1/32 Brit Phantom FG.1 XV571 conversion from Tamiya and Wild Hare set

On 11/15/2021 at 10:47 PM, Tony G said:

I donโ€™t know where you find your patience and perseverance.ย  I think if it were me, I would have thrown a tantrum and jumped all over it and chucked in the bin by now.

Crack on the end result is going to be amazing

Me either Tony....trust me I have had those feelings too...:D

ย 

Cheers buddy, love having you along!

23 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Anything to avoid tgatย  cockpit Anthony!!!๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿ˜‰

I have to say well spotted and well corrected. Those underside photos are great and really show what you were trying to and have achieved. Great work fella.

Chris

Hahaha....looks like it dosent it!ย  But I have started, honest But only cutting out and dry fitting

2yVSCy.jpg

ย 

22 hours ago, Deano353 said:

This is some amount of work required I wouldn't notice half of what would have been needed for the conversion.

I know and I dont think many will when it is finished except me and a dew others following along here and LSP!ย  But I am enjoying the challenge and seeing your guys enjoyment and comments.... nothing else matters

ย 

Cheers guys and thanks for the drive to keep going

Anthony

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, Tony G said:

The trouble is with observers is hard tell if they are awake or in standby mode

The 'Talking Ballast' is a giveaway. If it talks, it's awake ๐Ÿ˜‚

ย 

(Sorry to the hardworking Navs/Obs/WSOs out there. You both rock ๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ‘)

• Haha 2

Evening Antony, loving the attention to detail, itโ€™s truly addictive ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘.

ย 

Could I suggest getting a Black Box โ€œJโ€ resin cockpit, as I believe itโ€™s a much better starting point. Itโ€™s what I used for my J as it fitted into the fuselage so much better than other optionsโ€ฆย 

ย 

Keep up on your inspirational build ๐Ÿ˜‰ย 

ย 

Cheers Siย 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Covjets13 said:

Evening Antony, loving the attention to detail, itโ€™s truly addictive ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘.

ย 

Could I suggest getting a Black Box โ€œJโ€ resin cockpit, as I believe itโ€™s a much better starting point. Itโ€™s what I used for my J as it fitted into the fuselage so much better than other optionsโ€ฆย 

ย 

Keep up on your inspirational build ๐Ÿ˜‰ย 

ย 

Cheers Siย 

Thanks Si

ย 

Yes that is a good suggestion and one that was made over on LSP as well.ย  There is one(Avionix) on eBay for sale at the moment with a bid on, but if its a forumite I would hate to bid over him.ย  I have had a look on line and cant seem to find any others.

ย 

Does anyone out there have one spare they might be willing to part with??ย  Or know where I might find one?

ย 

Cheers Anthony

First up I would like to say a HUGE thanks to @Covjets13ย as he has messaged me and offered one of his Black Box sets...thank you sir, you're a legend!

ย 

Work has continued on the belly.ย  Fixing the size and position of the Aux Air doors and stabilizing the join between the resin and plastic.ย  I was always a little worried as this join seemed a little weak.ย  So I built up a bit of a channel to represent the internal structure and filled it up with JB Weld, I have now got an even better fit with the wing to fuse as it now holds it form properly.

ย 

It's not pretty, but its doing the job!

ย 

Warning, ugly photo to follow:shocked:

ย 

rSMZar.jpg

ย 

But much better from the other side

bgqOzZ.jpg

ย 

You can see from the above photo I have put the recessed edging around the opening.ย  The edge of the doors sit up against it when the doors are closed.

ย 

Also in the photo below I have scraped off the 'east-west' strengthening plateย  in preparation for Gene K's (on LSP, check it out on LSP Discussion if you need one for a future build) new strengthening strap file (thank you so very much!) that sits in front of the doors.

ย 

I am pretty sure I have left and right engine profiles correct and even, running up to, and along the keel line.ย  The Sparrow recesses are almost there.ย  Getting close to laying a coat of Mr Surfacer down to see where I am at.

CfWkLV.jpg

ย 

Thanks as always for looking in on my painfully slow progress.....

Cheers Anthony

• Like 8

20 hours ago, Tony G said:

Hi Anthony

Looking good

Thanks Tony.....getting there mate!

ย 

12 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

It certainly looks good with all you hard work,ย  this is going to be an amazing model when complete.ย 

Great work Anthony

Chris

Thanks, although I often feel like I am waiting a lot of the time for the CA to cure so I can sand, fix, sand, reapply, sand, reapply sand.....:drunk:

ย 

Working on fine tuning the lower wing, moving some panel lines etc as there are a few differences to the Spey birds underneath, but not too much

ย 

Cheers Anthony

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Anthony in NZ said:

ย Warning, ugly photo to follow:shocked:

rSMZar.jpg

ย 

But much better from the other side

bgqOzZ.jpg

ย 

Reminds me of my favourite palindrome:

ย 

'Rettebs iflahd noces, eh? Ttu, but the second half is better'

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/15/2021 at 10:47 PM, Tony G said:

I donโ€™t know where you find your patience and perseverance.ย  I think if it were me, I would have thrown a tantrum and jumped all over it and chucked in the bin by now.

Crack on the end result is going to be amazing

Thanks Tony...sometimes I do feel a bit a tantrum coming on and burnout on all this tedium of shapes and rivets, is usually enough to make me potty!ย  But I am still enjoying it.

