F-5 Single Type Group Build Chat

Robert Stuart

56 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

With what has to be perfect timing I have noticed that the Italeri re-box of the very nice ESCI F-5A has just started arriving in model shops (in the UK at least) and it looks like it has a very nice decal sheet too with plenty of options.

No excuse now Stu! @PhantomBigStu 😁

🇺🇦

That is a more attractive decal sheet than the boxing I’ve got; very nice options. But the Canadian option still has slime lights that are too egg-yolk yellow for me. And the big H price is nearly 4x what I paid 20 years ago. 

Chris

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Chrisj2003 said:

That is a more attractive decal sheet than the boxing I’ve got; very nice options. But the Canadian option still has slime lights that are too egg-yolk yellow for me. And the big H price is nearly 4x what I paid 20 years ago. 

Chris

Yeah, they're not cheap are they.

But if you factor in what it would cost for an aftermarket decal sheet like that then it makes for better value, still not cheap though.

🇺🇦

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Near enough.

There is the 25% rule, so as long as you don't overdo it you ahould be able to make a start.

Sorry to hear you have covid again, not much fun is it.

🇺🇦

As tempting as it is I'm going to behave myself and wait until Saturday eventually rolls around.  Spirit of the game, and all that...  I could always do some work on my Bf110 in the meantime, if things get really bad!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, modelling minion said:

With what has to be perfect timing I have noticed that the Italeri re-box of the very nice ESCI F-5A has just started arriving in model shops (in the UK at least) and it looks like it has a very nice decal sheet too with plenty of options.

No excuse now Stu! @PhantomBigStu 😁

🇺🇦

Indeed on my shopping list for August, spent a lot recently so unless I get lucky with a cheapo on eBay Ill have to wait to join, annoying but I have to just get on with my aggressor Kfir which will use F-5 decals so in a little bit in the spirit…..

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Indeed on my shopping list for August, spent a lot recently so unless I get lucky with a cheapo on eBay Ill have to wait to join, annoying but I have to just get on with my aggressor Kfir which will use F-5 decals so in a little bit in the spirit…..

Just seen the price of these 1/72 scale F-5A's.  For an extra tenner, you could get something big enough to see.

• Haha 1

Good morning

Yesterday I bought at my LHS the Italeri reboxing of the Esci F5 A but I must admit  that it will be difficult to choose which decoration to make from the superb decals sheet provided ...

https://www.italeri.com/en/product/2907

I will try to start when I finished my current build ..

Best regards

Patrice

• Like 3

Hi folk's quick heads up,my son liked the look of the Tiger Hobbies 1/48 F-5 I'm building so ordered one,I assumed he'd gone to King kit but no their own website

is offering the standard kit for an unbelievable £10 which I can assure you is well worth it so check it out if it interests you.

https://www.tigerhobbies.co.uk/product-category/plastic-kits/?filter_brand=tiger-hobbies

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I am offering for free a few spares and decal oddments suitable for F-5 types. Both sets to go together . All for the price of postage within the UK. Not sure8 what they contain but will be useful.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

Hi folk's quick heads up,my son liked the look of the Tiger Hobbies 1/48 F-5 I'm building so ordered one,I assumed he'd gone to King kit but no their own website

is offering the standard kit for an unbelievable £10 which I can assure you is well worth it so check it out if it interests you.

https://www.tigerhobbies.co.uk/product-category/plastic-kits/?filter_brand=tiger-hobbies

Thanks!  They had seven in stock; now they have six.  Ask me how I know.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, jackroadkill said:

Thanks!  They had seven in stock; now they have six.  Ask me how I know.

Ha ha,well worth it not a shake and bake kit but a lot better than some older offerings,enjoy!

• Like 1

Just now, stevej60 said:

Ha ha,well worth it not a shake and bake kit but a lot better than some older offerings,enjoy!

For a tenner I don't mind a bit of work.  The Revell job was twice that and that's going to take a bit of mangling itself.  I have to say though, the AFV F-5F kit is batting its eyelashes at me, too...  Jets aren't even my thing, damn it!

• Like 2

This somehow fell into my Amazon basket and arrived the next day :blush:

2022-07-17_08-44-46

..and I've these reference books in the library

2022-07-17_08-45-33

While it'd be rude to miss this opportunity to make use of them I'm lacking free time at the moment but will try to join in the fun soon.

• Like 5

On 7/17/2022 at 11:07 AM, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good morning

Yesterday I bought at my LHS the Italeri reboxing of the Esci F5 A but I must admit  that it will be difficult to choose which decoration to make from the superb decals sheet provided ...

https://www.italeri.com/en/product/2907

I will try to start when I finished my current build ..

Best regards

Patrice

Go for the cover art version.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Col. said:

2022-07-17_08-44-46

..and I've these reference books in the library

While it'd be rude to miss this opportunity to make use of them I'm lacking free time at the moment but will try to join in the fun soon.

The only thing that I don't like in this kit and it surprises me why all these years HobbyBoss didn't attempt to offer a replacement is the windscreen!!!!

Other than that, I would have bought at least 20 of this kit (yeap, I'm an F-5E fanatic, what can I say!!!)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shalako said:

The only thing that I don't like in this kit and it surprises me why all these years HobbyBoss didn't attempt to offer a replacement is the windscreen!!!!

Other than that, I would have bought at least 20 of this kit (yeap, I'm an F-5E fanatic, what can I say!!!)

The windscreen really is an obvious error! The ejector seat looks to be closer to 100th scale than 72nd as well but everything else seems to be usable from an initial perusal of the plastic.

1 hour ago, Robert Stuart said:

As if I needed another 1/48 F-5

Don't we always need more F-5's?😁

1 hour ago, Col. said:

Funny how things like that happen isn't it Col.

Good references too, I have the same ones and they cover everything you need.

🇺🇦

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Don't we always need more F-5's?😁

Yes! :D 

29 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Funny how things like that happen isn't it Col.

Perhaps it was a sign Craig?

30 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Good references too, I have the same ones and they cover everything you need.

🇺🇦

They can be both a blessing and a curse to my over-ambitious plans to pack in too much detail in too small an area :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Goodness, this thread has gotten suddenly quiet!  What's that? You're all too busy BUILDING F-5s (etc)?  Oh, well, can't fault that!

I'm enjoying my first actual day off since June 1.  Hmm, perhaps I should start (exhume?) a model...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, gingerbob said:

You're all too busy BUILDING F-5s (etc)?  Oh, well, can't fault that!

it's such a vast subject that even if you think the variety of paint schemes and markings this aircraft has adopted and served you will get a headache which one to build!!!!!!

So, yes, they are all too busy building F-5s and I also need to start finishing my F-5s (excluding the unstarted ones) and so far I've got around seven!!!!:blink:

• Like 2