Hawker Tempest Mk. V

Hey Bill

I’ve just had a look at some images online re invasion stripes on Tempest’s and the only pictures I could seemed to show that the stripes had been applied very neatly and not like some of the rough examples that you can find that were applied to Spitfires and the like. However the effect that you have achieved looks very good.

cheers

Iain

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think it depends to some extent on whose aeroplane you are depicting and whether the stripes were applied before or after the 6th June.

In the past I have used domestic masking tape which was scored then torn rather than cut to give slightly ragged demarcation lines.

John

• Thanks 1

Excellent progress on your Tempest Bill 👍

I think your invasion stripes look great. Good proportion between the bands. Wouldn't the upper stripes be rough as well as the lower ones? Ideally a reference photo would give you the best steer on these but I reckon they look good. May be tone down the brightness a wee bit? 

Cheers Greg

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, stevehnz said:

To my eye, that looks fine, though you might get criticised in some circles for bad painting, I reckon it is more likely to be realistic that perfectly straight masked lines.

Steve.

Thanks Steve, yes it looks like messy airbrush work but I suppose I will have to explain why lol. I don't think I would rough them up in lesser scales. 

11 hours ago, (ex)Sgtrafman said:

Hey Bill

I’ve just had a look at some images online re invasion stripes on Tempest’s and the only pictures I could seemed to show that the stripes had been applied very neatly and not like some of the rough examples that you can find that were applied to Spitfires and the like. However the effect that you have achieved looks very good.

cheers

Iain

Thanks Iain. Yes Tempest stripes look much neater, almost masked when seen in photos. Cont'd below.

9 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

I think it depends to some extent on whose aeroplane you are depicting and whether the stripes were applied before or after the 6th June.

In the past I have used domestic masking tape which was scored then torn rather than cut to give slightly ragged demarcation lines.

John

Thanks John, I am doing R. Beamont's "R+B" which is a kit option. The one or two photos of it look very neat but it's difficult to see if perfect/masked. A couple of others in his squadron seem to be neat but do show a little slip here and there.  The ragged tape is a good idea. Maybe next time.

5 hours ago, GREG DESTEC said:

Excellent progress on your Tempest Bill 👍

I think your invasion stripes look great. Good proportion between the bands. Wouldn't the upper stripes be rough as well as the lower ones? Ideally a reference photo would give you the best steer on these but I reckon they look good. May be tone down the brightness a wee bit? 

Cheers Greg

Thanks Greg, yes the upper stripes are done as well, I just started on the underside. The upper wing wasn't done in the photos. And yes it will all be toned down later when I do the washes.

• Like 3

• Bill Bunting changed the title to Hawker Tempest Mk. V
  • 3 weeks later...

So there has been some progress but little time for posting updates.

I am using the kit decals.  The are marked as "Revell" and "printed in Italy".  I guess this may be Cartograph?  Regardless, the are very good.  Good colours (maybe te 'Sky' codes are a little pale?), on register and very thin.   The model has been given a gloss coat of "Future" and left to dry for 24 hours.  The decals were applied using Microset and Microsol.  The decals adhered very well, almost too well and sometimes needed a splash of water under them to get them to move.  I used a hairdryer as well and they settled into all details and the rivets beautifully.

One drawback of thin decals is when white has to cover a colour demarcation such as the pre-painted invasion stripes.

spacer.png

Note how well the decals have settled intot he rivets. The hairdryer is the trick! (and good decals).

After 24 hrs, the model was given another coat of Future to seal the decals.  The fuselage roundel was touched up by masking the outer section and spraying Tamiya X1 gloss  white. 

spacer.png

When dry, the red centre was applied and later sealed with Future.

spacer.png

Next will be weathering.  I plan minimal weathering.  My personal taste is to higlight the panel lines, riviets and control hinges. (You can see the beginnings on the picture above - grey oil wash in the rivets).  I've rarely been successful at paint chipping so none of that.  A little exhaust stain and we'll see.  

Home stretch in sight!

Edited by Bill Bunting
  • Like 9

She's done. I did a grey oil wash over the whole model and a black oil wash in the control surface joints, landing gear and some on the belly.  Not too much but to my own taste.  The Barracudacast prop went to gether without drama using the included jig.

The kit exhausts are very very nice.   Top and bottom halves come together and make a 'welded' join line.  The trick is not to clean this up, it belongs there.  They did need modification to fit the Barracudacast resin cowling, the bases need to be thinned to as near nothing as possible and a little trimmed off the front and back. The one on the right is modified.

spacer.png

If your interested it will be in Ready for Inspection within a day or two.

Thanks for following!spacer.png

• Like 8

On 29/01/2021 at 10:13 AM, Jeff G said:

Make sure to take a lot of pictures for the RFI. If you think it's too many, it's probably not enough. This Tempest is awesome!

It's up on Ready For Inspection. Thanks for following!

Cheers!

Edited by Bill Bunting
  • Like 1

Bill, Some of the issues you encountered and the solutions you found are very valuable for my build. Great to see the process.Thanks for these points.   Sutton Harness- noted! Cockpit copper tank- noted! dry fitting.. cockpit and wings! noted. Canopy Emergency Jettison release handle in red- invaluable!  I don't think my budget can stretch to a resin nose /spinner. A brilliant build and excellent WIP . Really helpful.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...