ย 

So, where are we now.......

ย 

Finished up filling the holes for the outer pylons to reposition themย  into their correct position.

uD5GAO.jpg

ย 

Lower intakes needed some work moving panel lines, changing shapes, removing access doors and moving fastener positions around to match the Spey differences.ย  The recess inserts for the catapult hooks were glued in, note they are a different 'corrected' shape now (not the recess, itself but the panel around it).

D3zmYJ.jpg

ย 

Here you can (hopefully) see the completely different lower profile of the Spey belly.ย  The WH part was unfortunately different shapes L & R and the Sparrow/Skyflash recesses were misshapen and wrong.ย  I really would have been better off modifying the kit again.ย  Never mind, I have done it now....

XuuWpK.jpg

ย 

8Sxb8b.jpg

I am probably not going to add detail into the missile recesses as I will have 'Drill Rounds' fitted and wont be seen.

Here you can see where a lot of the time has gone in reworking the belly and the surface details added.

ย 

Close up

hoIzXW.jpg

ย 

This is just my first coat of Mr Surfacer to see where I am at.ย  Pretty happy with the results.ย  I am really wanting to add all these details to the belly as it will really make a difference for weathering.

ย 

Right-O back to more surface details, wont be long before I get the big reinforcing 'straps/ Doublers on the lower spar cap etc.ย  Massive thanks to @Gene Kย for doing such an awesome job studying all of these variations and getting them as accurate as possible and making them available as a downloadable file to cut on your Silhouette cutter, hopefully soon.

ย 

Anyhoo...back to it

ย 

Thanks for stopping by

ย 

Cheers Anthony

ย 

• Like 13

Morning Anthony (well it is for me)

ย 

Once again, I have viewed your latest update in awe and amazement at the quality of your work.

Does New Zealand have a suitable art gallery where this work of art can be displayed, who needs Rembrandts when you have masterpieces like this.ย  Not that I am comparing you to an old master.

ย 

Knowing your desire for accuracy.

Just for info the starter exhaust drop down panel outboard of the right aux air door (right side in your picture) the hinge goes completely across and has an additional fastener inboard. I will leave counting all those rivet heads to another dayย 

.spacer.png

Edited by Tony G

11 hours ago, CJP said:

Awesome work Anthony I just love watching this Phantom come together.

Chris

Thanks Chris, I'm getting there mate!

ย 

9 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Seconded Anthony,ย  it is a pleasure to watch this develope. Your panel line work is so neat.ย 

Great work, all of the subtle changes you have made will surely make this the definitive Spey engined Phantom.

Chris

Thank you sir!ย  And there sure seem to be more changes than I first realised.

ย 

7 hours ago, Tony G said:

ย 

Once again, I have viewed your latest update in awe and amazement at the quality of your work.

Does New Zealand have a suitable art gallery where this work of art can be displayed, who needs Rembrandts when you have masterpieces like this.ย  Not that I am comparing you to an old master.

ย 

Just for info the starter exhaust drop down panel outboard of the right aux air door (right side in your picture) the hinge goes completely across and has an additional fastener inboard. I will leave counting all those rivet heads to another dayย 

.spacer.png

Tony, thank you so much!ย  It's stuff like this I love and I will correct the panelย  details you mention.ย  I did wonder if that hinge should go all the way across as there was a panel line running down there before if I recall.

ย 

Lol art gallery, I dont know about that.ย  The truth is more likely my kids throw it in the bin when I die!!

ย 

Thanks again, I appreciate your feedback buddy

ย 

Cheers guys, I love having you along

Anthony

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/5/2021 at 11:55 PM, Tony G said:

ย 

ย 

.spacer.png

Tony I have added the fastener, but havent sorted the hinge issue just yet...but will do, thanks again!

ย 

This is just a quick one before a bigger one on the weekend hopefully But if I dont mention it now I will likely forget.

ย 

I was marking out panels. rivets and fasteners on the belly when I noticed the shape of the pylon fwd attach points must be a different shape as they werent lining up with the structure underneath. So I changed that to be more accurate

pUumIZ.jpg

ย 

ย Double checking photos also highlighted the (Brit ones at least) had a spacer on the outboard mount.ย  The reason I mention this is that I have seen discussion and photos of US ones with the pylon cantered slightly outward perpendicular (right angles)to the lower surface. At least the Brit Tooms werent it seems.ย  I have punched a couple .10 thou discs and this is the result.ย  This also now matches photos where there is a rubber seal between the pylon and wing surface which seems to fill the resultant gap.ย  Once the wing straps/doublers are on I will understand this fitment a little better.

ย 

Best I mention it now in case I forget later onย ย 

q70xBa.jpg

ย 

I am going to lightly 'ding' the tanks as they seem to have got a little rough by the end of the Tooms service life.

ย 

Right-O back to it gents....

ย 

Cheers Anthony (with hopefully a better update on the weekend?)

ย 

• Like 6

Well thats looking pretty dam good,ย  the inboad pylons have a similar space between the side braces and the wing.ย  You will have to crack soon and start that cockpit.ย  Give you something to do on Christmas Day.ย  Just make sure you have a great crimbo

ย 

spacer.png

ย 

ย 

• Like 2