1/32 Brit Phantom FG.1 XV571 conversion from Tamiya and Wild Hare set

On 2/27/2022 at 6:03 AM, Johnson said:

Looking forward to it!

Wonderful work so far, and (I think I've said this before) an excellent reference for all Phantom builders. The input from those who really know is invaluable.

Thanks Charlie! The input from guys here makes the world of difference

This week has been another slow one with not feeling well, got Covid tested and didnt have it...just crook.  But I did manage to get some done on the NLG bay.  I must say, there are sooooo many variations on this area it's not funny.  The Brit Tooms are slightly different to their short nosed counterparts from the US.  I will just do the best I can to represent what I see.

There has been a lot go in this week with rivets, tubes, base plumbing, more structure etc.  It still looks grey as I dont want it too stark as I build up the plumbing layers.

Anyhoo, on to some pics......

Hrzf4B.jpg

20QZWM.jpg

That tube you can see is where the wiring comes out and runs along to the u/c door and then into the door for the lamp. Seems so far away

And the shape of this panel had to change to this shape instead of perfectly square.  This was a bear to do and took longer than I thought.  I thought 'Meh' simple job, wrong!  Because I had to scribe across a bunch rivet holes my panel lines were a mess and I had to redo it multiple times.  My advice at the end of that episode....cut the panel line with a etch razor saw. Yup, you heard it here first!  Or dont bother at all because only about 20 people on the planet know its wrong

h4ppvn.jpg

I think that this area should look quite interesting in the end as there are lots of placards to do in, @airscale  placards are awesome and I use them a lot.  There will be a lot in the NLG bay too.  There is a big red panel/cover to also go in with with writing on it, I am hoping it will come up nice, we'll see I guess

Thanks for tuning in as always, the way my head was this week and the problematic panel in front of the nose bay almost had me put it on the SOD....But it was you guys here, and not wanting to disappoint you all that made me carry on.  I know lots of you want me to forge on, so thanks!

Cheers Anthony

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Hi Anthony.

Not much to say for me her, just can´t find enough words. I really enjoy this build report with all the scratch work and details you give to your Phantom. Looking forward to next steps...

Cheers

Daniel

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Or dont bother at all because only about 20 people on the planet know its wrong

The trouble is, you’re one of the 20 so it would always bug you.  I share your pain (see Sea King rivets for evidence!)

Fabulous work; so clean and neat, and utterly convincing.  Brilliant, and we’re loving every minute of it!

• Like 6

Hi Anthony

With the nose bay do what you feel comfortable with. Let’s face it when completed if anybody picked up the model to look at the underside it would probably be the last thing they ever did.  There is so much going on in the nose wheel bay you could be there for the next 6 months and still want to do more.

Just for info have you added the vent on the Lox Bay panel aft of nose wheel bay or is it part of the kit.  the shape is correct, but the vent sits flush it does not protrude.

All the best and Fantastic work as usual

spacer.png

Edited by Tony G
image added
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, _alfisti_ said:

Hi Anthony.

Not much to say for me her, just can´t find enough words. I really enjoy this build report with all the scratch work and details you give to your Phantom. Looking forward to next steps...

Cheers

Daniel

Thanks Daniel!  No need to say much, just glad you're enjoying it!

10 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Your work on the bay and the altering of the Panel is exemplary and looks the business and with the tiny tube for the wiring, brilliant stuff Anthony,  hope you are feeling better.

Chris

Thanks Chris, I always appreciate your feedback buddy.  Still feeling a bit average after this flu or whatever.  Everyone around me is getting Covid or has someone they know with it, so I am hoping I dont just get through this and then get it...but I will just stay positive!

10 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

The trouble is, you’re one of the 20 so it would always bug you.  I share your pain (see Sea King rivets for evidence!)

Fabulous work; so clean and neat, and utterly convincing.  Brilliant, and we’re loving every minute of it!

LOL true!  Thanks for your nice comments. 

Aaaah your SeaKing, I remember that, I must go back for another look as I was really enjoying it.

10 hours ago, 621Andy said:

Don't give up now😲 I've said it before but this is going to be the reference model by which all other Tooms will be judged; it is absolutely stunning!

Awww thanks again, I wont give up, its guys like you that make me press on to the end! Appreciate having you along

10 hours ago, Tony G said:

Hi Anthony

With the nose bay do what you feel comfortable with. Let’s face it when completed if anybody picked up the model to look at the underside it would probably be the last thing they ever did.  There is so much going on in the nose wheel bay you could be there for the next 6 months and still want to do more.

Just for info have you added the vent on the Lox Bay panel aft of nose wheel bay or is it part of the kit.  the shape is correct, but the vent sits flush it does not protrude.

