1/32 Brit Phantom FG.1 XV571 conversion from Tamiya and Wild Hare set

Nice photo Tony! And an interesting one too.

Are we looking at a Phantom that has been partly re-painted? And is it possible that the rear fuselage still carries original paint? As you may know, quite many modellers say that the US paint was more greyish and lighter than EDSG.

Cheers,

Antti

10 minutes ago, Antti_K said:

Nice photo Tony! And an interesting one too.

Are we looking at a Phantom that has been partly re-painted? And is it possible that the rear fuselage still carries original paint? As you may know, quite many modellers say that the US paint was more greyish and lighter than EDSG.

Cheers,

Antti

I am not sure where and when that photo was taken but the colour looks to dark. The true colour was lighter with a hint of blue.  This image is a closer colour.

They often looked darker after being wiped over with WD40

spacer.png

• Like 5

WD40, does it give a surface that feels like it was waxed? A surface that was easy to clean (especially to remove exhaust stains). When I served with the Air Patrol Squadron (Finnish Border Guard) our ground crew used some "oily" chemical on the tailbooms of our AS332 Super Puma helicopters. And after that they could just wipe the surface clean with a dry cloth.

Cheers,

Antti

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, canberra kid said:

Hi @Anthony in NZ is this image of use? 

qYVPNY.jpg

John

Hi Anthony

I was racking my limited brain cells trying to remember the power plant publication but thanks to Canberra kids page I can see it.  In the FaceBook BPAG files section you will find AP-101B-0900-1H Propulsion System Manual. The 1H is there in 9 parts, that you can download with a wealth of info and images.

Well done Canberra Kid

Edited by Tony G
  • Like 1

WD 40 was the wonder oil, we used it after compressor washes on the Gnome engined Wessex 5's. For the fuselage, after a weekly Navvie wash, we used hydraulic fluid, which gave the cabs a sheen. Most muck came from the main rotorhead after a complete re-grease.

The EDSG, definitely had a bluish tinge to it but that could have been a rear sunny day! Humbrol EDSG, is ok for 72nd scale, I'm not so sure about 32nd!

Colin

• Like 4

Hi Anthony just noticed an age related cock up.

My image of the Spey is the wrong side and where I said the starter is, that is the CSDU constant speed drive unit attachment point. This image shows the correct place for the starter.

Just off  to thrash myself with some barbed wire

spacer.png

Edited by Tony G
  • Like 2

@Tony G @Antti_K @canberra kid @heloman1

You guys are awesome!  The information you're presenting is gold!  Finally the interiors of the Aux air doors is starting to make sense.  I have also trawled through the files on BPAG and with what images and explanations of how things fit from you guys is brilliant!

Somehow I never saw that image you posted John...so thank you buddy!  Now its figuring out how to make it all.  I have started going through my spares box to see if I can utilize anything.

Of course I cant sit still whilst researching and pondering this area and have started reworking the wheel wells.  I am not sure where I am going with this just yet, but I felt they needed re-doing.  I will post pics later on when I have a little bit more to show and when I know what I am doing myself...

Cheers to all of you guys now and earlier, you have been amazing  in 2021

Anthony

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

As I mentioned in my earlier post I decided to move onto the wheel wells and undercarriage

I decided that The way Tamiya have us mount the main gear is quite fictional.  So after pouring over photos I decided it was worth upgrading them (whilst I sort these Aux door  interiors out.  Mostly in my head)

I wont go into too much detail except you can pretty much where I am going here.  I removed the big square lugs on the lower wing section, most of the cross member beam crossing the wells and am starting on the legs.  I left the tie down lug on as many of you who cut them off and added wire wondered if it was worth the effort.  So I took your advice and scratched/carved an undercut around it to try and represent it sitting on top. A piece of Evergreen tube in my spares box matched the leg dia perfectly and I think I am on the right track.  Because it is tube on the gear leg,I will put a 'peg' on the upper wing to securely locate the leg on top of the peg.  Just need to measure the other side before I cut that out so I can get the centre of the wheel hub the correct dist to the wing surface.

