1/32 Brit Phantom FG.1 XV571 conversion from Tamiya and Wild Hare set

Don't know how I missed this consider yourself another follower Anthony! Excellent work, I just hope HK Models follows through with a 32nd Royal Navy  F-4. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, WV908 said:

This build just keeps getting better and better 

Cheers,

WV908

Thanks very much!  Slowly goes it

2 hours ago, Deano353 said:

Don't know how I missed this consider yourself another follower Anthony! Excellent work, I just hope HK Models follows through with a 32nd Royal Navy  F-4. 

Thanks buddy and thanks again for the pics you took of the FG.1 for me!  Glad to have you along

I'm going to call this a win for the first coat of Mr Surfacer 1200

Leave it a day to harden and I can polish and rescribe/rivet

CS6T49.jpg

Cheers Anthony

• Like 14

Looks lovely,  I really like the grey paint on with your panel lines showing in black so looking forward to seeing a piccie if you're happy to post when done.  

Is this the end of the resin section ? Are you now moving onto the Tamiya plastic?

Great work 

Chris

On 8/26/2021 at 7:26 PM, bigbadbadge said:

Looks lovely,  I really like the grey paint on with your panel lines showing in black so looking forward to seeing a piccie if you're happy to post when done.  

Is this the end of the resin section ? Are you now moving onto the Tamiya plastic?

Great work 

Chris

Hey Chris, yes I will do that fairly soon.  I know I have been going on about the surface details so took this in the meantime to see I have actually still been working on it...almost there now!

On 8/27/2021 at 7:33 AM, Bertie Psmith said:

This is a heck of a build and most impressive. I'm wondering how long you expect to take overall?

Thanks very much!  Hmmm that's a good question, I am hoping things will move quicker now the fuse is mostly done

66JjAx.jpg

Cheers Anthony

• Like 6

On 9/2/2021 at 3:49 PM, Alan P said:

Now get it cast and ready to order, chop chop!

2021-09-02_04-47-42

(Seriously, congratulations on a brilliant piece of work so far :worthy:)

Alan

Aww thanks buddy, shame we couldnt cast it really...but I'll take your money anyway! :D

Update on its way

Cheers Anthony

• Haha 3

Ok so I know I have been banging on about the surface finish.  So I thought I show you what I spent all afternoon doing.

I think my biggest issue has been all the different mediums I have been working with and needing to get a consistent finish from nose to tail and matching what has already been done.

The photo's you are about to see make it look a bit scrappy, but I said I would take you all through 'warts n all' so you can see how I am doing this and the mistakes I am making as I figure it all out.  Better a few pics like this than a nice primered one at the end.  So this afternoon I spent this whole time just working on this back section.  As I work my way forward with the wash I am fixing all the little imperfections.  This will also lay a foundation for  my post shading of the various base greys and weathering.  Anyway onto some photo's

lvZTGm.jpg

LJ5Mb6.jpg

y2iRsB.jpg

8rY2ii.jpg

Mr829j.jpg

WLV2mK.jpg

Should look a lot better under a coat of paint (although I dont want her to look too pretty)

Thanks for looking in and your encouragement, really spurs me on!

Cheers Anthony

Edited by Anthony in NZ
  • Like 14

Great work. Love the way you have managed to show the difference between access panel screws and riveted skin panels. 

I am still stuck trying to get started, now the wife has retired I think she thinks I now work for her.  Now have garden arch and greenhouse to sort out and erect. Some people have no sense of priority, surely building models is more important ?

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Tony G said:

Great work. Love the way you have managed to show the difference between access panel screws and riveted skin panels. 

I am still stuck trying to get started, now the wife has retired I think she thinks I now work for her.  Now have garden arch and greenhouse to sort out and erect. Some people have no sense of priority, surely building models is more important ?

Thanks Tony!

glad you noticed the differences between my fasteners and rivets…

Oh seriously? Sheesh these women have their priorities all wrong haha….I would never say that of course to your wife or mine!

