1/32 Brit Phantom FG.1 XV571 conversion from Tamiya and Wild Hare set

7 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Anthony, I’ve been quietly following along without comment, but those (almost!) finished intakes deserve more active acknowledgement.  Fabulous attention to detail and neat work.  Great stuff.

Thank you sir!  That really means a lot coming from you!

Glad to have you along!

• Like 1

Great progress @Anthony in NZ - I've eventually got the mojo back for mine but hit a huge stumbling block when comparing the plans I have with the Tamiya kit - although the shoulders of the intakes keep the same contours, the spine on the kit does not even remotely match that on the drawing.

Anyway, with this in mind and looking how the rest of the kit is to be modified I've elected on opening out the intake width from the main gear bays forward. This means that the rear fuselage will (shock horror) be 2mm too narrow, but this plays into my hands as it means I can clad the exhausts in just 1mm thick card, not muck about with an extra layer of 0.5mm and they will be the correct diameter for my fuselage. 

I've already cut out the auxiliary air doors on the underside and shifted them forward - I haven't lengthened the bays for the doors so I've simply set them on the Centreline meaning there is a length discrepancy both front and back, but it's on the underside of jet so I'm not too fussed.

The first cuts have been made in the fuselage too - I'm going to widen and set the intakes and then cut out two horizontal sections to 'pitch up' and form the hump in the shoulder that the FGR.2 has. I think I may go and modify the intake louvres, but I know I'm not looking forward to cutting out the aft air doors on the fuselage. 

Still planning on XV408 at this stage too.

Cheers,

WV908

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, WV908 said:

Great progress @Anthony in NZ - I've eventually got the mojo back for mine but hit a huge stumbling block when comparing the plans I have with the Tamiya kit - although the shoulders of the intakes keep the same contours, the spine on the kit does not even remotely match that on the drawing.

Anyway, with this in mind and looking how the rest of the kit is to be modified I've elected on opening out the intake width from the main gear bays forward. This means that the rear fuselage will (shock horror) be 2mm too narrow, but this plays into my hands as it means I can clad the exhausts in just 1mm thick card, not muck about with an extra layer of 0.5mm and they will be the correct diameter for my fuselage. 

I've already cut out the auxiliary air doors on the underside and shifted them forward - I haven't lengthened the bays for the doors so I've simply set them on the Centreline meaning there is a length discrepancy both front and back, but it's on the underside of jet so I'm not too fussed.

The first cuts have been made in the fuselage too - I'm going to widen and set the intakes and then cut out two horizontal sections to 'pitch up' and form the hump in the shoulder that the FGR.2 has. I think I may go and modify the intake louvres, but I know I'm not looking forward to cutting out the aft air doors on the fuselage. 

Still planning on XV408 at this stage too.

Cheers,

WV908

Great news!

I was really hoping you would come back to your project.  Nothing will ever be perfect when converting this Tamiya kit to a K/M Phantom.  Having said that, I doubt any kit is ever 100% accurate anyway.  

I have some good news for you.......these have been studied and measured to within an inch of their lives and are going to be as accurate as you will ever get.  Nearly finished now except looking for some more details at the spray ring set up deep inside., if anyone can help?

We might have someone who has a printer capable of doing these in 1/32 and 1/48!

CMxTJ5.jpg

xE5doM.jpg

1oXSZF.jpg

xzGauM.jpg

Hope you like what you see here

Cheers Anthony

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

@Anthony in NZ

Wow, the detail on those is insane. What's the cost looking like for those haha? (I almost hesitate to ask) 

There was kind a catalyst for me trying again with this and it's that I've just picked up an Echelon Lightning and with a Tornado F3 on the bench too I need something to fill the gap between them ;)

Did you end up having those decals for XV408 spare? :)

I'm not a dab-hand at either riveting or rescribing so I'm going to have to decide just how much the panel lines will or won't bug me. I'm yet to figure out exactly how I'm going to sort the lower rear fuselage but what I have done is cut off all the areas that 'dig in' and have left myself with flat, even edges. I'll still be grafting plastic onto compound curves but I have at least made it slightly easier for myself. 

Cheers,

WV908

7 minutes ago, WV908 said:

@Anthony in NZ

Wow, the detail on those is insane. What's the cost looking like for those haha? (I almost hesitate to ask) 

There was kind a catalyst for me trying again with this and it's that I've just picked up an Echelon Lightning and with a Tornado F3 on the bench too I need something to fill the gap between them ;)

Did you end up having those decals for XV408 spare? :)

I'm not a dab-hand at either riveting or rescribing so I'm going to have to decide just how much the panel lines will or won't bug me. I'm yet to figure out exactly how I'm going to sort the lower rear fuselage but what I have done is cut off all the areas that 'dig in' and have left myself with flat, even edges. I'll still be grafting plastic onto compound curves but I have at least made it slightly easier for myself. 

Cheers,

WV908

I will check those decals.  When you abandoned your project I didnt follow it up.

