1/32 Brit Phantom FG.1 XV571 conversion from Tamiya and Wild Hare set

Ok here is where the intakes are at.  3 heavy coats of primer sanded back and intake edges 'fine tuned' I can top coat the white. Then the grey exterior colour inside the front section and the wee probe glued inside.

X8y8cu.jpg

I tried to show the modified opening shape with this pic.  Dosent really look a lot different after all that cutting and grinding LOL

uiPoe7.jpg

Started boxing in the bleed air vents, but I need to finish painting the interior so I can glue the rear vari ramp section in (I still need to cut the forward 2 sections off yet.  I am keeping them on for now as it helps with alignment)

9AG3wT.jpg

Looking back at those pics, I just realized just how much work has gone in to those to get the shapes right.

Cheers

Anthony

• Like 7

I have agonized over where the grey/white demarcation line went inside the intake.  I thought initially it was just behind the intake lip as the EDSG/White had it positioned there, many Camo ones did too, although I found several with it extending back further in.  Then the grey ones were really tough to figure out.  I was fooled a few times by the lower lip and ramp edges making it look like a colour change, however the more I studied and studied it seems that the norm was further back.  In the end my ref's only conclusively found one grey one where the demarcation was quite forward, but the rest seemed a long way back in the grey scheme (even a little variation there as well) so I opted to mask almost back to the edge of the last ramp where I am happy with.  

Barley Grey, I need your input on this colour.  I have just layed down the first base coat on the left intake and rear vari-ramp section.  The Barley Grey seems to have a bit of a greenish hue to it at some angles  Is this correct (having never seen the colour in real life and relying on photos to guide me) as it seems correct in some lights against  some photo's get too greeny (not as bad as the F-4J (UK) when they were delivered.  I have used Mr Color 'Barley Grey'

Anyway see below and let me know your thoughts

VRt8kp.jpg

LOL, it looks really grey in the photo 

However, maybe that is the nature of that particular grey???

Cheers Anthony

• Like 8

I don’t know the subject matter well enough to meaningfully contribute other than to say I’m still in awe at the level of detail you’re working to and achieving.  Following along in hopes some of that runs off on me 😁

On 1/2/2021 at 10:36 AM, mark.au said:

I don’t know the subject matter well enough to meaningfully contribute other than to say I’m still in awe at the level of detail you’re working to and achieving.  Following along in hopes some of that runs off on me 😁

Thank you very much...that sure is a compliment coming from you!

The guys on LSP felt the colour was a bit dark, and the greenish tones looked all wrong...I agreed.

Derek sent me the Painting AP for the Brit Phantom and I moved the internal demarcation of the grey back to where it should be and pfaffed about with the grey until I got what I thought looked right compared to photos

Better??

YYpU5u.jpg

• Like 6

Crikey the modifications and the work you have put is phenomenal and they look great, very smooth indeed too.  Great work.   You could get away with a slight difference in tone on the inside due to it being in shade once assembled.  I won't tell anyone if you don't!!!

Chris

• Like 1

On 1/3/2021 at 11:09 PM, bigbadbadge said:

Crikey the modifications and the work you have put is phenomenal and they look great, very smooth indeed too.  Great work.   You could get away with a slight difference in tone on the inside due to it being in shade once assembled.  I won't tell anyone if you don't!!!

Chris

LOL, thanks buddy.  But I ended up lightening it up even a touch more (just a tiny bit)

Ok so the insides are pretty much done.  Part of me wants to dirty up the white, but I think once the engine front is fitted and it is glued to the fuselage the shadowing will be enough.  All I have left to do is put a tiny black 'dot' on the probe front to simulate a hole and then glue the vari ramp section in permanently.

I glued the intake probe/sensors to a piece of very thin plastic card and blended in with Mr Surfacer and then trimmed the edges to match photos of how it mounts to the intakes.  Actually looking at photos I have glued them in a slightly different position as the kit holes didnt seem in quite the right place (a little low comparing to photos).

Anyway, I am getting close to gluing to the main fuselage...but I have yet to do the vents on the tops and bottoms.  I have had to resist the urge just to glue them on and cross that bridge later on.  But I know that would make them really difficult to do properly....so I better do it now.

v3gf8I.jpg

Cheers Anthony

• Like 6

Hey Anthony 

I gotta agree with Chris it really does look awesome 😎 the amount of effort and attention to detail you’re putting into this is brilliant and I know the final result is going to be a show stopper.

Keep at it mate I look forward to the next instalment.

all the best and stay safe

Iain

• Like 1

22 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Oh man that looks awesome,  great job. I think you are right about leaving the white and the shadow effects when together being enough. 

Cracking work 

Chris 

Thanks Chris.  Appreciate your support mate!  I agree, I am going to leave it.

17 hours ago, (ex)Sgtrafman said:

Hey Anthony 

I gotta agree with Chris it really does look awesome 😎 the amount of effort and attention to detail you’re putting into this is brilliant and I know the final result is going to be a show stopper.