Anyway, here is where I am at...just feeling my way right now as I am not sure what I am doing.  It's all a bit experimental (like everything on this build!

Hang on, I thought I wasnt going to say much:doh:

PANPTA.jpg

A4LEZ2.jpg

Thanks for tuning in as always chaps!

Cheers Anthony

• Like 12

54 minutes ago, Anthony in NZ said:

As I mentioned in my earlier post I decided to move onto the wheel wells and undercarriage

I decided that The way Tamiya have us mount the main gear is quite fictional.  So after pouring over photos I decided it was worth upgrading them (whilst I sort these Aux door  interiors out.  Mostly in my head)

I wont go into too much detail except you can pretty much where I am going here.  I removed the big square lugs on the lower wing section, most of the cross member beam crossing the wells and am starting on the legs.  I left the tie down lug on as many of you who cut them off and added wire wondered if it was worth the effort.  So I took your advice and scratched/carved an undercut around it to try and represent it sitting on top. A piece of Evergreen tube in my spares box matched the leg dia perfectly and I think I am on the right track.  Because it is tube on the gear leg,I will put a 'peg' on the upper wing to securely locate the leg on top of the peg.  Just need to measure the other side before I cut that out so I can get the centre of the wheel hub the correct dist to the wing surface.

Anyway, here is where I am at...just feeling my way right now as I am not sure what I am doing.  It's all a bit experimental (like everything on this build!

Hang on, I thought I wasnt going to say much:doh:

PANPTA.jpg

A4LEZ2.jpg

Thanks for tuning in as always chaps!

Cheers Anthony

Hi Anthony

If you need any landing gear or wheel well images just ask I would pleased to supply if required. I have accumilated a few.

• Like 2

Nice start with the landing gear and LG bays Anthony. It seems you decided to add more detail into the bay itself than I did. I used the exactly same technique with those tie down loops. There is no real improvement if you make new ones out of wire. A couple of thin hoses and the rod guiding the scissor link and you are there.

Those reinforcement straps look very good! Beautiful "scratching".

Happy New Year everyone, build at least one Phantom in 2022🙂

Antti

• Like 1

It's amazing to see the lengths you're going to in order to truly capture a Brit Phantom. It's also surprising to hear Tamiya got the gear so wrong.

4 hours ago, Antti_K said:

Already planning mine! Just not as big.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Tony G said:

Hi Anthony

If you need any landing gear or wheel well images just ask I would pleased to supply if required. I have accumilated a few.

Thanks Tony, I might just do that!  You have my personal email right?

21 hours ago, Antti_K said:

Nice start with the landing gear and LG bays Anthony. It seems you decided to add more detail into the bay itself than I did. I used the exactly same technique with those tie down loops. There is no real improvement if you make new ones out of wire. A couple of thin hoses and the rod guiding the scissor link and you are there.

Those reinforcement straps look very good! Beautiful "scratching".

Antti

Thanks Antti, I might need to chat to you sometime about those upper wing details.  Looks like you extended the bulge on the top surface and reshaped it?

17 hours ago, k5054nz said:

It's amazing to see the lengths you're going to in order to truly capture a Brit Phantom. It's also surprising to hear Tamiya got the gear so wrong.

Already planning mine! Just not as big.

C'mon then, lets get a build underway!  LOL, just kidding....no rush

I am wondering if anyone out there might be able to help me with some spares...

Cheers Anthony

Now back to these wheel wells

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Thanks Antti, I might need to chat to you sometime about those upper wing details.  Looks like you extended the bulge on the top surface and reshaped it?

You are welcome Anthony🙂

I did, and originally noted the need for that when I tried to match upper wing panel lines with photos. It became clear that the bulge on top of MLG head was too small. I corrected the upper side but left under side as it is. Both wing pylons are at wrong locations, but if you wish to correct that then you need to reshape the MLG bay as well. A huge job no one really notices. I think that it is far more important to fix the outer wing dihedral as it is twice as much as it should.

Cheers,

Antti

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Anthony in NZ said:

C'mon then, lets get a build underway!  LOL, just kidding....no rush

One minor element is missing before I begin: the Airfix kit itself 😁

Anyway, I'm excited to see what's next for XV571.

