1/32 Brit Phantom FG.1 XV571 conversion from Tamiya and Wild Hare set

Hello Anthony,

you and Kerry are definitely "The Pathfinder Force Number 1, Phantom"😉 Somehow I feel that you guys will create some more new "goodies" for a British Phantom (I'll buy them all at once then). Those Vari-Ramps look very good with some gray paint on them.

Cheers,

Antti

• Like 1

On 4/24/2021 at 9:46 AM, Antti_K said:

Hello Anthony,

you and Kerry are definitely "The Pathfinder Force Number 1, Phantom"😉 Somehow I feel that you guys will create some more new "goodies" for a British Phantom (I'll buy them all at once then). Those Vari-Ramps look very good with some gray paint on them.

Cheers,

Antti

LOL, yes we seem to be treading 'where no man dare to tread' at the moment

This illustrated just how big the Spey really was compared to the J79, admittedly the Brassin parts will be undersized to match the kit parts...but still

VDuSCN.jpg

Well the other intake is all dolled up ready to go, just have to sort the surface details out one the fuselage before I can epoxy them on...

Lv6vbP.jpg

GTxn6c.jpg

I will probably lose a lot of that surface detail on the top of the intakes when I modify the 'shoulders'

Thanks for looking in

Cheers Anthony

• Like 12

13 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Looks great Anthony,  infact if you built it and just left ad is with the panel lines and rivet details it would look bloomin fantastic.   

Great work 

Chris 

Actually Chris, I have even thought about finishing the model all over grey with just riveting done, might make for an interesting 'look'  But I will probably paint it in the end as I want to do her a little dirtied up before she got her scheme changed again before retirement.  I have a pic of her looking a little scruffy and stained

So this is one of those updates where it is not very visually interesting but important to discuss.

The Tamiya Phantom is very flat on the sides as it seems for a J79 powered one.  However the Spey Phantom has a much bigger more rounded back end (I would never say THAT to my wife LOL...I digress)

This should show as it is difficult to see in photos, but it is definitely different, I have added in thick green lines to show you the difference

Xdf9u1.jpg

Derek posted this brilliant photo of 'Black Mike' being transported without wings and you can really see the curves in the back end earlier in the thread (photo credit Ian Haskell)

jWdHWG.jpg

Also note the 'hump in the shoulder, but more about that once the intakes are on...

Here is the issue with the kit/conversion.  WH went some of the way correcting this around the very back end, but as you can see that curve runs gently further up the fuse

The kit...

0rMoSk.jpg

So I made a former out of a resin block I had

LlHYpa.jpg

The good thing about the resin fuselage center section I am still using is that I can heat and reshape.  So I boiled the jug and molded the curve up the side to correct this issue.  If you are using the Tamiya plastic fuse then you could thin the inside wall and put formers in the back or build up the curve on the outside with CA or similar.  However doing the latter might cause an issue when rescribing details back on

This is what I ended up with...much more accurate

PS1OXN.jpg

Dosent look like a lot, and in real life it isnt, but on the model it has made a big difference to my eye.  I tried to photograph it with the light directly above so you can see the altered contour

Then I spent most of the rest of the day sanding and reprofiling the back end...phew, I even got both sides matching.  

SQfWWp.jpg

Really hard to see I know, but after altering all those curves in the back end to match drawings and photo's I am more than happy with the result.  You will be able to see it better later on when I re-do the surface detailing.

Boring but important update for those doing this conversion. Early on in the build I wasnt sure I was going to bother, but as I get deeper and studied her more, I just could not leave it alone.  Especially when you see the reheat can on, then the fuse quickly went flat, I  just couldnt leave it....

Well that brings nearly a week off work to a close, I got lots done but things will probably slow up again now I am back at work again tomorrow.

Cheers Anthony

Edited by Anthony in NZ
  • Like 9

2 minutes ago, Alan P said:

You really are going to town on this Anthony 😮 Kubrick-level attention to detail here.

Thanks Alan!  That means a lot coming from you.  I really enjoy your builds.  

