1/32 Brit Phantom FG.1 XV571 conversion from Tamiya and Wild Hare set

Great to see you finally facing your fears Anthony.   Great photo enterpretation and now looking forward to the tubs progressing.  

I have finally started mine too and pleased that I have and not as bad as I thought !!!

Chris

• Like 1

Hi Anthony

You certainly have your work cut out working your way through the cockpits.

Some of the common mistakes I have noticed from other big builds are handles in wrong positions.

Like UC handle up with UC down, same with relative positions of deck hook, drag chute and canopy manual open and jettison handles.  Also throttle positions.

Are we going to be treated to aircrew or are you planning bare cockpits

Have you considered fibre optics to illuminate the cockpits and gauges and Nav and landing lights? I also looked at ways to make the canopies to be able open and close and putting a computer chip fan in the fuselage to make a reheat effect for the 1/48 kit that I have yet to start.  The trouble is I have been tempted by the dark side and purchases a couple of large boat and ship kits for when I can put my modelling head back on

• Like 1

On 3/19/2022 at 10:59 PM, bigbadbadge said:

Great to see you finally facing your fears Anthony.   Great photo enterpretation and now looking forward to the tubs progressing.  

I have finally started mine too and pleased that I have and not as bad as I thought !!!

Chris

Thanks Chris, I am still chipping away, but not much to see for now...most of it is still in my head LOL

Great news you have started your Phantom too!

On 3/19/2022 at 11:04 PM, Tony G said:

Hi Anthony

You certainly have your work cut out working your way through the cockpits.

Some of the common mistakes I have noticed from other big builds are handles in wrong positions.

Like UC handle up with UC down, same with relative positions of deck hook, drag chute and canopy manual open and jettison handles.  Also throttle positions.

Are we going to be treated to aircrew or are you planning bare cockpits

Have you considered fibre optics to illuminate the cockpits and gauges and Nav and landing lights? I also looked at ways to make the canopies to be able open and close and putting a computer chip fan in the fuselage to make a reheat effect for the 1/48 kit that I have yet to start.  The trouble is I have been tempted by the dark side and purchases a couple of large boat and ship kits for when I can put my modelling head back on

Aaaah they are all great things to look out for and I will do my best to keep them accurate..thanks!

Yes bare cockpits as I am really crap at painting pilots/crew.  They usually always end up looking like something Walt Disney would have done!

As for the fibre optics, I love the idea but is beyond my skills.  I will just be happy to finish the conversion.  If I went down that track it would never get finished, LOL

Thanks for your suggestions, I will definitely look out for those things and their positions!

Cheers guys

Anthony

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Great news you have started your Phantom too

Hi Anthony,  sorry for misleading you, I meant for my Sea Venom in 32nd scale. I do not a Phantom but only a 72nd scale Fujimi one.  

Way way down in the deep deep stash.

Chris

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Thanks Chris, I am still chipping away, but not much to see for now...most of it is still in my head LOL

Great news you have started your Phantom too!

Aaaah they are all great things to look out for and I will do my best to keep them accurate..thanks!

Yes bare cockpits as I am really crap at painting pilots/crew.  They usually always end up looking like something Walt Disney would have done!

As for the fibre optics, I love the idea but is beyond my skills.  I will just be happy to finish the conversion.  If I went down that track it would never get finished, LOL

Thanks for your suggestions, I will definitely look out for those things and their positions!

Cheers guys

Anthony

I was like you I thought fibre optics were complicated. How wrong I was.  After a couple of YouTube videos, it was obvious how simple.it is. It is easier than using lots of micro led’s. Two led’ can control all the lighting, one for flashing and the other for constant. I purchased some rechargeable under counter lights with a remote control and some fibre optic filaments (some as thin as hair and others that light glows through). When the purchased lights were dismantled the contents can fit inside the drop tanks that can be attached with magnets, so it can be removed to charge the battery. Then it is just a case of threading the fibres where you want them and colour the ends if required.

• Like 1

Hello Anthony,

stunning work with the NLG bay! I think there is no need for further detailing as all those extra pipes, leads and hoses would actually hide the fact that you've done excellent work detailing the area.

I ended up with the same solution with that panel under the nose. Finally I added a piece of Plasticard and only then I was able to move forward.

Already waiting for a report about the cockpits😉

Cheers,

Antti

• Like 1

Continually amazed at the sheer volume of visual observations on display here Anthony. Like seeing a master clock maker at work in terms of piecing it all together.

• Like 1

I'd love to do an RAF Spey engined Phanotom in this scale so I don't know why I haven't looked in this thread before because it's a lovely model and you're making great progress.

I'm currently making an F-4J(UK) and used a borrowed Black Box cockpit as inspiration for making my own scratch built additions to the kit parts enhanced by using the Eduard Interior etch and Brassin Seats.

On thing I read about the phantom was the rear bulkhead was vertical and most kits represent this sloped. I decided to make this modification myself as seen in the pics below.

