1/32 Brit Phantom FG.1 XV571 conversion from Tamiya and Wild Hare set

Crikey  Anthony that is almost a forensic like scrutiny of the photo and your model. If you had not mentioned it, I for  one would not have noticed.  You were a brave fella doing that and I am very glad it's worked as you will, when complete have the most accurate model and it looks to me, looking at the last few photos you have nailed it.

Hope you have got over the side affects from the jab now

Fantastic job.

Chris

1 hour ago, Alan P said:

Definitely a tortuous route you're taking with this! As long as you're still enjoying yourself Anthony! 😉

You're not wrong!  But actually I am having a blast!  I just get moments of oh no...what have I done LOL!

38 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Crikey  Anthony that is almost a forensic like scrutiny of the photo and your model. If you had not mentioned it, I for  one would not have noticed.  You were a brave fella doing that and I am very glad it's worked as you will, when complete have the most accurate model and it looks to me, looking at the last few photos you have nailed it.

Hope you have got over the side affects from the jab now

Fantastic job.

Chris

Thanks buddy!

Yes I reckon I have analyzed it until I paralyzed myself at one point, but really happy with the result to this point.

Thanks I am over the side effects of my second jab, I was obviously one of the small percent that gets crook from it.

Cheers guys

Anthony 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Thanks I am over the side effects of my second jab, I was obviously one of the small percent that gets crook from it.

Glad you are over them.   I got some side affects from my first jab , pains in my legs and arms for a week and a half was not nice,  but better than catching Covid .  The second jab gave no side affects at all for me.

Chris

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Whilst it's been a few weeks since my last update I thought it was time to let you know I have still been working on her.

I have almost finished all the surface details on the left side, just a couple more to add.  There has been a bit of panel line and shape alterations, most obvious ones are:

1. there is a bit of a curvature change just in front of the reheat cans, hard to see but visible at certain angles.  So I have sanded the rear 5mm to match photos, this also gives a nice blend into the can opening.  Seen in Red

2. The panel line running backwards on the rear fuse on the kit is a little too high and needs dropping down a couple of mm at the rear of the can opening edge (light blue is the kit) Dark blue is where it needs to come down to

wXAzuy.jpg

Hope this makes sense.  Only subtle changes but makes all the panel lines meet up in the correct places etc.  Of course you cant see it in my photos, but on certain angles (like the real one) you can see it.

I also added the edging to the inside of the Aux doors ready for interior structure, the circular hole and corresponding panels are repositioned and changed in size.

fCPbK0.jpg

Mr Surfacer on

xq15Sa.jpg

lCtK0F.jpg

8IgvIp.jpg

WyHJOl.jpg

jQtSkh.jpg

nkTyYH.jpg

zHJZ6M.jpg

So most of the riveting and moving panel lines is done, still have some work to go though.  This is a pretty labor intensive part at the moment, but I figure all the prep and time spent here will hopefully pay off when paint goes on.  I'm pretty happy with the surface details thus far.  I just wish I had more time in my day/week to work on her!  Seeing the surface like this helps me see how I have to even up all the details for uniformity.

Getting there...honestly! Thanks as always for tuning in

Cheers Anthony 

• Like 17

Ooooo that port side looks great now with all that work on the intakes and shoulder and now with the extra work at ghe can end too looks absolutely wicked and it certainly will pay dividens when it comes to paint and overall look/accuracy.

Great work. 

Chris

• Like 1

Funny, it's only now you've done all the hard work I can clearly see the difference it's made. I honestly missed half of what you were tinkering around with, until those final few nips and tucks with the curvature showed up the crucial but very subtle little differences. Really well done, and very much worth the effort 👏👏👏 as you said before, now you've nailed it, a (probably inferior) kit must surely be mere months away 🤣

• Like 2

13 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Ooooo that port side looks great now with all that work on the intakes and shoulder and now with the extra work at ghe can end too looks absolutely wicked and it certainly will pay dividens when it comes to paint and overall look/accuracy.

Great work. 

Chris

Thanks buddy!  Yes I think I have broken the back on this one and can now get on with detailing up the surface.  Always love your feedback and encouragement!