All the best and Fantastic work as usual

spacer.png

Sage advice on the NLG bay, I will just do enough to make it look suitably busy, or as you say, I will still be there in 6 months!

Aaaah thanks for the 'find' on the Lox bay panel vent, hadnt noticed yet that it was flush!  I still have a reasonable amount of work to do on the belly so I will write that on my list of jobs to do...thank you!!  

Cheers guys as always.  Hopefully more plumbing today before work tomorrow

Anthony

• Like 5

On 3/5/2022 at 7:12 AM, Anthony in NZ said:

But it was you guys here, and not wanting to disappoint you all that made me carry on

I just hope you're enjoying this half as much as we are! More wonderful exemplary work in the bay and the panel rescribe - would never have guessed it had been! Great work.

On 3/5/2022 at 9:50 AM, Tony G said:

Just for info have you added the vent on the Lox Bay panel aft of nose wheel bay

So that's what it is.

I'm learning lots about Phantoms here, and in my own rather smaller 1/72 build. It's good to know what these details really are, and what they did. Thanks Tony.

Edited by Johnson
exemplary, not exploratory! 'twas the spell checker!
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/7/2022 at 7:20 AM, bigbadbadge said:

Looks very impressive Anthony.  Looking forward to seeing the placards in place.

Great job.

Chris

hey Chris...your wish is my command!

On 3/8/2022 at 1:39 AM, Johnson said:

I just hope you're enjoying this half as much as we are! More wonderful exemplary work in the bay and the panel rescribe - would never have guessed it had been! Great work.

So that's what it is.

I'm learning lots about Phantoms here, and in my own rather smaller 1/72 build. It's good to know what these details really are, and what they did. Thanks Tony.

I am learning a lot too!  Thanks from me also Tony

So this weeks big push was to get the nosewheel well finished so I can move onto the dreaded cockpit area!  This will be the part that makes or breaks this build....did I mention I hate cockpits??? LOL

Just sealed everything up this arvo with a clearcoat, hope you guys like it, I'm calling it done

Left wall

CAR9GI.jpg

Right side

waDpjU.jpg

Down through the centre

VHNMV3.jpg

Overall effect

1jkwYN.jpg

And here is a side by side comparison of before and after

jshM6O.jpg

Just enough to busy it up and not waste my entire life on an area no one will ever notice

Thanks again chaps, your encouragement sure means a lot...I'm getting there!

Cheers 

Anthony

• Like 18

11 minutes ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Just enough to busy it up and not waste my entire life on an area no one will ever notice

We all noticed, and we give it 👍

• Like 1

Excellent result on hhe U/C bays, that looks fantastic Anthony, really great work.  I a  very impressed.   I am struggling to get onto the cockpit of my Sea Venom at the moment so understand how you are feeling, and have been doing other bits to avoid doing it too😉

Good luck with your cockpit work fella. 

Phenomenal work as always

Chris

• Like 1

Morning Anthony (it is for me)

All looks pretty fantastic; the level of detail is just right anymore more would just be lost and would also tax my memory to know if it was correct anyway.  Good luck with the cockpit. I have uploaded a folder of cockpit / seat images in my One drive (Anthony NZ) that you have access too in case they could be of any use. Also, the Aircraft Topic 15 Aircrew Manual you have has some good cockpit detail.  If I can help with anything please just ask.

Keep up the great work

All The Best Tony G

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mark.au said:

We all noticed, and we give it 👍

Thanks Mark....appreciate it buddy!

9 hours ago, Johnson said:

The

Is excellent - from all angles!

Thanks, I'm quite pleased with it too, cheers

8 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

Cor! I continue to be blown away by your attention to detail. Surprised you’re not cross eyed by now.

Trevor

LOL thanks Tervor.....I think I will be at the end!

8 hours ago, (ex)Sgtrafman said:

Looking very very nice!

I love your attention to detail 👍

Iain

Appreciate your feedback Iain, Tis been a longer road than I imagined, but still enjoying it

8 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Excellent result on hhe U/C bays, that looks fantastic Anthony, really great work.  I a  very impressed.   I am struggling to get onto the cockpit of my Sea Venom at the moment so understand how you are feeling, and have been doing other bits to avoid doing it too😉

Good luck with your cockpit work fella. 

Phenomenal work as always

Chris

Thanks Chris!  All the best with your cockpit too...you have my sympathies! 

8 hours ago, Tony G said:

Morning Anthony (it is for me)

All looks pretty fantastic; the level of detail is just right anymore more would just be lost and would also tax my memory to know if it was correct anyway.  Good luck with the cockpit. I have uploaded a folder of cockpit / seat images in my One drive (Anthony NZ) that you have access too in case they could be of any use. Also, the Aircraft Topic 15 Aircrew Manual you have has some good cockpit detail.  If I can help with anything please just ask.