22 hours ago, Antti_K said:

You are welcome Anthony🙂

I did, and originally noted the need for that when I tried to match upper wing panel lines with photos. It became clear that the bulge on top of MLG head was too small. I corrected the upper side but left under side as it is. Both wing pylons are at wrong locations, but if you wish to correct that then you need to reshape the MLG bay as well. A huge job no one really notices. I think that it is far more important to fix the outer wing dihedral as it is twice as much as it should.

Cheers,

Antti

Thanks for that Antti, I hadnt noticed the MLG bay being the wrong shape, There are other more important issues to sort out than that I think, like the outer wings and the panel lines and stiffeners on them.

19 hours ago, k5054nz said:

Anyway, I'm excited to see what's next for XV571.

LOL me too!

Not a lot to report, but it's a new day.  But I decided in the interests of getting the wheel wells done nice and cleanly I would cut this part out of the fuselage paint Mule

SKgSp4.jpg

Trim neatly to fit

a2d4oO.jpg

This being the result....much tidier I think?  Now I think I can continue on (both sides now done) and add rib detail

yEGPna.jpg

Lets see what today brings, but my wife thinks I am neglecting some jobs around the house that need tending to before I go back to work......:fraidnot:

Cheers Anthony

• Like 7

On 01/01/2022 at 20:08, Anthony in NZ said:

That's what's so inspiring about this build Anthony - getting to watch a puzzle being worked out and become a physical reality. 👏

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Thanks for that Antti, I hadnt noticed the MLG bay being the wrong shape, There are other more important issues to sort out than that I think, like the outer wings and the panel lines and stiffeners on them.

LOL me too!

Not a lot to report, but it's a new day.  But I decided in the interests of getting the wheel wells done nice and cleanly I would cut this part out of the fuselage paint Mule

SKgSp4.jpg

Trim neatly to fit

a2d4oO.jpg

This being the result....much tidier I think?  Now I think I can continue on (both sides now done) and add rib detail

yEGPna.jpg

Lets see what today brings, but my wife thinks I am neglecting some jobs around the house that need tending to before I go back to work......:fraidnot:

Cheers Anthony

Hi Anthony

Those wheel wells look quite a bit different especially that inboard bulkhead.

spacer.png

• Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Dont suppose you have one for the other side like that do you?  Wasnt there a panel in the FG.1 to manually extend the nose leg?

Cheers 

Anthony

Hi

Yes I will have a look. I know i have one that is a bit grubby. But I will have a look for something better The nose leg extend switch is behind the buff coloured panel in that image.

spacer.png

Edited by Tony G
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tony G said:

Hi

Yes I will have a look. I know i have one that is a bit grubby. But I will have a look for something better The nose leg extend switch is behind the buff coloured panel in that image.spacer.png

Brilliant, thanks.  Looks like I will have my work cut out for me here....

Hello Anthony,

here is a photo giving you the measurements of that over wing panel:

spacer.png

The photo isn't mine, so I apologise the person who originally published it in the Internet. But it goes for a very goo noble cause. Note also the correct panel line.

The panel with three push-buttons for nose gear extension is visible in the photo Tony G posted some 40 minutes ago (Port MLG bay).

Cheers,

Antti

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Antti_K said:

Hello Anthony,

here is a photo giving you the measurements of that over wing panel:

spacer.png

The photo isn't mine, so I apologise the person who originally published it in the Internet. But it goes for a very goo noble cause. Note also the correct panel line.

The panel with three push-buttons for nose gear extension is visible in the photo Tony G posted some 40 minutes ago (Port MLG bay).

Cheers,

Antti

Thanks Antti, that’s just what I was trawling through my photos to find, you’re a legend mate!

• Thanks 1

Hello Anthony,

here's an area I think you should check. Hopefully this picture explains it (check with a ruler).

spacer.png

It is easily corrected with Milliput and some styrene. Of course the air brake needs some TLC also. I'll try to find a photo showing how I did it.

Cheers,

Antti

• Like 2