I dont know what the cost will be, Kerry or I dont want anything extra for them to cover design costs, but it would be nice if someone to print us a couple of Hi res sets at cost.  Maybe someone might do a deal and want them for their range??  Who knows, we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.  Once the design work is finished we are going to do a test print on Kerry's printer to check sizings etc.

I think your conversion approach sounds quite good.  Careful with that 'hump' on the intake.  All is not what is seems, definately a 'hump' but I have spent hours studying this and will post my findings when I get to it on my thread.

You need to start a build thread....goodness knows I need some inspiration!!!

Cheers Anthony

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Anthony in NZ Thanks, yeah I've just had a read back through the thread and that hump is going to cause more issues than I thought - I considered for a brief while just widening the intakes and then laminating some plastic card on top and shaping that, but later realised it would muck up the contours of the shoulders. I will still be modifying the shoulder section behind the intakes though as the hump's absence is very noticeable in this area, mainly due to the fact of how far back the height discrepancy extends - almost to the rear of the main gear bays on the standard Tamiya fuselage! 

I'm not wanting to have to modify the upper fuselage behind the main gear bays at all contour wise if I can avoid it, so all the work will be in front of / below this section. 

I could start a WIP thread but I'll never finish it haha 

Cheers,

WV908

21 minutes ago, WV908 said:

@Anthony in NZ Thanks, yeah I've just had a read back through the thread and that hump is going to cause more issues than I thought - I considered for a brief while just widening the intakes and then laminating some plastic card on top and shaping that, but later realised it would muck up the contours of the shoulders. I will still be modifying the shoulder section behind the intakes though as the hump's absence is very noticeable in this area, mainly due to the fact of how far back the height discrepancy extends - almost to the rear of the main gear bays on the standard Tamiya fuselage! 

I'm not wanting to have to modify the upper fuselage behind the main gear bays at all contour wise if I can avoid it, so all the work will be in front of / below this section. 

I could start a WIP thread but I'll never finish it haha 

Cheers,

WV908

LOL, who says I will ever finish mine??? Haha

I think your plan sounds spot on.  Not a lot really needs to change in front of the reheat cans on the fuselage except the cans will need to be blended into the fuse section, Looking at the kit and photos (aside from drawings) I reckon they are pretty good if you just round off the fuse above the wing junction junction, the rest, dare I say looks pretty good.

As far as the 'hump' goes the key to remember is that the junction along the top intake line stays flat.  the bulge mostly comes from 'beefing out' along the more rounded J-79 shoulder sides, only a barely discernable (if at all) raising upwards which dosent appear on drawings.  Now I have the modified intakes taped to the fuse I can clearly see that the wider flatter front section will achieve this 'hump effect' further back.  More pronounced the lower the photo/sight line  is from the shoulders....this probably makes no sense sorry....

Please start a thread and I will do all I can to help.  Dont worry if you dont finish it.  I have plenty on LSP I need to get back to LOL.

Cheers Anthony

Edited by Anthony in NZ
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Anthony in NZ said:

We might have someone who has a printer capable of doing these in 1/32 and 1/48!

CMxTJ5.jpg

xE5doM.jpg

1oXSZF.jpg

xzGauM.jpg

Hope you like what you see here

Cheers Anthony

Er, yes :heart:

I hope someone helps you produce a run of these. I picked up some 3 d printed ones and was disappointed to read they are undersized. Oh well.....

I recall decades ago reading that the limited run conversion set caused as many problems as it solved. Reading these fantastic posts I can now understand what was meant. Truly great work, effort and diligence here. 

I was thinking hard about trying this conversion from scratch but it’s way beyond my skill set. My hopes rest on an injected kit. HK have/had? one planned but :tumble:when if ever?  

3 minutes ago, JohnT said:

Er, yes :heart:

I hope someone helps you produce a run of these. I picked up some 3 d printed ones and was disappointed to read they are undersized. Oh well.....

I recall decades ago reading that the limited run conversion set caused as many problems as it solved. Reading these fantastic posts I can now understand what was meant. Truly great work, effort and diligence here. 

I was thinking hard about trying this conversion from scratch but it’s way beyond my skill set. My hopes rest on an injected kit. HK have/had? one planned but :tumble:when if ever?  

Hi John

Yes I wouldnt invest in the Wild Hare Assn conversion.  There are one or 2 bits that are useful, but you are better off starting with a std Tamiya 'J' and doing the rest yourself.  maybe someone will CAD up a lower fuse and intakes and most of your problems are solved.

Yes I got the Shapeways ones and they were designed to fit in an unmodified Tamiya kit, which is fine if you arent a nutter like some of us and want to do it properly.  I did hear that he would modify the sizing if required, but alas I had already spent a lot of money on them.  At least he gave it a go, just wish I knew before spending the money.

I am forging on with this conversion so that a kit manufacturer can announce their new tooled one as soon as I finish :drunk: someone has got to take one for the team!

• Like 4

I am forging on with this conversion so that a kit manufacturer can announce their new tooled one as soon as I finish :drunk: someone has got to take one for the team!

