1/32 Brit Phantom FG.1 XV571 conversion from Tamiya and Wild Hare set

So who knew Phantom Navy rudder pedals were different to Air Force ones?  I didnt.  Kerry surprised me with this fact last week and then after doing a CAD realised Brit ones were different again!

So here are the kit ones

Here are the kit ones

s6eRmS.jpg

This is Kerrys final renderings...they'll hardly be seen, so only we will know.  But I am thrilled to know they are there and accurate, thanks buddy!!

wEbtPU.jpg

z8wj4w.jpg

But I did ask for help with the TESS outside section of the periscope...thanks again!

Tq0eZi.jpg

MQT75A.jpg

JgLqwC.jpg

Big shout out to Rick @Spooky56 for the very detailed set of measurements for this!! Thank you sir

This is a global effort with this project and cant claim much praise for this myself.  You guys here, LSP  and the British Phantom Aviation Preservation and Phantom Builders Facebook groups have humbled me with your collective efforts.  I think I have learned more than I ever imagined about Brit Tooms than I thought I ever would have.  All of you who who have helped me out to this point, a huge "THANK YOU"

So back to plugging away on adding and detailing more in the front office

V5NUyR.jpg

cxdP2l.jpg

I am hoping to get this front tub epoxied in soon

Until then...see you soon

Anthony

• Like 19

21 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Oh boy, the coaming looks great Anthony and the renderings for the rudder pedals and periscope look fantastic as does the front tub, awesome work all round by you and Kerry.

Chris

Thanks Chris

I am loving your Sea Venom progress too.  Lovely work with that white finish!

Just waiting on the epoxy to cure with the front tub now fitted

ivL70Y.jpg

Cheers Anthony

• Like 8

Looking great Anthony!

May I suggest a subtle touch of yellow chromate type colour on the cockpit sills? I recall seeing some photos where the paint and rubbed through to the primer. Maybe not suitable for late mod Phantoms, I don't know.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, DonH said:

Looking great Anthony!

May I suggest a subtle touch of yellow chromate type colour on the cockpit sills? I recall seeing some photos where the paint and rubbed through to the primer. Maybe not suitable for late mod Phantoms, I don't know.

Thanks Don!

You raise a very good question and something I studied at the time. It was something I was going to do initially as the ’Lock On’ book showed great wear with yellow chromate showing through. Then later on I discovered an FGR.2 that was worn straight through to metal.  Odd I thought so I looked further and a general theme I found was that Brit FG.1 and FGR.2’s wore straight through to metal with no yellow showing through. However the F-4J(UK) definitely had the chromate yellow showing through. However there were exceptions but that’s what my investigations ‘generally’ found. 

I do need to further look into this as there is also rubber seals that I think still need to go on.

You know what?

I love that you have raised this point! I love encouragement but I especially love it when you guys bring these points up and it’s happened a lot. Without asking and suggestions I would not have got this far with accuracy. So thank you!

I will revisit this again and might even add a splash of yellow still.

One thing I also should have done is put some wear on the floor where the crews boots would have scuffed the paint.

Oh well…..I’m still learning and still hate cockpits lol

Cheers Anthony 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, heloman1 said:

Great work as usual Anthony, I didn't realise you were getting assistance/feed back from so many sources! Isn't this modelling fraternity great.

Colin

Thanks Colin, yup love this place. Often I get emails and PM’s suggesting or checking my work.

I definitely will look into the cockpit sills again before I finish. Thanks for your keen eye!!

Cheers Anthony 

I never got to work on the Navy jets, after 849 NAS and the Gannets I was moved over to the rotary wing squadrons. I became a Junglie and hence my passion for the Wessex.

I don't think I'll ever build a large scale Toom too much work and too many helo kits in the stash However, I have a Fujimi kit which needs serious repair work, plus I recently purchased the new Airfix kit, both in '72. They will fill a hole in my FAA collection. Forty-eighth is reserved for my helo builds.

Colin

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Thanks Chris

I am loving your Sea Venom progress too.  Lovely work with that white finish!

Just waiting on the epoxy to cure with the front tub now fitted

ivL70Y.jpg

Cheers Anthony

Great to see the front tub now in Anthony,  it's looking rather splendid.   Thanks for your kind comments about my Sea Venom, much appreciated. 

Great work as usual

Chris

• Like 1

Well Anthony just caught up with your progreess now back fron my diving holiday in Egypt.  I do not know what is so controversial about your progress pics, but Egypt blocks them but now home I can see what you have achieved in all its glory, fantastic well done.

I agree to an extent regarding the suggestion about the yellow chromate.  It is all very subjective, it depends how far into the periods between deep service when the sills are repainted and are a nice black to as the months progress when it wears through to areas of primer and eventually to areas of bare metal. This applies to most areas of high wear.  The same applies to the internal edges of canopies and sceen edges.

Keep up the fantastic work

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Great to see the front tub now in Anthony,  it's looking rather splendid.   Thanks for your kind comments about my Sea Venom, much appreciated. 

Great work as usual

Chris

Thanks Chris!  I ment it about the Sea Venom, mighty impressed!

4 hours ago, Tony G said:

Well Anthony just caught up with your progreess now back fron my diving holiday in Egypt.  I do not know what is so controversial about your progress pics, but Egypt blocks them but now home I can see what you have achieved in all its glory, fantastic well done.

I agree to an extent regarding the suggestion about the yellow chromate.  It is all very subjective, it depends how far into the periods between deep service when the sills are repainted and are a nice black to as the months progress when it wears through to areas of primer and eventually to areas of bare metal. This applies to most areas of high wear.  The same applies to the internal edges of canopies and sceen edges.