Keep up the great work

All The Best Tony G

Morning Tony (It is for me here now too)

LOL dont look too hard, I'm sure you will find stuff missing.   Thanks for your support, and thanks for the new folder, your images have been immensely helpful, as have you!  Really appreciate having an ex Toom turner along!

Thank you all for your support!  I'm not sure the coming week will show much as I will be doing test fitting and studying for the cockpit

Cheers Anthony

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi Anthony,

I'm late to the party (as usual) but that gave me reason to spend a very enjoyable few minutes going through your post!

I am very impressed with your skill and attention to detail along with how neat and tidy your work is. I am well and truly on board and looking forward to your continued posts.....many thanks for sharing!

Cheers,

Kevin

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Porsche said:

Hi Anthony,

I'm late to the party (as usual) but that gave me reason to spend a very enjoyable few minutes going through your post!

I am very impressed with your skill and attention to detail along with how neat and tidy your work is. I am well and truly on board and looking forward to your continued posts.....many thanks for sharing!

Cheers,

Kevin

Thanks Kevin, and nice to have you along!  I'm glad you are enjoying it, as am I.  As you can see it's not a quick build anymore, so you better pull up a chair!

Thanks again, Anthony

Ok a bit of an update as the cockpits on Brit Tooms are simple yet different/complicated!  I will explain.

I have read on many forums the similarities to the Brit Toom cockpits being a mix of F-4B, J and C.  I have spent most of the week studying this (as well as previous weeks) and I am only going to focus on the FG.1 as the FGR.2 is a whole other beast in the cockpit department.

Rear cockpit first:

I have to say a huge thank you to the BAPG and @Tony G  for their recent photo's.  PBAG took some awesome pics of the back of XV582 (Black Mike FG.1), coupled with manuals available for free download on their FB page.  These guys are awesome, along with  the people on there, please support them and their bids to preserve several ex RAF Phantoms!

Essentially the rear cockpit best matches a 'J' see some pics here courtesy of PBAG inside XV582

Essentially the rear cockpit best matches a 'J' see some pics here courtesy of PBAG inside XV582

Right rear sidewall, with quilting removed, practically identical to 'J'

8dZSqZ.jpg

Left rear sidewall, , this is where things get different

hRIip9.jpg

TNrwQU.jpg

So the back end is pretty much 'J' from all the studies I have done (I am in no way purposing to be an expert, these are just my simple findings  for us modellers)

Now look at the front half

Sxp9Zt.jpg

I will do my best to explain in my simple terms....

Yellow circle is where a TESS Periscope goes through (more on that another day)

Green circle is some sort of Accumulator box not seen on 'J's

Blue circle is what is an AN/AJB7 & GVR10 Ground test switch/panel (whatever that all means LOL)

Red circle is Oxygen controls, cabin altimeter, TACAN &V/UHF control panel (missing)

So these seem to be the major differences for an RAF operated FG.1 post Mod's 408a &b.  A RN operated one was very slightly different.

As I say, I am no Phantom expert but am sharing what I am learning as I go in the hope it will be useful to future modellers

On to the kit next update....

• Like 6

So now what are we dealing with as regards cockpits, converting them and where to start??

Top to bottom

Black Box/Avionix rear cockpit tub

Aires F-4J/S cockpit set

Kit parts in basic form

nWxRVv.jpg

My first issue is the Aires and Kit parts on the left side as the right and rear are practically the same.

The wall/shelf that all of this equipment sit on is far too high, look how much lower the B Box one is (by the way, the detail on this is superb), this is correct essentially for a 'J' but not a Brit Toom, there is a whole panel in the 'J' here that is non existent in the FG.1

So I cut the forward shelf piece down by about 1/3 to what seems the correct height and found a piece out of my spares box that will make a good start for my Accumulator (or whatever it is) box

xw9JTs.jpg

TRWKh1.jpg

You can just see at the top of this pic that I have removed another control panel that was on the sidewall and blended it in to look like the lining.  A couple of wires yet to add.

Finally the right side is pretty much as per the kit and resin sets

o1SDxQ.jpg

Phew....

Now I just thought I should post my findings as I go so I dont look back and wonder what I did.

Cheers Anthony

• Like 10

28 minutes ago, mark.au said:

Based on the foregoing I am now anticipating that you will build each gauge and switch individually.  And make them function.  Accurately.

LOL, no, thankfully Jeff who mastered the Black Box set has saved me a LOT of work!

Edited by Anthony in NZ
  • Haha 1