1/32 Brit Phantom FG.1 XV571 conversion from Tamiya and Wild Hare set

While researching my own project of a 1/32 conversion I stumbled on this thread. I took me 5 days to thoroughly read through. Amazing work Anthony! I can't tell if I am inspired or averted from this. :) Anyway I will probably read it all again and use it as a reference for whatever scale of British Phantom I do.

\\Dan

• Like 1

On 4/3/2022 at 11:10 PM, mark.au said:

So far so good Anthony.  I very much like where this is heading.

Thanks Mark!  So far me too....

1 hour ago, Zippo the Zipdrive said:

While researching my own project of a 1/32 conversion I stumbled on this thread. I took me 5 days to thoroughly read through. Amazing work Anthony! I can't tell if I am inspired or averted from this. :) Anyway I will probably read it all again and use it as a reference for whatever scale of British Phantom I do.

\\Dan

Dan, 

Thanks buddy!  That's exactly why I created this thread.  I did it in the hope it might help others to grasp the differences and thats involved in doing the conversion.  I am hoping to dispel some myths as to shapes and intake sizes as well along the way, just using facts and measurements.

great to have you along!

Cheers guys and an interesting fact whilst I was doing the paint wear on the cockpit sills is that there is Yellow Zinc Chromate paint under the US airframes as in the J(UK) and silver wear under the Spey ones (later on in their service life at least,that is).  They were probably yellow when delivered. though.  So mine will have silver showing under the wear and not yellow, just an FYI on my observation

Cheers Anthony

• Like 3

I have sprayed the sills black, silver, black/grey and slowly with a micromesh 6000 cloth buffed it back.  A little more on the left where the crew ingress and egress and where the ladders hook on.  I might later use my prisma silver pencil to put a few scratches where appropiate.

ncx7tR.jpg

WDTKpv.jpg

ULtx42.jpg

Back to working on the rear tub this weekend

Cheers Anthony

• Like 18

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

this way it's replicating the wear the original would have gone through

Agreed. A other example of the quality going in to this Anthony : the visual effect of your method in that penultimate photo speaks for itself. 👏

• Like 3

23 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

I like your efforts there Anyhony, usually as modellers we add the effects after painting the original colours and this way it's replicating the wear the original would have gone through.  Looks good fella.

Chris

Thanks Chris, I am trying to think how they wear in real life...

22 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Agreed. A other example of the quality going in to this Anthony : the visual effect of your method in that penultimate photo speaks for itself. 👏

Thanks Tony, I appreciate your comments, I am really struggling though

Cant believe the hours just gone into this today...talk about 50 shades of grey :whistle:

Still a lot to go in the rear pit, including some placards and a couple of stencils......tough to photograph at night.  Anyhoo, I am conquering my fears!

VgwELQ.jpg

DY0uXI.jpg

As you can see in this last photo there is still a lot to do with some more wear with the silver pencil/paint and washes.  I have just got to try not to overdo it

Thanks for looking in guys

Cheers Anthony

• Like 13

On 4/10/2022 at 9:59 PM, bigbadbadge said:

Some cracking details in the Tub Anthony,  looking very nice indeed.

Chris

Thanks Chris.....

Well as long as I am on here, I got some progress made last night.

Kerry's printed part arrived yesterday and I trimmed, painted and installed it.  Even the toggle switches printed!  Even more impressive is that I managed not to snap them off!

VE77Fn.jpg

Painted and glued in

dWjPG9.jpg

This sidewall has already been modified and extra cable added

The junction box on the right side was scratchbuilt, painted, yellow markings applied, weathered lightly and glued in.  Also of note is that the BB shelf it sits on was lowered too, ugh terrible photo's

QOh2ZF.jpg

And everything is waiting patiently to fit in the fuse....

2FuyM2.jpg

Bit of a rush unexpected update, scuse the terrible photos

Cheers Anthony

• Like 17

1 hour ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Kerry's printed part arrived yesterday and I trimmed, painted and installed it.  Even the toggle switches printed!  Even more impressive is that I managed not to snap them off!

