New Boeing 727 kit?

TheyJammedKenny!

Did some further reading at Airlinercafe and Jennings commented that a 727-100 is coming from an unidentified manufacturer and it will be followed by a 727-200. No mention of scale. Possible candidates are Eastern Express, Roden and Amodel, I believe. 

1:144

http://www.pas-decals.ru/forum/novosti/1078-novinki-vostochnyj-ekspress?start=702#41339

- And the 707 and the 727 makes sense to wait?

- B-727 will be first 100, then 200, wait for early next year, but not from "Eastern Express".
I can't say more yet.

It will be a good "short-run", not worse than "Eastern Express"

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Nick Nichols said:

1:144

http://www.pas-decals.ru/forum/novosti/1078-novinki-vostochnyj-ekspress?start=702#41339

- And the 707 and the 727 makes sense to wait?

- B-727 will be first 100, then 200, wait for early next year, but not from "Eastern Express".
I can't say more yet.

It will be a good "short-run", not worse than "Eastern Express"

So I think Roden is ruled out and so I bet on Amodel.

7 minutes ago, stever219 said:

They’d be much better off devoting time and plastic to some really decent kits of the VC10, Viscount, Vanguard, BAC 1-11, Comet,  Herald, HS748, Trident and HS146.  All in 1/72th please.

While I concur new moulds of these airliners would be great their all British,with limited appeal  it appears to be an Eastern bloc manufacturer wiser for them  to make Boeing airliners in the long run.  A new mould  727, 757, & hopefully 707 would make more commercial sense., although I'd give anything for a 1/72 properly moulded Viscount 808 as I've repeatedly suggested to Airfix to no avail just more bloody Spitfires 😉😉

regards

Eamonn

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

All of the above sound like good choices, albeit with a limited market.  Not to be too off-topic, but given Valom's recent (welcome) dabbling into postwar British transport subjects, might I suggest that an HS.748 would be a good choice for Valom in 1/72?  With a 67' fuselage length and 102' wingspan, it is not too much bigger than a C-47 or Valetta, plus it has attractive color schemes for a variety of military customers.  It could be modified to become an Andover, too... 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, aircraftkit said:

Off topic, but to answer the comments about the possibility of an injection moulded Avro/HS/BAe 748,  S and M  Models announced a while back that they will be releasing this subject in this media.

Regards

Donald

I certainly hope S&M would attempt this!  I see that it's considered "news" on their web-site.  I've put in an inquiry as to when we might see this released (Queens Flight and civil versions).  Creating a new injection-molded model is a stressful experience, and they are a small operation!

Edited by TheyJammedKenny!
updated info
  • Like 1

I think new mould kits of all the older Boeing airliners would be nice - 707, 727, 737-100 and -200, and 747-100 through to -400. There may be kits of most of those already, but most of them aren't remotely modern kits, most of them are out of production, and many of them have shape issues.

As for 1/72 British airliners - I absolutely agree and would love to see a 1/72 injection moulded Viscount 800 in particular. One of my if-I-won-a-massive-amount-on-the-lottery fantasies is that I'd start a model company to produce nice kits of apparently commercially unviable subjects like these.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, zebra said:

I think new mould kits of all the older Boeing airliners would be nice - 707, 727, 737-100 and -200, and 747-100 through to -400. There may be kits of most of those already, but most of them aren't remotely modern kits, most of them are out of production, and many of them have shape issues.

As for 1/72 British airliners - I absolutely agree and would love to see a 1/72 injection moulded Viscount 800 in particular. One of my if-I-won-a-massive-amount-on-the-lottery fantasies is that I'd start a model company to produce nice kits of apparently commercially unviable subjects like these.

Snap 😆😆 That's my dream too,  I think Viscounts F27/50s Bac 1-11s in 1/72 wouldn't be too large & we really do need up to date moulded airliners.  Zvezda are spoiling us at the minute but the list for more new ones grows daily 

• Like 1

@26Decals: BPK can be difficult to figure out.  They were enthusiastic about the 737-100 and -200, both of which have come to fruition, developed an (overly ambitious?) enthusiasm for the 777, but never mentioned the 727, which is a shame.  OTOH, they were contemplating a 757 in 1/144, with 1/72 to follow eventually.  They might still release a 757 in 1/144, Zvezda's announcement notwithstanding.  

