P-51D Mustang from 'Sow's Ear' to Scat VII (1/48 Monogram refurb)

Maybe as a nod to the spirit of 'Reduce, Reuse, Recycle', I recently dug out an old 1/48 Monogram P-51D Mustang that I built (badly) over 40 years ago. I stripped off the thick layer of Humbrol 11 and used some spare parts from the new 1/48 Airfix Mustang kit to replace items that had gone missing. It wasn't the quickest of tasks - I think I could have built 3 Tamiya Mustangs in the time it took me to complete the refurb! Anyway, after all the stripping, replacing, repainting and general refurbing, here's the end result, Scat VII, flown by Gen, Robin Olds in 1945: 

Mustang_1

The positive thing about the raised panel lines of the Monogram kit is that it makes it easy to recreate the puttied and painted aluminium finish of the laminar wings. I re-scribed the panel lines on the fuselage.

Mustang_3

Mustang_2

With a bit of winter sun today, and with some help from Photoshop, I was able to take a photo against the sky.

Mustang_4

This was my starting point:

Mustang_5

Ugh. The paint for the invasion stripes must be 1mm thick!

Mustang_6

I had to resort to a bit of surgery to use the Airfix transparent parts.

Mustang_7

Final picture in B&W:

Mustang_8

Thanks for looking.

RichardC

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Farmerboy said:

Great refurbishment, the invasion stripes must have taken a while to rub back! Good job!

Thanks @Farmerboy - the trick was an overnight coat of Mr. Muscle Oven Cleaner which removed the old Humbrol paint very easily.  The decal glue however had a weird chemical reaction - that did need ra fair bit of rubbing down!