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Liking the wash on.  Looks great Anthony.  

Cracking work 

Chris

Thanks Chris...getting there

5 hours ago, 621Andy said:

This will be the Phantom by which all others are judged😍

Almost a shame to paint it😄

Awww thank you!  Yes it looks 'different' like this dosent it?

I forgot my Favorite photo

xObxtb.jpg

Also for those interested in a set of the parts Kerry CAD'd up for me, great news is that @Ali62  is going to do a run of them for those interested.  This will be a HUGE help for any of you contemplating this conversion.  A lot of work went in to get these right.

Cheers Anthony

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, mark.au said:

Superb work.

Thanks Mark.... appreciate you following along buddy!

13 minutes ago, Alan P said:

'Pretty happy with it' 🤯 it's a weapons grade masterpiece now.

Dave Klaus must be spinning in his commercial grave 😂

Keep up the superlative work,

Alan

LOL, thanks mate!  

I think the Brit Toom and F-16XL probably did put him in his grave...... Such ambitious projects, you gotta give him a 10 for effort

Cheers and thanks again

Anthony

I Anthony, I think you are going to hate me but as you are such a stickler for detail.

I have racked my memory but I cannot remember there being round access panels incorporated to the two long spine panels. I cannot find a high-quality image to disprove the existence of access panels and my memory has enough trouble trying to remember why I am half way up the stairs and if I am going up or coming down.

I found two images that might help perhaps there are other with a better insight than me

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Tony G said:

I Anthony, I think you are going to hate me but as you are such a stickler for detail.

I have racked my memory but I cannot remember there being round access panels incorporated to the two long spine panels. I cannot find a high-quality image to disprove the existence of access panels and my memory has enough trouble trying to remember why I am half way up the stairs and if I am going up or coming down.

I found two images that might help perhaps there are other with a better insight than me

They are definitely on the J79 models as you can see in Jack Melampy's great book, but I have no idea about the UK ones 

spacer.png

• Like 1

1 minute ago, coneheadff said:

Now I can confirm the panels...

spacer.png

You can see British Phantoms during assembly with those panels. The photo is out of Patrick Martin's book.

Well Done.

I should stick to trying to remember where I put my glasses.

It made sense that they should be there to access tank electrics without the pig of a boring  job removing the spine panels but not as bad as the upper wing panels.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Tony G said:

Well Done.

I should stick to trying to remember where I put my glasses.

It made sense that they should be there to access tank electrics without the pig of a boring  job removing the spine panels but not as bad as the upper wing panels.

Phew.... But I think after seeing this discussion I will sand them down a bit and make them a bit finer or less pronounced

Thinking about the cockpit....will be using @Ali62 canopy set though(these are the kit parts), just fiddling about with a few things

M1V5t3.jpg

Edited by Anthony in NZ
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Phew.... But I think after seeing this discussion I will sand them down a bit and make them a bit finer or less pronounced

Thinking about the cockpit....will be using @Ali62 canopy set though(these are the kit parts), just fiddling about with a few things

Also whilst looking at the cockpit, XV serial series was single stick and XT's were dual control, as in a flight control stick in the back as well?

Edited by Anthony in NZ

4 hours ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Also whilst looking at the cockpit, XV serial series was single stick and XT's were dual control, as in a flight control stick in the back as well?

Trivia: Rear cockpit controls were evaluated by the Navy very early on in the F4H program. It basically consisted of the flight controls and an extra instrument or two, that enabled the airplane to be flown from the back but without some critical capability, like brakes if I remember correctly (it's in my F4H-1/F4H-1F/F-4A monograph but I'm away from home). The Navy decided dual controls weren't required (it was considered an easy airplane to fly and there weren't enough instruments in the back seat for instrument proficiency or visibility from the back seat for a safety pilot) but the provisions for them and drawings were used by the Air Force for its F-4s. XT-595 and 6 had throttles in the aft cockpit but no stick or pedals, basically so a pilot or flight test engineer could independently operate the Speys as required for inflight testing.

• Like 1