1/32 Brit Phantom FG.1 XV571 conversion from Tamiya and Wild Hare set

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Thanks for that, my approval came through for the British Phantom Aviation Group (BPAG) Facebook group.  Looks like a Great place!  Thanks for the heads up!

Glad it was of use

This face book group has some interesting bits

https://www.facebook.com/groups/215551215532252/search/?q=phantom

And this guy even did a RAT (ram air turbine)

https://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Fea1/501-600/Fea541-F-4-Greutert/00.shtm

Edited by Tony G
detail added
  • Like 1

On 7/2/2021 at 9:34 PM, Tony G said:

spacer.png

Glad it was of use

This face book group has some interesting bits

https://www.facebook.com/groups/215551215532252/search/?q=phantom

And this guy even did a RAT (ram air turbine)

https://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Fea1/501-600/Fea541-F-4-Greutert/00.shtm

You're a great help buddy thank you!

Still plugging away on the surface details on the starboard center section when I got a nice surprise in the mail today...

7hhou7.jpg

These are the clear cast parts to @Ali62 revised canopy set (there is also a bag of internal framework and sills etc)for the Tamiya Phantom.  All I can say is WOW!  These are beautiful and if you have a Tamiya Phantom in your stash, then you NEED one of these.

Especially thanks to Rick Godden for sending me 2 sets.  Thank you sir!  I hope I only need the one LOL

Right-O back to scribing and riveting.....

Cheers Anthony

• Like 6

Love the canopies, the rivet detail and even the lines for the canopy sealant. Looks like fun masking them up. But given your attention to detail I am sure it will look amazing

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CJP said:

A lot of hard work Anthony but looking superb!

CJP

Thank you sir...I will be back at the Skyhawk hopefully after this...

7 hours ago, Tony G said:

Love the canopies, the rivet detail and even the lines for the canopy sealant. Looks like fun masking them up. But given your attention to detail I am sure it will look amazing

Yep, they sure are beautiful indeed.  better make sure I do a good job of the cockpit.....:doh:

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

The canopy sections look lovely Anthony. 

Will really add to your excellent model. 

Chris

Thanks Chris, Ali really did a superb job and is a 'must have' in my opinion

All final finishing is done on the reheat cans and I am happy to say they are a close to perfect and accurate as we can get them.  Still another 'tweak on the 'ramps' but we're getting close

Inside

Yc0dPw.jpg

7pvRKa.jpg

qR5JB7.jpg

The cans tuck up in the back like this Photo Credit @Julien (Walkaround Coordinator), thanks for your great walkaround here on BM!

RN2F1q.jpg

Here's mine, sitting a touch low still

fLrp8C.jpg

Should be closer to this, but easy to fix, a touch more sanding along the top of the opening should tuck it in closer to this, this is a tiny bit high I think, but just placed in here to illustrate

DNBD92.jpg

And a slightly different angle.  Important to note that there is still a titanium edging to go around the edge of the airframe, slightly overlapping the edge of the can.

This will fill the gap between the 2 parts and tidy it all up. This illustrates how I still have to 'tuck' that engine up about another 1mm

0fT7LB.jpg

Oh well, back to surface details, this was a nice diversion

Cheers

Anthony

• Like 14

Thats a good picture of the jetpipe cans you can see the real colouring many models I have seen make them to silver when they really have cadium type colour tinge to them. The shingles in the jetpipe look really authentic. At least you will not get filthy crawling up there

• Like 1

This level of attention to detail and determination to get it exactly right is inspiring.  While I have been known to be fairly obsessive in replicating markings and weathering, it doesn't your approach yours.  Having caught up a month's worth of posts I'm slumped back in my chair, a small dribble creeping down from the corner of my slack-jawed open mouth.  

• Haha 3

22 hours ago, Tony G said:

Thats a good picture of the jetpipe cans you can see the real colouring many models I have seen make them to silver when they really have cadium type colour tinge to them. The shingles in the jetpipe look really authentic. At least you will not get filthy crawling up there

LOL, you wouldnt want to crawl up there very often I am sure!

9 hours ago, Julien said:

Just a point but those cans are on an airframe with no engines in, just the cans so I cant claim the realones looked like that.

Thanks Julien and thanks for such a great walkaround, you have been an enormous help!  Derek mentioned the same as you on LSP....I am on it now!

9 hours ago, mark.au said:

This level of attention to detail and determination to get it exactly right is inspiring.  While I have been known to be fairly obsessive in replicating markings and weathering, it doesn't your approach yours.  Having caught up a month's worth of posts I'm slumped back in my chair, a small dribble creeping down from the corner of my slack-jawed open mouth.  

Mark, your stuff is awesome mate and I really appreciate feedback like that coming from you....there a fair bit to go though

Cheers and thanks again for your valuable input, its much appreciated

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks as always Chris!