Keep at it mate I look forward to the next instalment.

all the best and stay safe

Iain

Thanks Iain!

I just hope it looks like a British Phantom when finished and not a US one painted to look like one LOL, thanks buddy

You stay safe too,

I am just sorting the transition between intakes and resin fuselage before gluing.  Getting the 'line' close as possible and the width of the fuse correct is best done before gluing the intakes on so I can work on the enlarged shoulders, see below as one of my refs from Ferodo Bridge's Flickr acct highlights

There is a LOT of info in this photo below which explains where the shapes all are.  I will explain more later on when I get them glued on

rITzEM.jpg

In the meantime its back to upper and lower intake vents before I can do that

Cheers Anthony

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 1/10/2021 at 9:06 PM, heloman1 said:

All that pushing and pulling Anthony, what a great result.

Colin

Thanks Colin...turning into a marathon not a sprint!  Thanks for tuning in

1 hour ago, feifeitim said:

Just caught your thread Anthony!  Sorry to be so late to the party!  Some quite amazing work going into this Toom!  Great stuff - well done!

Glad to have you along, no need to apologize.  I feel like I should apologize for the progress being so slow.  It's been a bigger job than I expected

Cheers guys

Anthony 

• Like 1

So I thought I would update you all on the intakes (the never ending story!)

Now the internals are done and painted it was time for me to face the bleed air vents on the Brit Toom.  These are wider than std Phantom intakes as this is where the widening was done.

I now have most of the upper vent sections boxed in. Hopefully you can see where I am going with this angled corner piece. The dimensions are matched perfectly to everyone's measurements they supplied...so thankyou all!  What this now does is give me the basic shape that I can now trim and sand/contour everything down to. This should allow me to get very close to where the shape needs to be and then I can finish boxing in the inner sections...then add all the angled vents  ( I might need locking up after this part as I have been dreading it!)

This is where I need to be, photo courtesy of Iain Ogilvie

7cI8U7.jpg

And this is where I am at

TFWjmI.jpg

This pic also shows (kinda) that I have smoothed all the inner surfaces

QqdJQN.jpg

Not pretty I know....but I said it would be warts n all

Cheers and thanks for stopping by

Anthony

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

See more magic is taking place, looks very neat indeed. Cracking work.  What are you going to used for the gills or slots, are you going to use brass or plastic or paper even ?

Chris

Thanks Chris...I am enjoying having you along!

Well I will probably use fine plastic card as I can MEK it in nice and cleanly.  I am going to black base the whole airframe before topcoat so I will be careful when spraying around here so the black base acts as a deep layer so as to simulate the depth without washes.  I really dont know as I am making this up as I go LOL

• Like 1

Thanks, I am sure it will turn out well judging from what I have seen of your work so far.  I have not heard of Mek for a while now.  I used to hear it a lot on model railway sites.  I have the plastic weld alternative.  

Can't wait to see these come together. 

Chris

• Like 1

Couldnt see what I was doing with the white plastic card, so shot Mr Surfacer and....whoa, there goes a whole pile of areas that now need sorting out...

QUEumS.jpg

In case you are wondering...most of those openings are different sizes

VVuOQC.jpg

Cheers Anthony...with a long road ahead still!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 1/17/2021 at 9:22 PM, heloman1 said:

Excellent work Anthony...

Colin

Thanks Colin!

Well work continues at a glacial pace right now as I am STILL working on these intakes!

Because the kit intakes were shortened a little the corresponding lower wing needed modification to keep everything in it's place.  Just behind the edge of where the intakes are glued there are a row of rivets.  According to my calculations and offering the parts all up together taped together I need to shorten to the rivet line.  The pic below should illustrate showing one side already done.

2xQKUV.jpg

Another update soon, just got to take a couple of pics for you all.

Cheers Anthony

• Like 3

Here we are at the intakes...did I mention this is a massive job???LOL.  But I think if you see how I have tackled it, then it might make it a little easier and quicker.  As I say there are probably other ways, but this is just how I have decided to go about it.

Both top vent boxes are done (and match-phew) but I still need to add the louvers.  But I am just finishing up the lower ones before I tackle that.  I have taped them to the WH resin fuse to see where I need to be as I know this area is going to be a mess due to the fact this area was widened too much. 

XO1CoB.jpg

TEw6sc.jpg

I can slowly see that more accurate 'coke bottle' shape starting to emerge.

TlEq89.jpg

However you will start to see the issue between the resin fuselage and accurate (I believe) intakes.  Notice the 'dip between the 2?  The actual shape is somewhere between the two

4WuTVI.jpg

Here it is close up

ZxXCXW.jpg

Interestingly what I can now see is how the Spey engine thrust line must effect the intake trunking. and structure shape, and why the shoulder is higher at its junction with the upper fuse spine area on Brit Phantoms.

I will address those shapes in another post

As always thanks for tuning in

Anthony

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2