1/32 Brit Phantom FG.1 XV571 conversion from Tamiya and Wild Hare set

Hi Anthony

I have run out of innovative words to describe the excellence of the work you produce

Is there any chance you can show us something you did  even slightly bit wrong, no matter how temporary it was, just to prove to me that you are not perfect or the god of modelling, and that you are actually human  😀

Failing that, just keep up the fantastic insperational work you produce

Edited by Tony G
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/4/2022 at 10:57 AM, Fritag said:

Ok, wow.  I’m gonna go back and read this from the beginning in the next few days Anthony; my apologies in advance if you get an influx of ‘likes’ :D

LOL all good, I hope you find something of use in there!  I have been following your two Hawks and am totally in love with the work and detail you have put in them!  Awesome.

Enjoy Paris....

Cheers Anthony

12 hours ago, heloman1 said:

Still stunning us with your brilliant modelling.

Colin

Likewise with yours Colin, thanks and nice to have you still around buddy!

10 hours ago, Tony G said:

Hi Anthony

I have run out of innovative words to describe the excellence of the work you produce

Is there any chance you can show us something you did  even slightly bit wrong, no matter how temporary it was, just to prove to me that you are not perfect or the god of modelling, and that you are actually human  😀

Failing that, just keep up the fantastic insperational work you produce

Hahaha, well I am sure I can find something, the insides and bits you cant see look like a train wreck and I have the shakes so bad sometimes I have to have a triple shot coffee to steady myself LOL

Thank you so much, and thank you so much for your emails and assistance along the way, I really appreciate your experience and suggestions!

So I made some good progress today, before my eyes clapped out!

Pretty much done except 2 red stencils and a yellow/black canopy locking leaver.  Then it's on to the front tub, phew

Inside details of the placards and periscope (In the Black Box set oddly)

cOG0Z6.jpg

You can see the scratchbuilt radar hand controller but most of it is hidden and you cant really see the placards and wear.

4viatA.jpg

9ljIen.jpg

B0lhXB.jpg

yAnsWa.jpg

Cheers Anthony

• Like 17

Holy Crap!  That’s ridiculously good.  Stunning work; the accumulation of lots and lots of little details makes the overall effect completely convincing.  Not my scale (I’m a 1/48 man when it comes to aircraft), but there is a Toom (RN, natch) in my theoretical future, so I know where I’ll be looking for info and inspiration

• Like 3

Progress report (mine - not Anthony’s).  So I’m presently up to page 6 (I did apologise in advance for all the likes…) and can only quote my Naval pal:

8 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Holy Crap!  That’s ridiculously good.  Stunning work

:D

You’re close to achieving the impossible of making me love the Phantom (back in the day I declined the RAF’s kind offer of a posting to the brute).

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Fritag said:

Progress report (mine - not Anthony’s).  So I’m presently up to page 6 (I did apologise in advance for all the likes…) and can only quote my Naval pal:

:D

You’re close to achieving the impossible of making me love the Phantom (back in the day I declined the RAF’s kind offer of a posting to the brute).

Lol, only page 6…..by page 30 you’ll be joining the BPAPG and sitting in the front office of Black Mike  making jet noises! 

Thanks so much, means a lot you’re enjoying it. Makes all the efforts documenting it worthwhile 

Cheers Anthony 

• Haha 6

2 hours ago, Fritag said:

back in the day I declined the RAF’s kind offer of a posting to the brute…

Holding out for the Buccaneer, eh?  [Not wanting to fly a Naval aircraft is implausible, so I have discounted that]

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Tony G said:

As you are not adding aircrew you will not have to bother with the loose nut in the front  seat

LOL true!

Few more details added to the rear bulkhead to match Brit FG.1 layout in late mod state.

a1RnxA.jpg

And sidewalls have also been changed quite a lot, sorry I dont have a pic of what the Avionics parts looked like before I started removing stuff and adding extras.  But this is pretty much what an FG.1 front sidewalls should look like, locking mechanism connecting rods to be added and then hopefully this weekend I can epoxy the front tub in 

oZt6pj.jpg

Righty....off to bed

Cheers Anthony

• Like 15

On 11/5/2022 at 12:36 PM, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Holy Crap!  That’s ridiculously good.  Stunning work; the accumulation of lots and lots of little details makes the overall effect completely convincing.  Not my scale (I’m a 1/48 man when it comes to aircraft), but there is a Toom (RN, natch) in my theoretical future, so I know where I’ll be looking for info and inspiration

You have a Sea King to finish first Crisp!!! But then who am I to chirp?

Colin

• Haha 2

On 11/10/2022 at 1:52 PM, heloman1 said:

You have a Sea King to finish first Crisp!!! But then who am I to chirp?

