1/32 Brit Phantom FG.1 XV571 conversion from Tamiya and Wild Hare set

CAUTION: Ugly photo

As soon as I placed my test print in I noticed I still had shape issues in this 'hot area' JB Weld to the rescue

3hymUq.jpg

In good news 

Kerry is getting there with the Vari ramps, this has really been a cause for headaches for him...well done mate!

AG3qiY.jpg

Cheers Anthony

• Like 10

On 4/18/2021 at 6:18 AM, bigbadbadge said:

Hi Anthony the surface detail on the vari ramp looks fantastic,  wow. What's  JB weld is that a type of Sprue goo glue?

Chris

JB Weld is like a 2 part epoxy you can get from a hardware store (In this case Jaycar here in NZ).  One of the guys on LSP put me onto it and it's brilliant stuff, highly recommended!

So Derek Bradshaw really highlighted an area I had only partly got right over on LSP.  The rear 'hot area' clearly needed more modifying when the test print was inserted.  I tried to tell myself it was ok but it bugged me I wasnt quite there.

I am waiting for the 'tweaked' test print to arrive either today or tomorrow so I have been working hard with the initial one to see if I can get it ready shape wise. Here you can see that I have flattened the curve and deepened the recess where the can sits.  

sXnh6t.jpg

Little hard to see so I have put the red lines to help you see

5sXoRR.jpg

The original on the left side of the image was much flatter than the original kit part, but the reworked right side of the image shows how much flatter again this area now is.  I used a combination of cross sections and mk 1 eyeball.  You can also see the opening has also been made bigger in diameter to accept the new engine.

Cheers Anthony

• Like 4

Crikey,  you do like making work for yourself!!!

No seriously,  I like your meticulous approach and with all the other work you have done,  you want to do it justice and you are certainly doing it justice.

Great work Anthony. 

Chris

• Like 1

23 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Crikey,  you do like making work for yourself!!!

No seriously,  I like your meticulous approach and with all the other work you have done,  you want to do it justice and you are certainly doing it justice.

Great work Anthony. 

Chris

LOL I know mate! Thanks for the support.

Revised test print arrived about 30 mins ago

kUNRQC.jpg

bnja8i.jpg

ugEin8.jpg

Wk4YOA.jpg

Kerry has done a quick paint to see how the details turned out...what do you think?

One thing that really strikes me is how seriously BIG these Spey's were!

Cheers Anthony

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Anthony in NZ said:

LOL I know mate! Thanks for the support.

Revised test print arrived about 30 mins ago

kUNRQC.jpg

bnja8i.jpg

ugEin8.jpg

Wk4YOA.jpg

Kerry has done a quick paint to see how the details turned out...what do you think?

One thing that really strikes me is how seriously BIG these Spey's were!

Cheers Anthony

Thats a seriously nice piece of work. They really look the part. Are further copies going to be available for grovelling and cash?

3 minutes ago, JohnT said:

Thats a seriously nice piece of work. They really look the part. Are further copies going to be available for grovelling and cash?

Hi John, yes mate.

We have Ali from Aerocraft models on board with this.  I suspect he will make these bits if people want them.  At the moment Kerry and I are just working to get everything as perfect as can be before the files go to Ali to play with.  I will keep you posted on this thread here and LSP

Cheers Anthony

Edited by Anthony in NZ
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Hi John, yes mate.

We have Ali from Aerocraft models on board with this.  I suspect he will make these bits if people want them.  I will keep you posted on this thread here and LSP

Cheers Anthony

That’s a great call with Ali. 
Now when is the book getting written?  How to ........ 

Loving this topic and wondering if the 2 F-4 J’s in the stash might just one day get the treatment but no way as good as this

2 minutes ago, JohnT said:

That’s a great call with Ali. 
Now when is the book getting written?  How to ........ 

Loving this topic and wondering if the 2 F-4 J’s in the stash might just one day get the treatment but no way as good as this

Yes I think so, I have a feeling he has a soft spot for the Brit Toom, but the full conversion might be uneconomic?  I have had thoughts of cutting the tail off my kit and it could be cast or used as a master to fix the back end.  But I dont know if I can handle taking a razor saw to what I have done!

A book?  How to go potty with plastic and resin to make a Brit Phantom?  LOL, maybe the thread could be pinned for those wanting to build one?   One thing I cant believe is how much interest there has been on and off-line to me with this.  Thanks to you all!  maybe you all know I am a serial 'non finisher' Haha

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Anthony in NZ said:I have had thoughts of cutting the tail off my kit and it could be cast or used as a master to fix the back end.  But I dont know if I can handle taking a razor saw to what I have done!

Cut the tail off   :analintruder:  Noooo

5 minutes ago, JohnT said:

Cut the tail off   :analintruder:  Noooo

One of the guys on LSP has asked for help making the 'hot area' on his kit.  I have been making templates etc along the way,  I think he was considering getting Ali to cast it...he knows Ali quite well.  So who know's there might be a new piece become available?