51955300935_0ec4bb3ed3_c.jpg

F-4JUK 001 by Mark Maclean, on Flickr

51954777173_9f0fb6951d_c.jpg

F-4JUK 002 by Mark Maclean, on Flickr

On one hand, it gives you an extra 5mm of cockpit to detail

51953719672_a205f5d222_c.jpg

F-4JUK 006 by Mark Maclean, on Flickr

On the other hand, when you put the seats in, the work is not that noticable.

51953719742_376a3fa524_c.jpg

F-4JUK 005 by Mark Maclean, on Flickr

Hopefully you'll find this info useful.

I really need to do a WIP on this one I think.

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 4

On 3/22/2022 at 2:17 AM, Tony G said:

I was like you I thought fibre optics were complicated. How wrong I was.  After a couple of YouTube videos, it was obvious how simple.it is. It is easier than using lots of micro led’s. Two led’ can control all the lighting, one for flashing and the other for constant. I purchased some rechargeable under counter lights with a remote control and some fibre optic filaments (some as thin as hair and others that light glows through). When the purchased lights were dismantled the contents can fit inside the drop tanks that can be attached with magnets, so it can be removed to charge the battery. Then it is just a case of threading the fibres where you want them and colour the ends if required.

Well maybe it is something I could look into, I am not sure much of the cockpit would be lit without crew as well as strobes or wingtip lamps?  Would look very cool though!

On 3/22/2022 at 2:53 AM, Antti_K said:

Hello Anthony,

stunning work with the NLG bay! I think there is no need for further detailing as all those extra pipes, leads and hoses would actually hide the fact that you've done excellent work detailing the area.

I ended up with the same solution with that panel under the nose. Finally I added a piece of Plasticard and only then I was able to move forward.

Already waiting for a report about the cockpits😉

Cheers,

Antti

Thanks Antti, appreciate your thoughts on where to stop detailing stuff and overdoing it.  Tough call.

I have started a little report on the rear cockpit from my limited knowledge and help from guys here.  I will report some more when I have more to show.  Thanks for keeping an eye on me mate!

On 3/22/2022 at 10:22 AM, TheBaron said:

Continually amazed at the sheer volume of visual observations on display here Anthony. Like seeing a master clock maker at work in terms of piecing it all together.

Well I dont know about that mate, its all just trickery in the photography LOL.  But thank you for the nice comments, especially coming from a modeler the caliber of you! Thanks

On 3/23/2022 at 7:20 AM, FZ6 said:

I'd love to do an RAF Spey engined Phanotom in this scale so I don't know why I haven't looked in this thread before because it's a lovely model and you're making great progress.

I'm currently making an F-4J(UK) and used a borrowed Black Box cockpit as inspiration for making my own scratch built additions to the kit parts enhanced by using the Eduard Interior etch and Brassin Seats.

On thing I read about the phantom was the rear bulkhead was vertical and most kits represent this sloped. I decided to make this modification myself as seen in the pics below.

51955300935_0ec4bb3ed3_c.jpg

F-4JUK 001 by Mark Maclean, on Flickr

51954777173_9f0fb6951d_c.jpg

F-4JUK 002 by Mark Maclean, on Flickr

On one hand, it gives you an extra 5mm of cockpit to detail

51953719672_a205f5d222_c.jpg

F-4JUK 006 by Mark Maclean, on Flickr

On the other hand, when you put the seats in, the work is not that noticable.

51953719742_376a3fa524_c.jpg

F-4JUK 005 by Mark Maclean, on Flickr

Hopefully you'll find this info useful.

I really need to do a WIP on this one I think.

Cheers,

Mark

Hi Mark, now thats how you do it!  Beautiful clean work my friend!  YES you really MUST put a WIP up, I need all the help I can get with this Tamiya kit.

I know I realize the rear bulkhead was vertical, and I anguished over changing it...you are a better man than I.  Looks great!    Thanks for dropping in.

Cheers guys

Anthony 

• Like 3

This I felt was worth a separate post

A parcel arrived last night from Rick  @Spooky56 of some parts needed for my build.  Thanks mate!

Inside there were some gorgeous RAF Phantom ladders printed in 1/32 from John @xvtonker I have snapped a pic of what they look like on my Phantom and think they look amazing dont you?  These are (well the rear one) is designed for the Spey Toom and although he did them in 1/48 he kindly scaled them up to 1/32 for me....you're a legend mate and I will be forever grateful.  Included are 2 types of front one as there was a different version made that was often seen in RAFG ans also on the mainland UK and he has done the US version of the front.

They are absolutely sublime and highly recommended to anyone building an RAF Spey Toom in 1/48 (or 1/32 if making available).  Honestly I am speechless as they really are that good!

I was pretty nervous placing the rear one on as these were measured off real ones with the help again of the BPAG.  Anyway, what a relief as it sits perfectly from all angles compared to photos.  Looks like it was made exactly for my model.  This also confirmed all the effort going to get the intake the right length, width and shape has paid off!  PHEW!

Thank you John and Rick, also @Ali62i for the Brass u/c for the Revell kit he does.  I am going to see if it can be used with the Tamiya kit as they are far more accurate.

Anyway here is a pic

NRW0su.jpg

Nice aye....

