1/32 Brit Phantom FG.1 XV571 conversion from Tamiya and Wild Hare set

Well I will try not too ramble on too much and TRY and just let the photos speak for themselves.

A big box of 3D printed parts arrived from Kerry a couple of days ago.  Needless to say I have been in heaven...

Engine fronts have been printed in 3 sections, I have started prepping them for paint, here is 2 of them, Oops forgot to photograph the rearmost section

UDCCYB.jpg

Vari-ramps have been a mission! Several tweaks and reprints have resulted in a final product we are both happy with.  Still needs a little sanding and fine tuning, but pretty much there.  They are very different to the US ones

CStOoz.jpg

J81S06.jpg

uY7YaY.jpg

Bottom

x7M2A3.jpg

Front

pidFuP.jpg

IIyzCt.jpg

My happy place......

sLNnVW.jpg

Dont worry I wont let that Hasegawa 1/32  P-40 M/N//K (havent decided yet) distract me!

Thanks for checking in guys, now back to it eh?

Cheers Anthony

• Like 17

Following this from the beginning, your progress and achievements to date are exceptional. It's coming together steadily and surely - wonderful attention to detail. Keep up the good work.

Q

• Like 1

Your attention to detail with the intake ramps is phenomenal, the time and effort you must have put in to achieve such accuracy is worthy of a gold medal.  It is a pleasure to view your progress in each new post

• Like 1

10 hours ago, heloman1 said:

Wow Anthony those new parts looks superb. Please don't get distracted!

Colin

Thanks to Kerry of course, yes they are superb!  LOL  Even Kerry messaged me to put the P-40 away before you all lynch me for getting distracted! LOL

8 hours ago, Dr. Quack said:

Following this from the beginning, your progress and achievements to date are exceptional. It's coming together steadily and surely - wonderful attention to detail. Keep up the good work.

Q

Thanks buddy!   I am always following along with your builds too.  Very entertaining and you build great subjects! You keep up your good work too

7 hours ago, Tony G said:

Your attention to detail with the intake ramps is phenomenal, the time and effort you must have put in to achieve such accuracy is worthy of a gold medal.  It is a pleasure to view your progress in each new post

Awww thanks mate.  Being a stickler for accuracy and detail is often my biggest downfall.  You guys are what has kept me steaming along with this!

Thanks for your comments and likes, means a lot.  Just sorry it wasnt more advanced by now.  This beast is a time-sapper!

Cheers guys

Anthony

• Thanks 2

I remember your angst about the air bleed louvres (or whatever they are called). They look superb under a coat of primer and the whole fuselage has that "do not mess with me" rugged good looks of a Spey Phantom. You could delay the cockpit to work on the wings...

• Like 1

Hello Anthony,

I'm glad you liked my cockpit pictures. It was actuaIly the nicest area of the build. I can't get my eyes off those compressor parts. They are really nice. Same goes for the vari ramps.

Cheers,

Antti

• Like 1

On 8/8/2021 at 2:41 PM, DonH said:

I remember your angst about the air bleed louvres (or whatever they are called). They look superb under a coat of primer and the whole fuselage has that "do not mess with me" rugged good looks of a Spey Phantom. You could delay the cockpit to work on the wings...

Thanks Don, yes I forgot the angst those louvers gave me LOL.  Yes I have thought about the wings...

On 8/8/2021 at 7:22 PM, bigbadbadge said:

Hi Anthony 

Phwoarrr those vari ramps look fantastic and so do the fans, wow. They look wonderful in place on your gorgeous model.  

Chris

Thanks as always Chris, you always motivate me buddy!

13 hours ago, Antti_K said:

Hello Anthony,

I'm glad you liked my cockpit pictures. It was actuaIly the nicest area of the build. I can't get my eyes off those compressor parts. They are really nice. Same goes for the vari ramps.

Cheers,

Antti

Yes loved your pictures.

Yes those compressor fans are beautiful arent they.  The vari ramps came up nice with a fine mist of Mr Surfacer 1200. I took these just for you mate

zpCwoD.jpg

nWVKxw.jpg

Cheers guys

Anthony

• Like 7

On 8/9/2021 at 9:57 PM, bigbadbadge said:

They look lovely Anthony,  your work is incredibly neat .

Chris

Thanks Chris!

Another piece of the puzzle from my best mate Kerry, these are the different shaped vents on the rear fuselage above the reheat cans as found on Brit Tooms.

Pk6X5X.jpg

mpgjO0.jpg

Not much to show on the actual kit whilst I tweak and refine the fuselage surface. This WH conversion is causing me more work than I thought.  On my one the resin is very brittle and adding surface details is difficult as the edges crumble and I have to keep fixing.  Even using my finest razor saw dosent help a lot more.  I am finding a good layer of Mr Surfacer and scribing through that gives a much nicer result.  I didnt expect this to be held up on this part for so long.  Thankfully once the fuselage surface is finished the rest will be Tamiya plastic....phew!

I will post when I have more to show, but I thought you might like to see these

Cheers Anthony

• Like 4

Looking very good, each tweak bringing you closer to Toom Nirvana 😁 Do you think you could have produced this without the Wild Hare conversion, just using the Tamiya kit as a base alone?

22 minutes ago, Alan P said:

Looking very good, each tweak bringing you closer to Toom Nirvana 😁 Do you think you could have produced this without the Wild Hare conversion, just using the Tamiya kit as a base alone?

Hi Alan, thanks very much!

Yes I definitely.  In fact I think the conversion has caused me more problems than it solved.  As well as that, the (well mine anyway) the resin is brittle and crumbly.  So when I re-do panel lines etc I often end up with a coat or 2 of Mr Surfacer to sort the irregularities out and run a photoetch saw through the lines to get them nice and even.  It is a pleasure when I work on the front and rear sections where I used the original Tamiya kit.

If anyone has this conversion, my recommendation would be to just cut the rear flanks and lower section out and throw the rest away...

With what Kerry and I have put together with vents, engine fronts, complete Spey back ends and new correct Vari Ramps you are a lot of the way there on your own.

Definitely very do-able with a Tamiya J

Cheers Anthony

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

The vents look great in place Anthony and does really lift the area to a further level.  Great job on this

Chris

Thanks Chris, I cant wait to get Mr Surfacer on them and see how they actually look

Thanks again for checking in buddy!

• Like 1

Your attention to detail goes above and beyond, you are definitely setting the gold standard for those that follow. I am starting my 892 sqdn Navy Phantom this week in the group build I just hope I can do my old aircraft justice.  It is not until I study the individual pieces of the 1/48 kit I see the wrong or missing detail.  Simple things like the drag chute door T handle, drain tubes behind the intakes, Deck Hook up lock, underside panel lines, etc.  Keep up the good work I so look forward to each new post with your progress, even if it does make me think I should have taken up knitting instead of modelling.

• Like 1

Anthony, this is getting better and better.

I think you have reached the point where one all of the sudden finds "new energy" for the project and some "inner peace" not to rush things but even start again with some earlier finished detail. The model will look superb once finished and people want to see it over and over again.

Excellent work!

Cheers,

Antti

• Like 1

A masterpiece work so far Anthony. The level of detail is amazing.

I use very often 3D printing in my ongoing builds too. May I ask which 3D printer is Kerry is using to print the parts? I did 1:72 Blackbird J-58 engine inlet and exhaust details but to be able to get reasonable printed parts I had to increase the wall thickness a bit especially on rotor and guide vanes. Of course the model scale matters as well.

Serkan

• Like 1