12 hours ago, Alan P said:

Funny, it's only now you've done all the hard work I can clearly see the difference it's made. I honestly missed half of what you were tinkering around with, until those final few nips and tucks with the curvature showed up the crucial but very subtle little differences. Really well done, and very much worth the effort 👏👏👏 as you said before, now you've nailed it, a (probably inferior) kit must surely be mere months away 🤣

Lol thanks mate, I take that as a real compliment from you after seeing your work.  Loving your latest Mosquito build, but my favorite still has to be your GR1 Harrier...totally love that!  Now, lets bring on the Brit Toom 32nd kit aye???🤣

12 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

Extraordinary attention to detail. I’m eagerly awaiting the next instalment 

Trevor

Thanks Trevor, glad you're enjoying the build!  I have to say, I am too.  I am eagerly awaiting the next installment too LOL.  Nice having you following along and hanging in there whilst I work at such a slow pace...

Cheers guys, as much as I am doing this for me and my enjoyment.  For the first time in a build I also feel like I am doing it for you guys too, I dont know why?  Maybe it's because we have all waited too long for a kit of this lovely beast?

Anthony

• Like 2

I don’t know if it is of interest. If my memory serves me, the 4 projections out from the fuselage to the fixed section of the intake ramps are blade shaped as they are barrier cutters.

• Like 2

On 6/26/2021 at 2:22 AM, Tony G said:

I don’t know if it is of interest. If my memory serves me, the 4 projections out from the fuselage to the fixed section of the intake ramps are blade shaped as they are barrier cutters.

Aaah that would make sense Tony

With my topcoat of Mr Surfacer 1200 on (hopefully) before wash and then one day painting.  I have been fine tuning the fuse as I make my way back down the left side.

Here you can see I 'tweaked' the rear canopy fairing to match photos of RAF ones I have (not sure if they differ to J-79 ones) but I sanded the access panel 'ring' flat and rescribed it and added fasteners.  I also rivetted a few areas and defined the fairing shape a bit better as the shape was a bit 'soft' from where I attached the kit  and conversion fuselage parts together.  I also replaced the big holes and 'divots' that were representing the fasteners around the edge by filling with CA and re-drilling smaller ones to match the rest of the airframe.

I also redefined the area where the intake blends into the main structure (has a bit of a curve in it.  Just realized i have to replace a raised panel on the top of the intake I added then removed....

Anyhoo, here's the mess I got myself into...

0s5ejS.jpg

And this is where I finished u last night, all now looks consistent with the rest of the airframe structure and a little more accurate.

rr6ur5.jpg

I am almost feeling brave enough to say the left side of the fuselage is done...

Cheers Anthony

Edited by Anthony in NZ
  • Like 14

9 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

That looks lovely Anthony and the quality of your corrections and work is top notch. If I tried work like that it would end up in the bin, I'm sure!!!

Great work 

Chris

Thanks buddy, I dont believe you...this work is well within your skills!  Although I have almost launched her into the bin a couple of times :whistle:

18 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

Just gets better and better.

Trevor

Thanks Trevor! 

I am going to start work on the surface details on the right hand side of the center fuselage section tonight.  I feel I am getting closer to having the fuse corrections done now.  With the nose section, tail section and left center section virtually done. I mostly only have to do the surface details on the right fuse center section.  Once those are done I guess I need to look at detailing the aux intake doors in front of the reheat cans and the cockpit.  Did I mention I hate doing cockpits???

Cheers Anthony

Edited by Anthony in NZ
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Thanks buddy, I dont believe you...this work is well within your skills!  Although I have almost launched her into the bin a couple of times :whistle:

Thanks Trevor! 

I am going to start work on the surface details on the right hand side of the center fuselage section tonight.  I feel I am getting closer to having the fuse corrections done now.  With the nose section, tail section and left center section virtually done. I mostly only have to do the surface details on the right fuse center section.  Once those are done I guess I need to look at detailing the aux intake doors in front of the reheat cans and the cockpit.  Did I mention I hate doing cockpits???

Cheers Anthony

I have built up quite a collection of phantom images if there is an area of concern I may be able to help. I have images of lower Aux air doors but not the upper in detail and quite at lot of cockpit an UC. 

• Like 1

More excellent work Anthony! You are nearly there with the fuselage.

Are you planning the cockpits with open canopies? I personally prefer closed ones as the give the "real" look of an aircraft. Tamiya clearly designed this kit to be posed with the canopies open. The fit is "fair" at best for the closed option. And they got the canopy edge wrong way out: those screw heads should be on the metal coloured part of the frame.

About the cable cutters behind the vari-ramps: at least on F-4J only the uppermost "blade" or "wedge" is a cable cutter with a "fluctuating" saw tooth edge. I'm not familiar with this detail on FG.1s but I suspect it had similar arrangement. British Phantom originally had an extra small shark fin cable cutter blade on top the nose.