Loving the Tornado F.3 conversion and was wondering what paints you plan on using for the Barley Grey(or latterly Camouflage Grey 626?  Assuming they were painted that colour? 

I was reading British Phantoms by Patrick Martin today and it mentions the colour was actually 20 parts Light Aircraft Grey 627 and one part black.  Maybe I just darken my Light AG?  

Your thoughts?

Cheers Anthony 

• Thanks 1

Hi Anthony

I was struggling initially ro envisage the curve to the side, however your front rear profiles made that really clear.   What a fantastic job using the profile you made and then heating the fuselage,  an absolutely inspired idea.  

I an very impressed with that, I would have turned to the old CA/talc to do and would not have thought of that.  Hats off to you fella really great work. 

Chris 

4 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Hi Anthony

I was struggling initially ro envisage the curve to the side, however your front rear profiles made that really clear.   What a fantastic job using the profile you made and then heating the fuselage,  an absolutely inspired idea.  

I an very impressed with that, I would have turned to the old CA/talc to do and would not have thought of that.  Hats off to you fella really great work. 

Chris 

Thanks Chris, just remember this central part of this conversion I am still using is resin, dont do that with plastic, you will ruin it. But bulging it with formers on the inside will enable you to keep your surface details if it is possible depending on your conversion type

Cheers Anthony

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Thanks Alan!  That means a lot coming from you.  I really enjoy your builds.  

Loving the Tornado F.3 conversion and was wondering what paints you plan on using for the Barley Grey(or latterly Camouflage Grey 626?  Assuming they were painted that colour? 

I was reading British Phantoms by Patrick Martin today and it mentions the colour was actually 20 parts Light Aircraft Grey 627 and one part black.  Maybe I just darken my Light AG?  

Your thoughts?

Cheers Anthony 

Thanks Anthony. I think it's best not to think of it as a 'colour' but an 'appearance', if that doesn't sound too pretentious 😂 I started with Gunze Mr Color Barley Grey and MRP Light Aircraft Grey as base colours and will work at it from there.

One top tip I always rely on: use a mix of different manufacturers' shades of the same colour to work different panels, they're always slightly different variations of the same shade and provide the more realistic appearance of the aircraft.

Keep going with this, it will be the definitive build of this aircraft in the scale the way you're going 👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alan P said:

Thanks Anthony. I think it's best not to think of it as a 'colour' but an 'appearance', if that doesn't sound too pretentious 😂 I started with Gunze Mr Color Barley Grey and MRP Light Aircraft Grey as base colours and will work at it from there.

One top tip I always rely on: use a mix of different manufacturers' shades of the same colour to work different panels, they're always slightly different variations of the same shade and provide the more realistic appearance of the aircraft.

Keep going with this, it will be the definitive build of this aircraft in the scale the way you're going 👍

Thanks Alan

Your reasoning makes perfect sense and I will enjoy seeing your way of doing it.  I’m always one for learning new ways of achieving different results and will follow along with interest. I got some nice results from my last build with black basing. I then just build up all the layers to give a random patchy effect.  The trick is to try and make it look natural and not ready for the scrap yard!

Cheers and thanks for the encouragement 

Anthony

• Like 1

On 4/27/2021 at 3:18 AM, heloman1 said:

Some serious detail work going on here Anthony. Looking very good!

Colin

Thanks Colin!  Appreciate the feedback as I feel like I an so slow I am actually going backwards!

Small update, but taken a long time to get this side riveted and panel lines added and changed.  lets get some wash on now and see what needs fixing!

szuBX6.jpg

Did I say I really want to get these intakes on??

Cheers Anthony

• Like 7

2 hours ago, CJP said:

Wow Anthony no detail or contour escapes your eagle eyes - superb work

CJP

Sometimes I wish it did LOL

7 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Looking lovely,  as said before, this would look amazing in your base grey withe the panel lines and rivets wash.  

Great work as always.

Chris

Thanks Chris...lets hope so!