Amazing detail Anthony (and Kerry!). And nicely painted and installed.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/13/2022 at 9:36 AM, Johnson said:

Amazing detail Anthony (and Kerry!). And nicely painted and installed.

Thanks Charlie....and Kerry!

Well progress has been slow with lots of ''stuff' getting in the way.

Rear tub is almost done, , lots of decals and washes added

AkZjse.jpg

And because I cant seem to make a decent panel for the left side...Kerry is helping me out, what a guy!

qQMuPf.jpg

Not much I'm afraid, but I thought I better post something or you would think it was on the SOD

Cheers Anthony

• Like 15

Stunning work with the cockpit Anthony! Really life-like. And those small add-ons look great.

There is one interesting detail about the floor boards. The grey paint is usually well worn revealing the YZC under coat. Some photos of British Phantoms show that the rear cockpit floor had wine red base coat instead of YZC. My theory is that a new (or non standard) floor panel was attached in planes with dual controls. Do you have more information about this?

Cheers,

Antti

7 hours ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Thanks Charlie....and Kerry!

Well progress has been slow with lots of ''stuff' getting in the way.

Rear tub is almost done, , lots of decals and washes added

AkZjse.jpg

And because I cant seem to make a decent panel for the left side...Kerry is helping me out, what a guy!

qQMuPf.jpg

Not much I'm afraid, but I thought I better post something or you would think it was on the SOD

Cheers Anthony

Wow!!! Would love to have those parts in 1/48. There's no correct FG.1 cockpit out there

Fantastic build!!! Sorry...PHANTASTIC build 🙂 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Johnson said:

Looks so good it should actually work, and the new panel looks the same. Incredible!

Thanks Charlie, its given me a few more grey hairs already!

15 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Wow, some lovely work there Anthony looks splendid.   The rear tub is certainly coming together well. The new panel looks rather nice too.

Great work  

Chris

Thanks Chris, time to start working on the front section of the rear tub after this

14 hours ago, Antti_K said:

Stunning work with the cockpit Anthony! Really life-like. And those small add-ons look great.

There is one interesting detail about the floor boards. The grey paint is usually well worn revealing the YZC under coat. Some photos of British Phantoms show that the rear cockpit floor had wine red base coat instead of YZC. My theory is that a new (or non standard) floor panel was attached in planes with dual controls. Do you have more information about this?

Cheers,

Antti

Thanks Antti!  Yes I have been playing around with colours and wear.  I dont know much about this, so very much figuring it out as I go.  I guess watch this space and see if I can make something realistic looking :hmmm:

12 hours ago, coneheadff said:

Wow!!! Would love to have those parts in 1/48. There's no correct FG.1 cockpit out there

Fantastic build!!! Sorry...PHANTASTIC build 🙂 

Thanks so very much!

Yes I have found the whole RN/RAF Phantom cockpits a bit of a mystery, but I think I have it figured in my head.  Well the FG.1 at least

Thanks for the comments and likes, means a lot and motivates me so much, I know Kerry enjoys seeing your responses, he's a talented chap and I never take our friendship for granted!

Ready to print he tells me

HZ9Ppg.jpg

Off to go and clear/flat coat the rear tub to seal up where I am at.

Cheers guys

Anthony

• Like 9

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 7/16/2022 at 12:27 AM, heloman1 said:

Hope you haven't stalled on this build Anthony?

Colin

Ummm yes I did. been a little distracted

Firstly hanks again for all your kind words after my crash etc...

Anyhoo, progress is progress no matter how teeeeny tiny it is?  This and the mounting base took me several hours.  Its Kerry's printed panel particular to the FG.1.  Fitted a couple of Airscale gauges and small stencils, and then matte clear and gloss instrument blobs.  Hopefully glue this unit into the rear tub tomorrow

xlQBF5.jpg

This thing is small and I have had to enlarge it a lot

Onwards and upwards eh

Cheers Anthony

• Like 11