Keep up the fantastic work

Heeeey Tony!

Glad you're back buddy.  I bet you had an awesome time, I am somewhat jealous! You must send me pics!

Yup, weathering is a tricky one, I really wanted to put the yellow ZC in there but went off my instincts with this particular airframe so late in her service life.  I even saw pics of them outside awaiting the scrappers axe so faded that there was clearly no yellow under the very faded black sils.  I think either is correct.

Everything still fits!!

So this represents a fully converted (Post Mod 406) RAF FG.1 Phantom cockpit as best I can

A2L4dm.jpg

I am looking forward to working on something else after the rudder pedals and a couple of other minor things are glued in....I am sick of the cockpit. But very happy with it!

Cheers Anthony

Cheers Anthony

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Thanks Chris!  I ment it about the Sea Venom, mighty impressed!

Thanks Anthony,  very kind fella, first coat of EDSG went on tonight.

Although you're sick of it, the cockpits look phenomenal.   Really great work. 

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/21/2022 at 5:46 PM, DonH said:

In the words of total understatement - not bad at all.

LOL thanks mate!

So I have my fingers working again after slicing 3 of them open...one pretty bad.  But I am left handed and the worst one is on my right hand...so off I go!

Kerry's 3D printed Brit Phantom rudder pedals arrived yesterday and I got straight to work...after work

0HsQfk.jpg

Quite an improvement over the kit ones

I was a little worried they wouldn't be seen, but surprisingly they are fairly visible...100% worth the effort, thanks Kerry.  So I sprayed them silver, then grey, added a wash and then buffed them back to practically silver again to simulate wear.

9KhT4c.jpg

And even with the coaming dropped in place

tQkwyQ.jpg

Not wanting to sit around too much I got to work start to make the frames inside the Aux air doors in the back

ANxF3L.jpg

Cheers until next time

Anthony

Edited by Anthony in NZ
  • Like 19

On 11/20/2022 at 8:19 AM, Anthony in NZ said:

I’m actually a big helicopter fan myself. You must have had a great career working on those birds!

I’ve actually got several to build myself in 1/32 . My ultimate would be a 1/32 Bell 412 and a Wasp

Cheers Anthony 

What, no 1/24 Sea King?  No ambition, these kit designers

• Haha 3

It occurred to me reading your last superb slew of updates that we are - in the clearest sense of the word - watching an aircraft materialise here in front of our eyes Anthony.

A privilege to witness work of such distinction - including that of your other contributors to the project.

• Like 1

On 11/30/2022 at 2:09 AM, ivan-o said:

Bloody awesome work👌Are all those switches in the correct settings though?😉

+1 and, yes, all the switches are in the correct settings. I'm surprised you had to ask 😉 If there are any switches that don't match period photos, it is because the pilot made an error before he left the cockpit....

• Haha 4

On 11/29/2022 at 8:23 PM, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

What, no 1/24 Sea King?  No ambition, these kit designers

LOL a SeaKing would be cool too!

On 11/29/2022 at 9:33 PM, Tony G said:

We know you want your model to be a cut above the rest but you do not have to take it literally.

Front seat coming on a treat but try to keep the blood loss down to a minimum

Haha, thanks Tony, I will keep future blood-letting down to a minimum... besides I am not good with blood, especially my own LOL

On 11/30/2022 at 2:22 AM, TheBaron said:

It occurred to me reading your last superb slew of updates that we are - in the clearest sense of the word - watching an aircraft materialise here in front of our eyes Anthony.

A privilege to witness work of such distinction - including that of your other contributors to the project.

Awwww thanks very much! Really appreciate that....now get back to your Wasp :D

On 11/30/2022 at 3:18 AM, Thom216 said:

Those pedals are a lovely little addition.

Yeah I think so too. Especially now I realise you can actually see them!

On 11/30/2022 at 5:58 AM, Dr. Quack said:

Work of art in development.

Enjoying this so much.

Q

Oh mate, I am so glad you are!  I love having you about sir!

On 11/30/2022 at 7:09 AM, ivan-o said:

Bloody awesome work👌Are all those switches in the correct settings though?😉

Thanks very much!...Ummm yeah :winkgrin:

On 11/30/2022 at 7:22 AM, bigbadbadge said:

Those pedals look fantastic and really do add to all your fantastic work.  Hope the fingers recover swiftly. 

Chris

Thanks Chris, yes all fingers are good to go again!

10 hours ago, DonH said:

+1 and, yes, all the switches are in the correct settings. I'm surprised you had to ask 😉 If there are any switches that don't match period photos, it is because the pilot made an error before he left the cockpit....

Yeah sheesh.....you're absolutely right! Cant give pilots too many responsibilities with too many knobs and switches sometimes LOL

Thank you all....you keep me from sitting this on the shelf of doom!

Cheers Anthony

• Like 3

Only a small update 

An air conditioning duct runs around the inside edge of the windscreen with a fishtail type outlet.

I started with 0.20 x 0.40 Evergreen strip around the edge from the front finishing here

31VuXZ.jpg

And little fishtail ends to match photo's little bit of weathering with Tamiya weathering pastels (white) applied with the sponge side of the applicator and a Prismacolour silver pencil to the rear edge

uBTW07.jpg

Windscreen still fits, thats going to need an edge piece put on it at some stage when I use Aerocrafts screen

DSKfvt.jpg

gm5f35.jpg

Still a bit more to go in the front here but...my goodness the camera hides nothing!

Cheers Anthony

• Like 15