This image here is to show what the rivets look like under the black base for this area behind the intakes that I wont be able to paint properly later on.  The Light grey gets marbled over the top but you cant really see the riveting unless you get up close and get the right light.  They aren't a prominent feature on the real aeroplane at all, but the idea is to give some 'texture/life' to the airframe up really close.  More artistic than actual I suppose

Hard to see but you get the idea

i3VahP.jpg

• Like 9

Ok I will just let the pics speak for themselves...mostly.  

Barley grey layed down...this colour is doing my head in!  Initially too green, then used light aircraft grey over the top...better but still not happy.  Then Med Sea Grey heavily lightened with white.  That seems better to my eye as they seem to get quite light and faded quickly in service.  Then when you see on photo's of touch ups of supposedly the same colour it is completely different again, different lighting different look!  Happy with one result I went down the other end of the house and didnt like it .  Some do look really greenish at certain angles, but to my eye I need more grey.  Anyway I will persevere sorting this out as I continue with modifying the airframe.

This is good enough for behind the intakes for now anyway, its close but not quite there to my eye

The good news at least is that I am prepping the port intake for epoxying in!!

22WP7I.jpg

oP2oU3.jpg

0P5EZI.jpg

i28mgt.jpg

9Y7und.jpg

Cheers Anthony

• Like 11

Fantastic progress Anthony!

You could have told me that you had colour matched the Barley Grey to an actual piece of the real Phantom and I would have thought "yep, looks right". My point being, after some weathering, washes, general dirtying, you will be in the centre of the ball park and no-one could argue. Whatever looks good to your eye is perfect in my book.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, DonH said:

Fantastic progress Anthony!

You could have told me that you had colour matched the Barley Grey to an actual piece of the real Phantom and I would have thought "yep, looks right". My point being, after some weathering, washes, general dirtying, you will be in the centre of the ball park and no-one could argue. Whatever looks good to your eye is perfect in my book.

Thanks for that, having never seen a Brit Toom I am relying on photo's and feedback, so thank you!

2 hours ago, Alan P said:

Good colour! The last pic of that group in particular 👏👏👏

Thanks mate....good to know!  You guys have boosted my confidence very much with the colour!

1 hour ago, Max Headroom said:

Really enjoying this. Nothing constructive to add other than cheering from the sidelines 👍

Trevor

Awww thanks Max, I appreciate you taking the time to follow along.  Glad you are enjoying this buddy!

Cheers guys, I just have to paint the IFR probe well white and then attach the right intake....feeling like progress today.  Your feedback is really boosting me along, sincere thanks from someone who has a big Shelf of Doom LOL

Anthony

• Like 2

More nice progress with the fuselage Anthony. Brilliant work with the rear end. I used spacers in my model (plastic fuselage) to get the fuselage width correct but over time those spacers formed vertical ridges on the fuselage sides. Oh well, more sanding and re-scribing...

Can't get my eyes off those scratch built grilles😉

Cheers,

Antti

• Like 1

Hi Anthony,  great to see the Port intake going on that must be very satisfying  after all your effort in correcting it.  I am very pleased for you.

I cannot advise re the correct shade but as Don mentioned I would have also believed that was the right shade too.

Great progress fella.

Chris

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Antti_K said:

More nice progress with the fuselage Anthony. Brilliant work with the rear end. I used spacers in my model (plastic fuselage) to get the fuselage width correct but over time those spacers formed vertical ridges on the fuselage sides. Oh well, more sanding and re-scribing...

Can't get my eyes off those scratch built grilles😉

Cheers,

Antti

Thanks Antti, the pics you sent me of your fuse corrections is above my skill set.  I admire what you have done. Forge on mate, your work is superb!  Yeah I am pleased with those grilles too.  Was a lot of work but I think worth it in the end...thank you

13 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Hi Anthony,  great to see the Port intake going on that must be very satisfying  after all your effort in correcting it.  I am very pleased for you.

I cannot advise re the correct shade but as Don mentioned I would have also believed that was the right shade too.

Great progress fella.

Chris

Thanks Chris, I always appreciate your feedback buddy!

Hoping to epoxy the other intake in tonight before bed, I have sprayed the IFR probe well white-ish

Cheers guys

Anthony

• Like 2