Colin

There is method in the long pause in my Sea King.  To get the rotor head anywhere near what I have in my head, it’s going to need 3D printing.  I have the printer, so now I am upping my CAD skills…

• Like 2

Astounding work, I'm going to run out of superlatives for this build.  I seem to recall that the optical scope in the mid canopy frame, fitted as an ID aid for the Nav was originally from some AFV, and I think it was out of a Chieftain- Just an Something x Magnification scope. Others here may know more. 🙂 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Like watching a musician find extra notes on an instrument you thought you were familiar with.

One thing I've learned with this hobby is that there is always another note. And this build seems to be finding them all!     :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 2

On 11/11/2022 at 2:54 AM, heloman1 said:

Anthony, does the periscope deploy into the airstream? Beautiful work.

Colin

Hi Colin

Thanks....and no it's a permanent fixture on the outside

On 11/11/2022 at 3:52 AM, coneheadff said:

Fantastic, absolutely PHANTASTIC!!!

Phanks!  

On 11/11/2022 at 7:34 AM, bigbadbadge said:

Great updates Anthony, the details such as the periscope and the details in both tubs are exquisite. 

What an amazing job.

Chris

Thanks Chris, It's the attention to the small details (as you know already) that I think make all the difference

7 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

There is method in the long pause in my Sea King.  To get the rotor head anywhere near what I have in my head, it’s going to need 3D printing.  I have the printer, so now I am upping my CAD skills…

Oooh look forward to seeing what you can achieve

7 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Work to feel humbled by Anthony.

And I feel humbled by it.

Like watching a musician find extra notes on an instrument you thought you were familiar with.

Ummmm, I think you have it around the wrong way mate.....your Wasp is out of this planet!  

7 hours ago, Troffa said:

Astounding work, I'm going to run out of superlatives for this build.  I seem to recall that the optical scope in the mid canopy frame, fitted as an ID aid for the Nav was originally from some AFV, and I think it was out of a Chieftain- Just an Something x Magnification scope. Others here may know more. 🙂 

LOL, no need to use superlatives, just tell me where I am getting things wrong.  I couldnt live further on this planet away from a Brit Toom that I am relying you guys to spot things I miss!  Appreciate having you following along still

6 hours ago, Winded Penguin said:

32 pages showing the art of the possible in glamour modelling, which is what this level of craft is 👍

Something unattainable in the normal world 😉

No mate, anyone can do it, i'd suspect that the resin and aftermarket, coupled with crappy photography are making things look better than they actually are LOL

2 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

One thing I've learned with this hobby is that there is always another note. And this build seems to be finding them all!     :)

Cheers,

Bill

Thanks Bill!  There have been a few 'choice' notes used verbally if that's what you mean LOL!

Now this post is specially for those guys planning this conversion unless the new 1/32 Phantom range from Turkey include Spey powered ones... in which case I am the only fool going to do this

There seem to be all sorts of different coaming styles (Brit ones only) and they depend whether they are FG.1 early or late RAF, FGR.2 and 'J' UK's.  We will focus on 'late mod' RAF Operated FG.1's for the purpose of this build as the rest of the cockpit is configured that way.

Initially I was going to use the coaming for the F-4C but there were features of the 'J' in it.  After much scratching of the head I decided to go back to the Aires 'J' coaming and modify that. The shielding over and around the scope is different and shorter.  So here is stage one

Cut the coaming back and sand and scrape to the correct shape. Also round the corners or shoulders on the resin side edges

This is to show you how far back it must come, oh and ribbing removed

aHp9RV.jpg

Modified side

4Ih17M.jpg

And now both sides done and a check that it looks correct for the next stage

33qETt.jpg

Hope this is useful to anyone contemplating this build.  I have to say, I spend more time studying and researching than I actually do building

On to stage two of the coaming...whatever that is as I am figuring it out as I go!

Thanks again for your generous praise, it is clear there is a real LOVE of the Brit Spey powered Toom's here and I am not disappointing obviously.  Your help along the was have been invaluable!

Cheers Anthony 

• Like 11

20 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Saw this earlier and thought of you Anthony:

52494166366_87a0011c45_b.jpg

John Ruskin: Modern Painters Vol. V (1860)

Awww thanks mate.....:wub:

Is this a Bro-mance forming???  lol

Ok so this is where things get a bit ugly.  I have studied the FG.1 coaming as best I can and have run out of brain cells, so this is best I can tell what it is supposed to look like

Stage 2 bits of plastic card and filler

EwzEnA.jpg

A bit more plastic card and sanding/sculpting

nqjzgM.jpg

And underneath

2QZwD9.jpg

As I said, this set of posts are for those contemplating the same build.  Note though that this is a 'late mod' RAF FG.1 coaming, the RN ones were different again

Still a lot of cleaning up before Mr Surfacer to see where I need to fix

As always thanks for stopping by

Cheers Anthony

Edited by Anthony in NZ
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1