1/32 Brit Phantom FG.1 XV571 conversion from Tamiya and Wild Hare set

On 1/3/2022 at 10:57 PM, Antti_K said:

Of course the air brake needs some TLC also. I'll try to find a photo showing how I did it.

Thanks Antti. I'm working on a Fine Molds F-4D in this area and these photos and posts are really useful. Though at 1/72 my challenges are slightly less than those facing Anthony!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/6/2022 at 1:45 AM, Johnson said:

Thanks Antti. I'm working on a Fine Molds F-4D in this area and these photos and posts are really useful. Though at 1/72 my challenges are slightly less than those facing Anthony!

I should have gone 48th Charlie.....:hypnotised:

On 1/6/2022 at 6:24 AM, bigbadbadge said:

Hi Anthony 

U/C leg and bay modifications look good fella.  With all that detail in the bays they are going to look phenomenal. 

Chris

Thanks Chris, it's a slow pace forward now I am back at work...

Being back at work progress has slowed.  Although to be fair, this bit is tedious.  So I am building up the rib structure in the wheel wells ready for plumbing.  All the rear face is done, the ends and just the front face to go. These ribs take ages.

RtGO0G.jpg

Mounting ring for the undercarriage legs marked out and positioned.  More on that later...

Upper wing test fitting, seems to all interlock well

4qmJlp.jpg

wlVekj.jpg

Needed a change of pace so fixed the size and shape of the bulge above the U/C pintle

SftPxh.jpg

There is still a lot of corrections and details to add to the upper surface, but I better get back to this lower wing before I get to that.  But it was a nice change of scenery!

As always chaps, thanks for tuning in

Anthony

• Like 14

2 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

The UC Bay is coming on well and looks fantastic so far very neat work on that and the bulge too, great job Anthony. 

Chris

Thanks as always Chris, your comments always encourage me to keep going on such a long winded conversion

• Like 1

Looking good Anthony, I do like all the added strengthening patches, they must play havoc with the airflow but then when all the armament is also added then it's a flying brick!

I'm doing something similar with my H-34 elsewhere on BM (A Frog in the desert).

Colin

• Like 1

Great work as usual Anthony. The UC bays are starting to come together very nicely, cannot wait to see what you do for the plumbing in the bays.

Please could you have a word with your work and explain that there are great many people around the world following your build and it is unacceptable that your progress is being slowed because you have to work.  Could you suggest that you have paid furlough until the toom is finished in the interests of global goodwill.

Keep up the great work all the best

• Haha 5

32 minutes ago, Tony G said:

Please could you have a word with your work and explain that there are great many people around the world following your build and it is unacceptable that your progress is being slowed because you have to work.  Could you suggest that you have paid furlough until the toom is finished in the interests of global goodwill.

That is a great suggestion, and I fully endorse the idea. Mak it so Number One.

Anthony, the gear bay looks great and I know you have just started. Some people have attention to detail but you have ATTENTION to detail. Fantastic!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CJP said:

Nice work mate - everything's looking great

CJP

Thanks so much!  Getting there

9 hours ago, heloman1 said:

Looking good Anthony, I do like all the added strengthening patches, they must play havoc with the airflow but then when all the armament is also added then it's a flying brick!

I'm doing something similar with my H-34 elsewhere on BM (A Frog in the desert).

Colin

Colin, thanks buddy!  Oh, how did I miss that, I LOVE helicopters...I better go find it and take a look!  Thanks for the heads up!

9 hours ago, Tony G said:

Great work as usual Anthony. The UC bays are starting to come together very nicely, cannot wait to see what you do for the plumbing in the bays.

Keep up the great work all the best

Hahahahah....Ahhh Tony, you make me laugh buddy!

Great idea and I am all for it.  We have lots of Omicron at the border and none in the community (yet).  The govt are talking potential lock downs again until more are booster jabbed.  So it ever there might be a silver lining :hmmm:

8 hours ago, DonH said:

That is a great suggestion, and I fully endorse the idea. Mak it so Number One.

Anthony, the gear bay looks great and I know you have just started. Some people have attention to detail but you have ATTENTION to detail. Fantastic!

I shall do my best to make it so......LOL

ATTENTION to detail might be my downfall if I am not careful!

Thanks guys, appreciate your feedback immensely!  This turned into a bigger challenge than I thought it might be.  But much of that is my own doing.  I dont really need to rebuild the wheel wells, or aux air intake lower door interiors, and no one will probably ever notice the lower nose contour, but I am enjoying it too much not to get it right now.

Watch out soon as our own awesome @Gene K  has just finished making up the outer wing stiffening plates that were so prominent on the lower wing sections.  I cant wait to show you his work...thank you sir, I am indebted for your research and skills to produce a 'late mod' outer wing  panel structural set that was on the Brit Tooms!

