1/32 Brit Phantom FG.1 XV571 conversion from Tamiya and Wild Hare set

Absolutely what the other guys have said

And I am keeping my fingers crossed that after all the great work you have done in this masterclass the Tamiya announcement due in a couple of days isn’t…….

Well just like actors only referring to “the Scottish Play” let’s not say any more :D

• Haha 1

On 9/26/2022 at 9:55 PM, Tony G said:

Hi Anthony

Great to see you back in the saddle.

I was unaware of your crash hope is all well now.

I was begining to think you had lost it and had kicked the toom all around the garden Ha ha

hey buddy, yeah we're all good now thanks...Oh I did kick the Toom around the back yard a few times...but I've fixed it now LOL

On 9/27/2022 at 12:23 AM, heloman1 said:

Anthony, good to see you back at this build. Sorry to hear of your accident, I do hope there are no long term complications.

Neat looking panel.

Colin

Thanks,, no but the Toom is causing me more long term complications! LOL

On 9/27/2022 at 1:30 AM, mark.au said:

Oh! I’m so happy to see this one get going again!

…and glad you’re in a place to be able to do so, Anthony.

Thanks very much, I have a lot to catch up on around here!

On 9/27/2022 at 1:57 AM, Dr. Quack said:

So glad to see you back in the saddle again. Positively inspiring progress to date.

Q

Thank you very much sir, I always very much appreciate your feedback!

On 9/27/2022 at 1:58 AM, Johnson said:

May I add my best wishes, hope you're OK!

Awwww thanks mate!  Yup we're ok.  Lovely to hear from you!

Thanks guys...you are all amazing and have lifted my spirits!

Cheers Anthony

• Like 2

On 9/27/2022 at 5:59 AM, bigbadbadge said:

Hope you are recovering okay Anthony and great to see this back on again .

Teeny Tiny console looks good.

Chris

Thanks Chris....who woulda thought that panel would take all night LOL

On 9/27/2022 at 6:12 AM, Antti_K said:

Great to see you back on the project Anthony🙂

Kind Regards,

Antti

Thanks Antti, nice to be working on the big Phantom again.....

22 hours ago, Covjets13 said:

Evening Anthony, I hope that Auster build of yours is not the source of a crash…and it’s just a metaphorical reference to the stalled Tomb. It looks utterly breathtaking as usual. Sending regards down-under. 

cheers Si 

Awwwww thanks Si!  Really appreciate it and thanks for the cockpit set

21 hours ago, JohnT said:

Absolutely what the other guys have said

And I am keeping my fingers crossed that after all the great work you have done in this masterclass the Tamiya announcement due in a couple of days isn’t…….

Well just like actors only referring to “the Scottish Play” let’s not say any more :D

LOL me too....but if we see a LSP Toom......you're welcome LOL

Thanks guys, you're comments mean the world to me

Cheers Anthony

• Like 2

Glued the panel on its mount and then glued into the tub.  Thought I should to a test fit and make sure everything is in orientation and still in relation to everything else.  pretty happy so far.  Honestly I'd be happy with anything in the cockpit as I really struggle if you hadn't guessed it by all my moaning!

InCkwp.jpg

WTTo8w.jpg

Right-O back to the rear radar scope, ugh :shutup:

Cheers Anthony

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

On 9/29/2022 at 5:25 AM, bigbadbadge said:

Looks great in place in the pit Anthony,  great to see that cockpit interior again, looks very smart.

Chris

Thanks Chris, I seem to be getting there.  Who knew the rear tub of an FG.1 was so different to all the others!

Kerry's been beavering away on the radar scope in the back as I am just not happy with my scratchbuilding skills to do it justice.  Kerry is a legend and am forever indebted to him

2KdsDg.jpg

Whilst he works on that I am trying to make sense (again) of the engine detail inside the lower aux doors and rear panel upper section

Cheers guys

Anthony

• Like 5

Hi Antony

Given the fantastic accuracy Kerry and you are producing why not up the scale and you could build a full size replica Toom.  That way you could even sit in your work to appreciate it.  Mind you that might extend the build time and getting the finished model out of the house could be a problem.