Well i have to admit to a bit of burnout here.  Correcting and replacing surface details on this right hand side is mind numbing and hard to motivate myself to carry on with all those rivets!  Anyhow I have still done a little bit each night and the various builds here have been hugely inspiring, thanks guys.  I put my head down today and tidied up some more areas at the back end where the resin and plastic join (from where I earlier cut the conversion fuselage into 3 sections).  only a couple of panel lines to do now and continue working on adding the fasteners.  Then I can do the rivets.

I will leave the best part of this post until the end as it's the main reason to update you all because I dont really have a lot to show from spending hours on the surface detailing.

Here are some results of all my fine tuning, see nothing really looks different, but I really hope it pays dividends with the final result

HMc57H.jpg

rSsQJh.jpg

Then as a bit of a side track for me was to take a look at the lower nose profile and how I was going to fix it.  I added some thick plasti card to the front, more on this later) and removed a couple of antennas that are not present on Brit Tooms.

sZV0ii.jpg

A suitable section of the original Tamiya fuselage section was cut out of the back for the Aux air doors in the back.  Still yet to add some surface details before I make them too thin and add a bit of internal structure

1GTHvI.jpg

Anyway the big news and main reason to post is this.......

3S6gwG.jpg

HZnUWF.jpg

Kerry said, well I made a 'Hot' section, I may as well make a 'cold' section!!!

Isnt he awesome!

He said to me that the NZ IPMS Nats are coming up on 8-10 Oct in Auckland where he lives, so I am going to see if I can finish this beast up to take up there.  I will do my best and it gives me a target!  I probably wont enter it as I have let my membership slip for quite a few years and I am not into competitions or placing anymore (I used to judge them as well) but happy to bring it up to display if nothing else

Thanks for looking all, and until I have more to show....

Cheers Anthony

• Like 9

Hope this Target date and those lovely intake fans/blades helps raise the flagging Mojo levels. You may think it may not look much to you, but it is great to see areas such as the intake shoulder and the curve around the can receiving attention and a general step nearer to the ultimate British Phantom fella.

Great work.

Chris

• Like 1

Is there no end to your talents.  The ECU guide vanes and nose cap are just as I remember them, You can almost hear the compressor singing as the blades windmill in the wind.  Well done. I was going to join the Phantom group build in August if I can produce half the quality you are achieving I would be made up.

Edited by Tony G
  • Like 1

On 7/24/2021 at 8:25 PM, bigbadbadge said:

Hope this Target date and those lovely intake fans/blades helps raise the flagging Mojo levels. You may think it may not look much to you, but it is great to see areas such as the intake shoulder and the curve around the can receiving attention and a general step nearer to the ultimate British Phantom fella.

Great work.

Chris

Yes mate, slow but steady, I am getting there.  I was talking to Kerry last night and he asked if I had most of the hard work done with the conversion.  After seeing his fan section I replied 'Yes!' It is really just a matter of refining the surface details until I am satisfied and then it will be like building any other Phantom kit...right??

On 7/24/2021 at 9:10 PM, Tony G said:

Is there no end to your talents.  The ECU guide vanes and nose cap are just as I remember them, You can almost hear the compressor singing as the blades windmill in the wind.  Well done. I was going to join the Phantom group build in August if I can produce half the quality you are achieving I would be made up.

Well I cant take the credit for the front section.  But because of your descriptive memory, this pic is for you!

First test print

YCiqFV.jpg

17 hours ago, Alan P said:

Wow. The engine faces are stunningly good. Make sure you get plenty of pictures before you imprison them away in the fuselage! :lol:

Alan

Here you Go Alan...goodness knows how I am going to paint them...

5 hours ago, k5054nz said:

I know all about burnout from focusing on a single large-scale project, so I won't try and push you! But the Nats sounds like a great goal and, to my untrained eye, a doable one.

Thanks mate, I like the idea of having a target date too.  Hoping this will motivate me to stay awak until the wee small hours of the morning trying to finish it!

And this is just a quick pic to show the blending of the Tamiya Kit section and the WH conversion as well as correcting the panel lines.  Once I have stopped being so fussy on this area I can rivet it.  Then onto the cockpit...did I mention I hate doing cockpits?:D

2Ux909.jpg

Thanks again gents, your likes and comments mean the world to me!!!!!

Cheers Anthony

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

I was looking at my kit before I start and I noticed that the rear ECU tail heat shield is missing the detail for the fire wire by the cans and the radius to upper fuselage heat shield is hard corner. I don’t know if this of interest to you.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 3

Hello Anthony,

you are doing a very nice progress there! Don't worry about the cockpits, as you can create very convincing "offices" out of the kit parts, with some scratch building and with careful painting. The Tamiya parts have some problems with the measurements. For example the pilot's IP is too narrow (I had to use 1/48 scale instrument decals from Airscale to make them fit). Replace the bang seats with resin ones as the kit parts are far too simplified.