Edited by Anthony in NZ
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Hi Mark, now thats how you do it!  Beautiful clean work my friend!  YES you really MUST put a WIP up, I need all the help I can get with this Tamiya kit.

I know I realize the rear bulkhead was vertical, and I anguished over changing it...you are a better man than I.  Looks great!    Thanks for dropping in.

Hi Anthony,

Happy to put up a WIP as it's been my intention to do this for a while now. Will let you know when I have this up and running.

Don't worry about not doing the vertical bulkhead. It's a lot of effort for little gain. As you can see from my pics, even when done, it's hardly noticable once the seat is in.

Cheers,
Mark

• Like 2

On 3/26/2022 at 9:43 AM, bigbadbadge said:

They do look wonderful Anthony, and it's good to see all your hard work has paid off.

Chris

Thanks Chris....hard work, fluke or accidental????  The main thing is they confirm my work!

10 hours ago, FZ6 said:

Hi Anthony,

Happy to put up a WIP as it's been my intention to do this for a while now. Will let you know when I have this up and running.

Don't worry about not doing the vertical bulkhead. It's a lot of effort for little gain. As you can see from my pics, even when done, it's hardly noticable once the seat is in.

Cheers,
Mark

That would be great Mark and if I can do anything to help you out with your project then please ask!  Thanks for the reassurance of the rear bulkhead too.  I noticed there were a few Brit Spey Toom oddities carried over to the 'J' 

I think your build is going to do wonders for me!

Cheers Anthony

• Like 2

Those ladders really will add another layer of realism to this Anthony. Even unpainted in that final shot the aircraft leaps from the screen with them on.

• Like 1

On 3/27/2022 at 11:18 PM, heloman1 said:

Those access ladders are exceptionally well detailed, I see the steps have the tread pattern on them! Wow!

Colin

Yes aren't they nice!  There are some people with some skills around here aren't there?

23 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Those ladders really will add another layer of realism to this Anthony. Even unpainted in that final shot the aircraft leaps from the screen with them on.

Yes as soon as I dropped them on I thought the same 'wow'  so appreciative to have them.

I will do a proper update later in the week as things a moving along nicely.  A big help was Kerry did this unit here for me that sits on the left rear sidewall(in the blue circle on the prev page).  This was a big help as I just could not get such a simple thing looking nice...thanks buddy, this is a true collaboration!

cUz0pN.jpg

aAaiwT.jpg

Cheers guys

Anthony

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Anthony in NZ said:

A big help was Kerry did this unit here for me that sits on the left rear sidewall(in the blue circle on the prev page)

That's quite something Anthony.

Er... is that the real thing (@ 1/32) or a graphic? Sorry - I'm losing track of reality! :hypnotised:

On 3/29/2022 at 10:12 AM, Johnson said:

That's quite something Anthony.

Er... is that the real thing (@ 1/32) or a graphic? Sorry - I'm losing track of reality! :hypnotised:

LOL, it's the CAD rendering/Graphic.

Starting with painting the rear cockpit hopefully tonight or tomorrow 

• Like 2

Well I thought I should update Ya'all as I have been a bit quiet with updates.  The truth is I havent done a lot as I have mostly been studying the rear cockpit of a late mod RAF FG.1.  As you can imagine these gals got lots of mods and upgrades over their service life.  And I want her to be as correct as practical now I have gone this deep into getting it accurate.

So with some bits of the B Box cockpit removed from the 'tub' and sidewall, I needed to replace some missing wires.  I have also test fitted and trimmed it to fit the fuselage and added a couple of details on the rear fairing face.  probably the best thing to show at this point is the paint going on the resin.

Now...as you know I hate doing cockpits and this aint going to be any Michelangelo that's for sure.  I am going to try some new things and base it on some of my old methods.  lets see what happens I guess!

I like black basing as it gives me a variation in tone that to me looks pleasing to the eye.  Much like I did on my wheel wells I guess.  So I laid the black down with Mr Color semi-gloss black and now I am building up the grey tones with Mr Color #11 'Light Gull grey'  As you can see it still looks quite dark, but I am far from finished.  I have a few things to glue in now,  then can continue building the grey  tones.  I have been reading loads of articles and studying what you guys have been doing here.  Anyway, here are some pics, remember it's still a bit dark at this stage as the accents etc aren't added yet.

bNqCvp.jpg

You cant really see the tonal variations under artificial light but it's there, remembering this is the base

bsMbI9.jpg

DEOUKw.jpg

J6OWvF.jpg

Still a looooong way to go yet, but I thought I should prove I am actually doing something....

Cheers Anthony

• Like 13

Just now, Anthony in NZ said:

Dont they look lovely, that B Box/Avionics resin pit is really nice.  I really only have to do it justice with paint

I am sure you will seeing your painting o  the undercarriage bays.

Chris

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tony G said:

Well it does not look like you have been skiving off to me

There is only one word needed  to descibe your work   AMAZING

Well done Anthony

I cant take the credit for the detail as that's the resin cockpit set I have used. I am just trying to modify and paint it to do it justice!

Thanks all the same I love having your feedback!

• Like 1