• Like 1

Hello Anthony,

words fail me... Those Speys are among the very best kit accessories I've ever seen. And they are "just" prototypes you say.

I'm very much with John T here: do not cut the tail off. It is a heavy model and you might encounter some serious problems trying to make a strong joint afterwards. On the other hand, do you guys know any jewelry shop, technical university (or some other company creating small, detailed objects) down there as they might have the equipment to do a LIDAR scan? The guys at the university of applied sciences at my current hometown have all the "gizmos" to do just that. Back at work we have an eagle statue that was given to a Finnish airline pilot during the war by a German night fighter regiment. Now we wish to create copies of the statue. WIP already...

Cheers,

Antti

• Like 1

That paint really makes the nozzle look like a 1:1 piece to my eyes. WOW!!! Beautiful work Kerry and Ant!

I forget if this has ever been raised, but have you ever considered a 1/32 or 1/24 Auster? 😇

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Antti_K said:

Hello Anthony,

words fail me... Those Speys are among the very best kit accessories I've ever seen. And they are "just" prototypes you say.

I'm very much with John T here: do not cut the tail off. It is a heavy model and you might encounter some serious problems trying to make a strong joint afterwards. On the other hand, do you guys know any jewelry shop, technical university (or some other company creating small, detailed objects) down there as they might have the equipment to do a LIDAR scan? The guys at the university of applied sciences at my current hometown have all the "gizmos" to do just that. Back at work we have an eagle statue that was given to a Finnish airline pilot during the war by a German night fighter regiment. Now we wish to create copies of the statue. WIP already...

Cheers,

Antti

Hi Antti

Yup, the prototypes, I am sure Kerry is touched by your comments, he is following this thread.

Yeah I am with you on cutting the tail off, I just cant do it :shutup: 

Lidar, now that could be worth investigating?

17 hours ago, k5054nz said:

That paint really makes the nozzle look like a 1:1 piece to my eyes. WOW!!! Beautiful work Kerry and Ant!

I forget if this has ever been raised, but have you ever considered a 1/32 or 1/24 Auster? 😇

Oh a 32nd Auster T.7....ahhhh one day!

Been playing with Kerry's vari ramp test print, black based and grey over the top to see what effect we are getting.  Still a bit of shape tweaking and work on the holes but getting there

o8V6Sh.jpg

Hope I am not getting to tedious in my updates?  I have more if you're still interested?

Cheers Anthony

• Like 4

TaXJBi.jpg

St4PvE.jpg

As you can see I have a lot of surface detail to reinstate....Hey, I thought I had finished with this area!

But the revised final version of the reheat can just drops in there with no effort

P459eI.jpg

mElyTI.jpg

5g1Ovi.jpg

Then I thought I better do some black basing inside the intake area and will put a little Barley grey on later before I finally epoxy the intake on (I really must finish the other side)

W0F1fg.jpg

6Hj2QO.jpg

And here is where she sits....can you tell I have had a few days off work? LOL

nn0LU0.jpg

As always chaps, thanks for following along and sorry it's taking so long, this is a vertical learning curve for me on Phantoms!

Cheers Anthony

• Like 8

23 minutes ago, Dr. Quack said:

Astonishingly good. The time and effort you're putting in is certainly paying off. Surely this is the definitive "how-to" masterclass.

Q

Thanks Doc, nice to know it's being appreciated.  I am trying to make it informative as to the Brit differences.

Cheers Mate

Anthony

You lucky thing Anthony you got to do modelling,  I am on four days off as of today and I have had to do the garden and clean out one of the garages!!! I ache !!!

The model looks fantastic.  That can does lookbamazing as does the Vari ramp, the details look great with your painting bringing out that lovely details and seeing the intake in place too looks fab.

Great job.

Chris

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

You lucky thing Anthony you got to do modelling,  I am on four days off as of today and I have had to do the garden and clean out one of the garages!!! I ache !!!

The model looks fantastic.  That can does lookbamazing as does the Vari ramp, the details look great with your painting bringing out that lovely details and seeing the intake in place too looks fab.

Great job.

Chris

LOL thanks buddy, 

Modelling time is at a premium for me too!  I have had to cut down 8 trees, re-align the fence from where the branches had pushed them on an angle and concrete the posts in, repaint, re-level the lawn, get dirt in and re sew the grass.  Plus we did a bathroom and toilet this year as well.  I am amazed I got any modelling done either this year so far.  Got to buy new trees....but I am keeping my mouth shut, I need a break!  Although I must check all the guttering for winter!

Hang in there mate, you'll be back into it before too long.  Problem I found was that after all that manual work I tried to do some modelling and had the shakes really bad, LOL, I must be unfit!

Cheers and hope you get to the bench soon