• Haha 3

This is just an outrageously fine body of work Anthony: the attention to detail, colour and texture are constantly compelling. Compliments to both yourself and Kerry.

• Like 2

On 10/6/2022 at 9:11 PM, Tony G said:

Hi Antony

Given the fantastic accuracy Kerry and you are producing why not up the scale and you could build a full size replica Toom.  That way you could even sit in your work to appreciate it.  Mind you that might extend the build time and getting the finished model out of the house could be a problem.

Hahaha....and it would magnify my displeasure of cockpits 32 times as well!!

On 10/7/2022 at 7:26 AM, bigbadbadge said:

Looks exquisite,  the thickness of the side panels that will look amazing when installed.

Lovely 

Chris

Dosent it look good, wait till you see the next pic

On 10/7/2022 at 11:37 AM, TheBaron said:

This is just an outrageously fine body of work Anthony: the attention to detail, colour and texture are constantly compelling. Compliments to both yourself and Kerry.

Awwww man, thanks so very much!  That's a real compliment coming from you!

18 hours ago, heloman1 said:

Anthony, the radar scope looks impressive, is that one piece printing?

Colin

Dosent it....yup look below.  Done on an 8k printer

Printed in the 'stowed' position

iNuXlI.jpg

Cheers Anthony

• Like 9

3 hours ago, Spooky56 said:

Beautiful work - you’ll have that powered up in no time 😁

LOL....Kerry deserves all the praise on this one.  He did well!

58 minutes ago, Tony G said:

That scope looks so real I could imagine back to  banging my kneecaps on it when working in the rear cockpit.

When I am weathering it I will put a scratch/wear mark on it in memory of your knees!

50 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Oh wow, that looks absolutely stunning Anthony.   Amazing stuff.  Can't wait to see that painted.  Going to look awesome. 

Chris 

Yeah I think it will look great painted up.  Although it is mostly black I will use pastels and a grey/silver prismacolour pencil to accent it.

Thanks guys.  I am working on the foot trays and the rear panel still

Hopefully show some progress soon, I had to do a little hackery on my rear tub, but all's well so far.  

Cheers guys

Anthony

• Like 3

OK so after trying to remember what I needed to do and in what order I thought I should update before I get too far ahead. Especially for those of you out there contemplating this conversion.

I realized there are foot tray's/rests for the back seater so I got a little lazy and hacked them out of my Aires pit I wasnt using and modified them to be slightly thinner, taking a section from the outer edge

vniJ2Z.jpg

Now this pic is to advise you Toom builders not to use the kit supplied part for the 'J' as it is different to the FG.1 and I suspect FGR.2 as well.  I clipped off F23 which I suspect is for the C/D version.  This will need a little modification but not too much.

Also test fitting the centre canopy section (Tape on to protect the clear panel as the left is a solid panel with the periscope fitted.  I also needed to sort out heights etc for the big panels in front of the back seater's instruments and navigation computer etc. This is very prominent and important to get all my sizes and angles right or the centre canopy section wont fit

0amyf0.jpg

Here is the rear panel coming together.  Still a fair bit to sort but I have the main structure and positioning/sizes are now done.  I just have to add rivets, detailing and the gap in the middle is where the radar scope will go.  This will be drop in fit after the tubs are glued in.

9QcTsi.jpg

Speaking of which....the rear tub is now epoxied in! Big milestone for me.

GblBUI.jpg

Adios Amigo's, that's it till next time...thanks for tuning in

Cheers Anthony

• Like 17

6 hours ago, DonH said:

That looks beautiful, Anthony. I'm enjoying every minute of this build.

Thanks Don, likewise with your builds. I don’t always comment but love your work 

4 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

This is epic.     👍  👍  👍

Cheers,

Bill

Thanks Bill…..never realised how many differences there actually were

3 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Great work on the Panel Anthony and so pleased you have the boost to the old Mojo getting the rear tub in.

Chris

Thanks Chris, I questioned myself more than 10  times if the time was right lol

keep up with your lovely builds mate, you’re a motivation for me with your regular updates! 

Thanks for your comments and reactions, I appreciate every one and keeps me motivated!

cheers Anthony 

• Like 1