Going to BBQ up a bacon and egg breakfast for the family as its a stunning morning here.  Just as long as I dont set myself on fire like I did once before LOL

Cheers guys

Anthony

• Like 3

Anthony, eggs and bacon on the barbie, how on earth do you get eggs to stay one the gridle bars? I can set fire to myself too, so you aren't alone!

We are off to Kgalagadi Trans Frontier Park again next month. Loading up our Jurgens Adventure trailer for the 1000k journey up there. Twelve days of sun, sand and wild animals. I'll be using wild hardwood for the fire.

Sorry to digress.

Colin

• Like 1

On 1/16/2022 at 8:58 PM, heloman1 said:

Anthony, eggs and bacon on the barbie, how on earth do you get eggs to stay one the gridle bars? I can set fire to myself too, so you aren't alone!

We are off to Kgalagadi Trans Frontier Park again next month. Loading up our Jurgens Adventure trailer for the 1000k journey up there. Twelve days of sun, sand and wild animals. I'll be using wild hardwood for the fire.

Sorry to digress.

Colin

LOL, it's an art mate!  Have fun away buddy, and be safe.  In the meantime, get back to that Wessex LOL

On 1/16/2022 at 9:27 PM, ivan-o said:

Well thank you for an enjoyable hour or so reading through this truly EPIC build👌

Thank you very much.  It's my pleasure.  

On 1/16/2022 at 11:41 PM, mark.au said:

Where’s the incredulous emoji?

:shocked:

On 1/17/2022 at 12:02 AM, Bertie Psmith said:

I'm impressed by your persistence. I could never stay this interested of this long in a model, or anything really!

Thanks Bertie, it's a struggle for me at time too.  But my 'Pig headedness' really wants this done!

Wheel well structures are done and I sprayed Mr Surfacer on them last night.  In the meantime Kerry has helped me out with a tricky piece

He was going to make me thread the wire myself!

n8qlEB.jpg

@Gene K has been busy too!

aaQ8Ak.jpg

slEdST.jpg

9esZHV.jpg

gLVhnM.jpg

Gene has been working really hard on these.  He has been extensively using photos and factory drawings to achieve this.  This is the final incarnation of the lower outer wing strengthening mods as used on Brit Tooms.  There is a whole development/history on these when you dig deeper.  Thanks Gene, I am indebted to your help and expertise.

I will update the wheel wells progress on the weekend.  Getting close to plumbing them

Cheers Anthony

• Like 15

18 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Those parts look wonderful Anthony, Gene is a very talented person, what is the wiggly wire part for, sorry if obvious, but I am a bit thick and do  not know🤪

Chris

Thanks Chris, yes Gene and Kerry are very talented arent they, I am blessed to count them as friends.

Someone asked on LSP ages ago if I was going to put this part in on  (I wasn't sure anyone would notice if I just scribed a rectangle and rebated it in the early days of the build), so I hesitantly said "Yes of course I am :shutup:

It was pointed out by @Derek Bradshaw I think that it has something to do with a warning that if it burns through it lets the crew know there is a fire(?) in the tail?

See in the image below, it is in the 'hot area' titanium panels right at the rear edge of the reheat can lip

b1VmQy.jpg

Cheers

Anthony

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Is that the fire wire for the exhaust fairings, it looks perfect right down to the firewire clips.  I never realised how many repair / strengthening plates the older life Phantoms had, by the time the navy retired the tooms they had not fatigued so much. 

Mind you the RAF break all their toys.

I am running out of words to discribe your talent

I think I need a holiday in the sun to get over the depression being caused by my lack of talent compared to yours, well that’s my excuse! Keep it up Anthony

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

what is the wiggly wire part for, sorry if obvious, but I am a bit thick and do  not know🤪

No you're not, I was going to ask the same question and I'm a geneus er... geneous or maybe genius! :hypnotised:

Now we know. Luckily it's hidden by the longer cans on US Phantoms, and a bit tiny for 1/72.

Another question... I've wondered about this for a long time, what are the little white things on the inside of the canopy in the photo of the FG.1 XV581 in Anthony's post above?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Johnson said:

No you're not, I was going to ask the same question and I'm a geneus er... geneous or maybe genius! :hypnotised:

Now we know. Luckily it's hidden by the longer cans on US Phantoms, and a bit tiny for 1/72.

Another question... I've wondered about this for a long time, what are the little white things on the inside of the canopy in the photo of the FG.1 XV581 in Anthony's post above?

Did you mean these white cards, they are standby compass calibration and correction cards that slip into a holder

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Tony G said:

they are standby compass calibration and correction cards that slip into a holder

Thanks Tony, I thought they might be something like that.

• Like 1