F-5 Single Type Group Build Chat

Robert Stuart

• Robert Stuart changed the title to F-5 Single Type Group Build - at 15
  • Robert Stuart changed the title to F-5 Single Type Group Build - at 16
10 hours ago, modelling minion said:

An option I have always wanted to build myself, and might yet.

I have a feeling there will be a few aggressors/adversaries in the line up.

I really hope so :wub:

• Like 1

• Robert Stuart changed the title to F-5 Single Type Group Build - at 17
8 hours ago, Angus Tura said:

Please put me down for this.

Alan

Welcome aboard Alan, any idea which type or scheme you will be doing?

6 hours ago, Marklo said:

I’ve an Airfix 1/144 F20 in the stash just need to find an interesting colour scheme.

Nice to see another F-20 joining the GB, would you be looking for an actual scheme or a WHIF?

• Like 1

• Robert Stuart changed the title to F-5 Single Type Group Build - at 19
9 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Nice to see another F-20 joining the GB, would you be looking for an actual scheme or a WHIF?

An actual scheme. I like the Japanese ones and there are some good aggressor ones out there.

• Like 3

• Robert Stuart changed the title to F-5 Single Type Group Build - at 20
  • 3 weeks later...
18 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Any more interested parties out there?

Plenty of interesting variations of operator and colour schemes available.

Guess I could be persuaded!

Maybe a Swiss or Saudi one, depending on what kits would be available at the time of ordering?

Cheers

Johnny b 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, desert falcon said:

Maybe a Swiss or Saudi one, depending on what kits would be available at the time of ordering?

Cheers

Johnny b 

Good man! Our leader will add you to the list shortly.

Nice choice of schemes, the Saudi one would be my preference of the two as I really like the colours of the Asia Minor scheme.

Which scale would you be working in?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Good man! Our leader will add you to the list shortly.

Nice choice of schemes, the Saudi one would be my preference of the two as I really like the colours of the Asia Minor scheme.

Which scale would you be working in?

Thank you sir!

Yes, a RSAF F-5 in desert camouflage would be very attractive! On the other hand, I also like the simple Swiss all grey scheme with the Swiss insignia on the wings and the tail. While I was still living in Dubai last year, my LHS had the ITALERI F-5E Patrouille Suisse in 1/72 scale. It whispered my name as I walked by it, but for some stupid reason I didn't grab it. 

Do you guys know if there were more Middle Eastern users of the F-5 than the Saudi's? 

Scale is a good question too. My previous two builds after I started modelling again were both 1/72, simply due to the lesser space they take up displaying them. I hope to do my first 1/48 build in the F-16 STGB later this year and hopefully also a 1/35 Leclerc MBT in the French Fancy GB. Unfortunately I have so far never seen a F-5 in the flesh, but from reading above, I understand it's a relatively small aircraft. So maybe 1/48 scale for the F-5 as well?

Could any of you kind people recommend a good kit in either 1/72 or 1/48, which wouldn't cost an arm or a leg? I primarily build OBB, so I'm not looking for one which requires a lot of aftermarket parts. Aftermarket decal sheets on the other hand would be perfectly okay. 

Many thanks

Johnny 

7 minutes ago, desert falcon said:

Do you guys know if there were more Middle Eastern users of the F-5 than the Saudi's? 

Plenty to choose from in the Middle East Johnny, Iran, Bahrain, Saudi, Jordan, Yemen and if you expand a bit to include North Africa there's Libya, Morocco, Tunisia and Sudan. You could also do the ones destined for Egypt as they were painted in Egyptian markings before the order was cancelled and the aircraft sent to Yemen (I believe).

11 minutes ago, desert falcon said:

Could any of you kind people recommend a good kit in either 1/72 or 1/48, which wouldn't cost an arm or a leg? I primarily build OBB, so I'm not looking for one which requires a lot of aftermarket parts. Aftermarket decal sheets on the other hand would be perfectly okay.

The best E kits in 1/48 are by AFV club, you really don't need to add anything to them except seat belts. For A's Kinetic is the way to go. In 1/72 the best A's are the old ESCI kits which have also been released by others including Italeri. As for E's I think the Italeri might be the best, they did an F too.

• Robert Stuart changed the title to F-5 Single Type Group Build - at 21
7 hours ago, desert falcon said:

Cheers

Johnny b 

You are very welcome .

5 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Our leader will add you to the list shortly.

Done

Johnny B

The old Airfix F-5A Freedom Fighter was in Imperial Iranian colours (I was convinced it was Jordanian ... then I checked).

• Like 1