Here's my cockpit with some scratch building, new instrument decals and resin seats.

spacer.png

The seats were modified to navy versions (this is an F-4J); note the bright green lanyards (or pull-rings) for emergency oxygen and the drab coloured PECs just left of the seat pans.

The pilot's cockpit looks like this with aftermarket instrument decals and some scratch building (like the landing gear and hook levers).

spacer.png

You can also see the ZCY primer on the floor. Yellow is right for the pilot's cockpit but I've seen photos showing dark red primer for the nav's cockpit floor. Hopefully someone can give more information about that. The side panels aren't a good match with any version. They are closest to those of an F-4C.

It's great that you got new canopies for your Phantom! They will spare a lot of time for you. Be careful not to "over-tint" the wind shield. They never were "bright green" but colourless. As the wind shield is made of laminated glass (some 50+ millimeters thick) it looks blueish at certain angles. I used a small droplet of Humbrol 15 mixed with a fair amount of clear lacquer.

Those compressor blades look fantastic... I think Kerry should receive knighthood for the parts he has created.

Keep up the good work!

Cheers,

Antti

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Antti_K said:

Hello Anthony,

you are doing a very nice progress there! Don't worry about the cockpits, as you can create very convincing "offices" out of the kit parts, with some scratch building and with careful painting. The Tamiya parts have some problems with the measurements. For example the pilot's IP is too narrow (I had to use 1/48 scale instrument decals from Airscale to make them fit). Replace the bang seats with resin ones as the kit parts are far too simplified.

Here's my cockpit with some scratch building, new instrument decals and resin seats.

spacer.png

The seats were modified to navy versions (this is an F-4J); note the bright green lanyards (or pull-rings) for emergency oxygen and the drab coloured PECs just left of the seat pans.

The pilot's cockpit looks like this with aftermarket instrument decals and some scratch building (like the landing gear and hook levers).

spacer.png

You can also see the ZCY primer on the floor. Yellow is right for the pilot's cockpit but I've seen photos showing dark red primer for the nav's cockpit floor. Hopefully someone can give more information about that. The side panels aren't a good match with any version. They are closest to those of an F-4C.

It's great that you got new canopies for your Phantom! They will spare a lot of time for you. Be careful not to "over-tint" the wind shield. They never were "bright green" but colourless. As the wind shield is made of laminated glass (some 50+ millimeters thick) it looks blueish at certain angles. I used a small droplet of Humbrol 15 mixed with a fair amount of clear lacquer.

Those compressor blades look fantastic... I think Kerry should receive knighthood for the parts he has created.

Keep up the good work!

Cheers,

Antti

To the best of my knowledge the primer that was used in RN phantoms was only yellow chromate primer. And the cockpit floor foot plate area was painted with dark sea grey non-skid paint (which did wear away to expose areas of primer).

I don’t if know if it is of interest  (excellent cockpit by the way) but the left pilot manual canopy unlock lever is not yellow and black it is grey and black and the underside and lower front edge of the deck hook is clear with white light. 

This is not meant to criticise the wonderful job you have done, it’s just for info. I just hope I can do half as well

spacer.png

Edited by Tony G
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Excellent info Tony G, so thank you for the comments🙂 I haven't noticed that white part on the hook lever. It's now very clear. Something to do on my next (hopefully HK Models' 1/32 scale FG.1) Phantom.

I got the colours for the canopy release levers from old USN close-up photos. So another detail to note on my next British Phantom.

The dark red primer was visible probably on the FGR.2 at Duxford. It was indeed the floor board, not the cockpit floor.

Cheers,

Antti

• Like 1

On 8/6/2021 at 12:24 AM, Tony G said:

I was looking at my kit before I start and I noticed that the rear ECU tail heat shield is missing the detail for the fire wire by the cans and the radius to upper fuselage heat shield is hard corner. I don’t know if this of interest to you.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Hi Tony

Thanks for sharing your knowledge with us all.  Yes I was aware of those details around the cans, one of the many things yet to address.  Once I get the lower wing on I can sort those things out as there is a bit of work yet to do in this area.  There is a lip that the cans sit slightly behind that I need to make as well.

23 hours ago, Antti_K said:

Hello Anthony,

spacer.png

spacer.png

Keep up the good work!

Cheers,

Antti

Thanks for the inspiration Antti!!  LOVE your cockpit and notes!

19 hours ago, Tony G said:

To the best of my knowledge the primer that was used in RN phantoms was only yellow chromate primer. And the cockpit floor foot plate area was painted with dark sea grey non-skid paint (which did wear away to expose areas of primer).

I don’t if know if it is of interest  (excellent cockpit by the way) but the left pilot manual canopy unlock lever is not yellow and black it is grey and black and the underside and lower front edge of the deck hook is clear with white light. 

This is not meant to criticise the wonderful job you have done, it’s just for info. I just hope I can do half as well

spacer.png

Tony, thanks again mate, this is the sort of stuff I need to know!

Cheers guys, update on its way soon

Anthony

• Like 2