Cheers,

Antti

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Antti_K said:

Are you planning the cockpits with open canopies? I personally prefer closed ones as the give the "real" look of an aircraft. Tamiya clearly designed this kit to be posed with the canopies open. The fit is "fair" at best for the closed option. And they got the canopy edge wrong way out: those screw heads should be on the metal coloured part of the frame.

About the cable cutters behind the vari-ramps: at least on F-4J only the uppermost "blade" or "wedge" is a cable cutter with a "fluctuating" saw tooth edge. I'm not familiar with this detail on FG.1s but I suspect it had similar arrangement. British Phantom originally had an extra small shark fin cable cutter blade on top the nose.

Cheers,

Antti

There was also a blade on the underside, fwd  of the nose UC door. Anybody who worked on 892 sqdn can probably show the scar on the top of their head from said blade and slipping down the front canopy when cleaning the front screen would bring a tear to your eye when the upper blade arrested your slide.spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for photos and info Tony G🙂

Ironically the one stencil warning about the sharp edge was left out of the British Phantoms...

Do you happen to know more about the one on top of the nose? Were they removed at some point?

Cheers,

Antti

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tony G said:

I have built up quite a collection of phantom images if there is an area of concern I may be able to help. I have images of lower Aux air doors but not the upper in detail and quite at lot of cockpit an UC. 

Thanks Tony!  I will need help in the cockpit for the FG.1 for sure.  Great pics above as well, thank you!

2 hours ago, Antti_K said:

Cheers,

Antti

Hi Antti, am planning the canopies open with ladders on the side ( I believe @xvtonker is going to do some Brit ones....hopefully!!!)  and refueling probe extended. Just to add some life to her.  I know the canopies have some issues but I am going to use @Ali62 beautiful canopy set.  A chap on LSP (Rick)  has picked one up for me and it's in the mail as we speak, I cant wait to see it and am hugely grateful he did those!  Hopefully soon I can sort out the Vari Ramp I am about to get back to Kerry about a shape tweak as something is just not sitting right and the top edge is a bit high in relation to the canopy sills.  Nothing major though.  Then hopefully Ali might still want to put them in his line for you all to buy as well.

I will need to look into that top/uppermost blades having some sort of saw-tooth edge...never noticed that before.... 

Thanks guys, this discussion is repealing even more with details...thanks!!

• Like 1

Those upper intake grills / vents are a work of art. I compared them  to a image I have and they are amazing. Its funny I must have sat on the bump on the intake a thousands  of times yet never noticed it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Antti_K said:

Thank you for photos and info Tony G🙂

Ironically the one stencil warning about the sharp edge was left out of the British Phantoms...

Do you happen to know more about the one on top of the nose? Were they removed at some point?

Cheers,

Antti

HI Anthony top and bottom triangle shaped blades are reversible, held by 4 screws ie could be reversed and refitted blade internally in the airframe, As far as I am aware they normally were only fitted for when embarked on a carrier.  It is not very clear but you can just about see the lower blade in the white triangle fwd of the nose door of the 892 nose pic

For info the upper barrier cutter to the intake fixed ramp was a wavy edge more than a saw tooth

Edited by Tony G
add info
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Tony G said:

HI Anthony top and bottom triangle shaped blades are reversible, held by 4 screws ie could be reversed and refitted blade internally in the airframe, As far as I am aware they normally were only fitted for when embarked on a carrier.  It is not very clear but you can just about see the lower blade in the white triangle fwd of the nose door of the 892 nose pic

For info the upper barrier cutter to the intake fixed ramp was a wavy edge more than a saw tooth

Such great info, thanks so very much!

• Thanks 1

Wavy edge... that's the word I was looking for but couldn't recall. Thanks again Tony🙂

I have a good close up photo of the blade used in F-4Js. All I have to do is to find it.

Cheers,

Antti

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I do not know if you are aware but there are groups on Facebook for British Phantoms with members with a wealth of knowledge that you could tap into should you need answers for build data /facts.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tony G said:

I do not know if you are aware but there are groups on Facebook for British Phantoms with members with a wealth of knowledge that you could tap into should you need answers for build data /facts.

Thanks for that, my approval came through for the British Phantom Aviation Group (BPAG) Facebook group.  Looks like a Great place!  Thanks for the heads up!