I really hope that a 72nd 727 will be produced.

In fact, while we are on the subject, I just don't get the 72nd being too large for airliners thing at all. 

Monogram & Revell have consistently had large military models in their catalogues, 72nd B-52s, B-36, 48th B-1B and B-29, Airfix with the Nimrod, Victor & Vulcan, Heller E-3, Trumpeter TU-95 Bear, there are even 72nd kits of the Antonov heavies, and yet it seems airliners have to be consigned to toy 1:144 scale.

727, 737, 757, Comet, Trident and One Eleven are quite modestly sized, and all propeller types even more so, but even a 72nd 747 is manageable.

Let's see some of these classics get the full modern tooled, and detailed 72nd treatment, thankfully BPK seem to realise that there is a market for such things, and even Heller of the past delivered with their 707 and Constellation beauties.

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 3

47 minutes ago, 71chally said:

In fact, while we are on the subject, I just don't get the 72nd being too large for airliners thing at all. 

Monogram & Revell have consistently had large military models in their catalogues, 72nd B-52s, B-36, 48th B-1B and B-29, Airfix with the Nimrod, Victor & Vulcan, Heller E-3, Trumpeter TU-95 Bear, there are even 72nd kits of the Antonov heavies, and yet it seems airliners have to be consigned to toy 1:144 scale.

727, 737, 757, Comet, Trident and One Eleven are quite modestly sized, and all propeller types even more so, but even a 72nd 747 is manageable.

Let's see some of these classics get the full modern tooled, and detailed 72nd treatment, thankfully BPK seem to realise that there is a market for such things, and even Heller of the past delivered with their 707 and Constellation beauties.

Monogram had a number of large (very large...) types but these were afterall bombers, that generally attract more people: if someone has a collection of 1/48 WW2 fighters he may be tempted by a B-29 in the same scale and the same applies for someone with a collection of 1/72 postwar fighters for a 1/72 B-52 or B-1

We should also consider that Monogram with their large kits almost had the market for themselves for a long time, and there haven't been many competitors offering the same subjects over the years. This should tell us that even the market for large bombers in 1/72 is relatively limited.

Again looking at what has been done in 1/72 scale, we can see how the Heller 707 was offered in both airliner and military form (the various E-3 boxing) and the military ones have been reissued more often than the conventional airliner... that seems to prove again that there's a bit more market for military types.

1/144 for airliners makes a lot of sense, nthe size is manageable and the cost allows a modeller to build a collection with good numbers something that the cost (and size) of a 1/72 kit of the same subject would make more difficult. From a manufacturer perspective a 1/72 liner is a huge gamble as the number of people buying one is limited and because the price would shrink the numbers even more. Offering the same type in 1/144 means accessing a larger market with much more chances of repeated purchases from the same modellers, that is a much more ideal situation.

In the end I fear that for the vast majority 1/72 airliners will remain confined manufacturers that use production techniques suited to small production numbers, same as it's always been with some very limited exceptions: it was vacforms in the past, today it can be resin, A-Model style fibreglass, or short run plastic and now 3D printing. Fortunately for modellers interested in that kind of thing these techniques today allow the production of kits that can be built more easily compared to the vacuforms of the '80s and '90s and really there has been a good number of 1/72 airliners made with these technique, including British one. Clearly though the investment remains on the high side of things, as usually happens with niche products.

Edited by Giorgio N
  • Like 1

That is the common sense answer @Giorgio N which most businesses have to work too of course, but hope against hope we will see more in 72nd, the Nitto/Entex/Doyusha approach (all be it 1:100) gives me that hope to cling on to.

As you say though, there is a far bigger choice in various formats open to us now, what One Man Models produces would be unthinkable a few years back, but I'm just a bit of an 'injection' fan!

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 07/12/2020 at 18:26, 71chally said:

I keep searching the 'net for that AIM HS Trident 3B but they allappear to have left this earth!!🙄🙄

There are two IM kits of the 737 - Aurora and BKM.

Furthermore - there are several vacform/resin kits of the same; Welsh Models and AIM come to mind. Hm.. that's probably because I have them in my stash😜

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the Heller 707 - Correct shapes (for the right mark) and easily built :)

Cheers, Moggy (all for transport aircraft in 1/72)

Edited by Moggy
Added 707
  • Like 1