F-5 Single Type Group Build Chat

Robert Stuart

Quite how I've ended up as an honorary co-host I don't know but Ill take it 😀. Anyway won't be entering straight away as my budget has been siphoned off on other stuff recently and I'm high bidder on a couple of things on ebay. Certainly will see me in a few weeks time though. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Quite how I've ended up as an honorary co-host I don't know but Ill take it 😀

You were involved in the earlier discussion about wif rules.

Seems F-20s are popular since we allowed wiffery - half of the declared builds are F-20s in different schemes.
(OK, three out of six, but, you get the picture)

• Like 1

I would really like to take part in this GB and I am thinking of exhuming this oldie from the stash.

52207661194_7365f6ddbd_b.jpg20220710_212516 by Ghostbase, on Flickr

It was in the sale section of a Local Hobby Store in the USA many years ago when the US Dollar was at around 1.8 to the British Pound - happy days! I think this is referred to as a 'mixed media' kit in that many of the parts are cast in resin. My limited experience with resin to date has not been happy however it would be good to try again and I do like the hi-vis decal option that comes with this kit (there are other options too).

Not going to commit yet, there are too many group builds that appeal to me at the moment, but this Classic Airframes F-5B kit feels like it would be worth a try.

Michael

• Like 4

I'm off for a little holiday as Macarthur said "I shall return", as my youngest has waded in with the Tiger shark better go F-5 at the moment looks like the Tiger Hobbies

1/48 offering of which I no nothing about.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

... as my budget has been siphoned off on other stuff recently and I'm high bidder on a couple of things on ebay.

How is it that you don't already have some member of the family in the stash?  That suggests gross negligence!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

This is another of the many GBs I hoped to join and even bought an AFV Club F-5E kit and a set of Two Bobs Alconbury Gomers decals.

As ever, I am struggling for any bench time and will struggle to actually join this, but just in case I do I have a question.

In some of the threads already posted, I’ve read about two nose types for the Tiger II and that they are both in some boxings and only one in others.

The question is, which nose did the Alconbury F-5s have?

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Filler said:

The question is, which nose did the Alconbury F-5s have?

The Alconbury F-5's only had the older original style of nose fitted, no shark noses or extended LERX's on their birds.

I hope you do get a chance to join the GB, will be great to have another Alconbury bird in it.

🇺🇦

• Thanks 1

Thanks for answering. Now to head up into the rather warm loft to find out if the boxing I have has the correct nose. Fingers crossed.

I’ll do my best to join in, but I’ll be melting for the next six days at the air tattoo and I really should clear the Eagle, Hornet and Falcon builds that are loitering on the bench first.

• Like 2

On 7/11/2022 at 10:09 AM, gingerbob said:

How is it that you don't already have some member of the family in the stash?  That suggests gross negligence!

in my defence I had a tigershark in the stash and built it thinking it wouldn’t be elligible as whif earlier in the year…anyway think i saw earlier my local has another one in stock so I probably will have a look for it next time I’m that way

edit: website hoodwinked me so be a while before I get something

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, drake122 said:

Please forgive my ignorance for the type, but which kit is considered best in scale in 72nd for a F-5, F-20 or F-38?

That depends on which version you want to build.

F-5A/B ESCI/Italeri all day long, F-5E/F Italeri or Hobbyboss, F-20 Hasegawa, T-38 Sword but that is hard to find.

🇺🇦

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

That depends on which version you want to build.

F-5A/B ESCI/Italeri all day long, F-5E/F Italeri or Hobbyboss, F-20 Hasegawa, T-38 Sword but that is hard to find.

🇺🇦

Well, my idea is to eventually build a Chilean version with IFR probe and extended vertical stabilizer, but after some research, it looks like no one makes this version in 72nd. Decals are available from Armycast, and the IFR probe is included in the HB kit, but so far the consensus seems to be everywhere that the ESCI/Italeri offering is more accurate. The downside is raised panel lines of course. 

There seems to be a DreamModel E/F version out recently, but most reviewers were diappointed in it from what I remember.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, drake122 said:

Well, my idea is to eventually build a Chilean version with IFR probe and extended vertical stabilizer

A fine choice but as you say currently unavailable in 1/72, although I think that adding the extension to the vertical tail would be achievable with some plastic card.

🇺🇦

• Like 1

4 hours ago, modelling minion said:

A fine choice but as you say currently unavailable in 1/72, although I think that adding the extension to the vertical tail would be achievable with some plastic card.

There is more modifications required, but yes, I agree most of this can be scratchbuilt.

3 hours ago, Arie Vos said:

Thank you, they appear to have a conversion set for ENAER Pantera as well! Very nice, but I am hesitant to order from that far away accross the globe. The last time I did, the goods took 7 months to reach me, haha.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, drake122 said:

There seems to be a DreamModel E/F version out recently, but most reviewers were diappointed in it from what I remember.

The DreamModel is fine, nice sharp edges to the flying surfaces, PE for seatbelt etc, nice decals, the disappointment is around it not being better, eg the canopy raising mechanism is missing, the guns are not separate. Happy with the E I built last year, was hoping for more variant releases; and none of the schemes on their F appealed. 

Chris

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Chrisj2003 said:

The DreamModel is fine, nice sharp edges to the flying surfaces, PE for seatbelt etc, nice decals, the disappointment is around it not being better, eg the canopy raising mechanism is missing, the guns are not separate. Happy with the E I built last year, was hoping for more variant releases; and none of the schemes on their F appealed. 

Chris

I have also read it has shape issues around the windshield and spine area, things that ESCI managed to do right in 1983, haha. Also for being such a relatively small and simple jet, I can't justify their asking price of 40-50 Euros, PE included or not.

1 hour ago, Arie Vos said:

This one could be an alternative:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/5VJRDLR8D/1-72-vertical-fin-f-5-e-tiger-ii?optionId=61057865&li=marketplace

For my F-5S I used a piece of plastic card. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

That is very nice! I believe I will do the same, old Italeri kit, rescribe and scratch all the lumps and bumps needed.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, jackroadkill said:

Is it Saturday yet?  I'm kicking my heels at home for the rest of the week thanks to a second dose of Covid and Would dearly love to crack on with my build.

Near enough.

There is the 25% rule, so as long as you don't overdo it you ahould be able to make a start.

Sorry to hear you have covid again, not much fun is it.

🇺🇦

• Like 1