blobby and rudimentary.

Are the older Hasagawa/Airfix/Italeri kits worthwhile?  I am loathe to build the new Airfix film-based F-5E...no.no.no. 

Esci and Italeri. .Still the best IMHO. Can be tricky to source these days but there are still a few about at shows and on evilbay!

Their B is excellent also, and Revell did a repop more recently.

Terry

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, John Masters said:

I am loathe to build the new Airfix film-based F-5E...no.no.no.

Actually that does not build up too bad. Here is mine. If you click on the image it will take you to my Flickr feed build thread of that one.

1/72 Airfix F-5E

Terry

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, John Masters said:

I'm sure its fine and yours is excellent.  It's the Tom Cruise thing I'm leery of...

Yes, I understand where you are coming from! Actually, if you ignore the box, and the decals, it's a straight F-5E. Mine has aftermarket decals anyway. Just don't have "Take my breath away" playing in the background!!!

Terry

4 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Yes, I understand where you are coming from! Actually, if you ignore the box, and the decals, it's a straight F-5E. Mine has aftermarket decals anyway. Just don't have "Take my breath away" playing in the background!!!

Terry

@John Masters

Just put it on a high shelf and he won't be able to reach it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4