US Navy F-4 Phantom speed brake well color?

Mark V

Hey All, 
I’m building the 1/48th Academy gull gray/white F-4J. I’m an Air Force guy so am not very familiar with the Navy versions. My question is: What is the color of the speed brake wells in the lower wing?  I know the inner side of the speed brakes themselves are red. Are the wells red also, or white?  I can’t find any pictures that show this because it’s pretty much always in shadow and nobody takes pictures of that stuff except modelers.  Same question for a future F-4S build in the TPS gray scheme. Red or the underside gray?
On the USAF jets the speed brake wells were the underside color, at least on all of the jets I was around. 

I’m using the kit VF-84 Jolly Roger decals. A little bit of research shows they were in the Mediterranean operating off the USS Franklin D. Roosevelt in the early 70s. 

Thanks in advance. 
Mark V

Red.  Navy has a thing for red for safety reasons.  I'm retired Air Force but you pick things up as you go through this hobby and do your research.

Later,

Dave

I would also go for white with the inner face of the speed brake red. The edges of the undercarriage doors were also usually red I believe.

A little away from your question but the FGR.2 at Duxford has "pink" inner speed brakes - originally red but over sprayed with light aircraft grey at some point.

10 hours ago, Mark V said:

Ciao a tutti, 
sto costruendo l'F-4J gabbiano grigio / bianco 1/48 dell'Accademia. Sono un ragazzo dell'Air Force quindi non ho molta familiarità con le versioni Navy. La mia domanda è: qual è il colore dei pozzetti del freno di velocità nell'ala inferiore? So che il lato interno degli stessi freni di velocità è rosso. Anche i pozzetti sono rossi o bianchi? Non riesco a trovare nessuna foto che lo mostri perché è praticamente sempre in ombra e nessuno scatta foto di quella roba tranne i modellisti. Stessa domanda per una futura build F-4S nello schema grigio TPS. Rosso o grigio sul lato inferiore?
Sui jet USAF i pozzetti del freno di velocità erano il colore della parte inferiore, almeno su tutti i jet in cui ero in giro. 

Sto usando il kit decalcomanie Jolly Roger VF-84. Un po 'di ricerca mostra che erano nel Mediterraneo operando al largo della USS Franklin D. Roosevelt nei primi anni '70. 

Grazie in anticipo. 
Mark V

the internal compartment of the brake on the wing, white color, the moving part of the brake, red. Good work friend.

Thanks everyone. I’m not quite to the painting stage yet, just looking ahead. I can see that spraying white, over the white plastic, will be a problem. Reckon I might just paint it overall light gull gray first, then paint the white parts. Thanks Academy. 

Good idea to paint the entire model gull grey first. I had a heck of a time hiding the break between the white and grey plastic, even with Tamiya white primer. If I were to build another Academy F-4B, I’d prime the entire model with grey Tamiya primer, to give it a uniform starting color.

Ben

I have a can of Tamiya gray primer. I’ll probably spray that first, it covers better than the white primer anyway. Black is an interesting option but seems like it would make it very difficult to cover with white. Would definitely get tonal variations.