Oh I know that one (1/32 Revell Mirage backdated to a C and Italeri announce new mould the week I finish first cut of the fuselage into parts) :confused:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

LOL, who says I will ever finish mine??? Haha

I think your plan sounds spot on.  Not a lot really needs to change in front of the reheat cans on the fuselage except the cans will need to be blended into the fuse section, Looking at the kit and photos (aside from drawings) I reckon they are pretty good if you just round off the fuse above the wing junction junction, the rest, dare I say looks pretty good.

As far as the 'hump' goes the key to remember is that the junction along the top intake line stays flat.  the bulge mostly comes from 'beefing out' along the more rounded J-79 shoulder sides, only a barely discernable (if at all) raising upwards which dosent appear on drawings.  Now I have the modified intakes taped to the fuse I can clearly see that the wider flatter front section will achieve this 'hump effect' further back.  More pronounced the lower the photo/sight line  is from the shoulders....this probably makes no sense sorry....

Please start a thread and I will do all I can to help.  Dont worry if you dont finish it.  I have plenty on LSP I need to get back to LOL.

Cheers Anthony

Oh go on then haha, I'll put a triplicate build up of Lightning, Phantom and Tornado F3. Might bung the Buccaneer on the back, not sure yet. Two IM kits, one vac and one resin. Dear oh dear haha. Quite tempted by the Tigger Models Jaguar too, but I'm yet to find a build thread or indeed any photos bar those on the website.

With the Phantom I'll widen the intakes, finish those up and add the air doors before I do any horizontal cuts and post photos on here to see what you all think.

Cheers,

WV908 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

As with another ongoing large scale thread I've just seen I haven't commented here! Despite the fact my routine takes me to LSP first, I still enjoy reading each update on the Phantom here. Bravo Anthony!

• Like 1

Hello Anthony,

those intakes and especially the grilles look fantastic; excellent work! I really admire your attention to both detail and correct shapes. Well done.

I came to the same conclusion with you guys about the "hump" on the intake shoulder. The joint is flat on top and the hump is only on the outer side (pretty complex shape that is). Also the highest point is further backwards when comparing with F-4J. Tamiya got the shape wrong even for F-4B and J; there should also be a "hump" although further forward. I added plastic strips and Milliput on mine to get the shape right.

I was wondering about the nose. I checked the Tamiya kit against factory drawings and measurements and it is the most accurate area of the kit. The nose section should be the same for both the US and UK versions. So the 3 missing millimeters are confusing me.

Cheers,

Antti

PS. I haven't even started my Hasegawa 1/48 scale FGR.2 yet...

7 hours ago, Antti_K said:

Hello Anthony,

those intakes and especially the grilles look fantastic; excellent work! I really admire your attention to both detail and correct shapes. Well done.

I came to the same conclusion with you guys about the "hump" on the intake shoulder. The joint is flat on top and the hump is only on the outer side (pretty complex shape that is). Also the highest point is further backwards when comparing with F-4J. Tamiya got the shape wrong even for F-4B and J; there should also be a "hump" although further forward. I added plastic strips and Milliput on mine to get the shape right.

I was wondering about the nose. I checked the Tamiya kit against factory drawings and measurements and it is the most accurate area of the kit. The nose section should be the same for both the US and UK versions. So the 3 missing millimeters are confusing me.

Cheers,

Antti

PS. I haven't even started my Hasegawa 1/48 scale FGR.2 yet...

Hi Antti, glad you're enjoying the build, no work yesterday really as we had 28deg and I have had hayfever all day sneezing and watering eyes are no good for this kind of work...and back to work today :doh:.  I was hoping to finish off that starboard intake yesterday

About the 'hump' part the reason I can see the shape emerge is because the intake was slightly too high vertically.  As you saw I took a mm or 2 out of the height (hence the cut in the corners) this already starts the correct profile up to the fuse junction point.  Now as you correctly say, the shoulders need bulging out.  That should be interesting!

As for the nose, this has been a constant source of confusion for me too.  I will PM you and we can put our heads together on this and I will show you the scans I have (as it is not my research I dont want to post his work in the public domain)

Cheers Anthony

19 hours ago, k5054nz said:

As with another ongoing large scale thread I've just seen I haven't commented here! Despite the fact my routine takes me to LSP first, I still enjoy reading each update on the Phantom here. Bravo Anthony!

Thanks Zac, the BM guys here have been amazing with this help, hence the 2 build threads!  Glad you are enjoying both, interestingly different info is coming out of both discussions!

On 4/5/2021 at 12:34 AM, WV908 said:

Oh go on then haha, I'll put a triplicate build up of Lightning, Phantom and Tornado F3. Might bung the Buccaneer on the back, not sure yet. Two IM kits, one vac and one resin. Dear oh dear haha. Quite tempted by the Tigger Models Jaguar too, but I'm yet to find a build thread or indeed any photos bar those on the website.

With the Phantom I'll widen the intakes, finish those up and add the air doors before I do any horizontal cuts and post photos on here to see what you all think.

Cheers,

WV908 

Atta boy, that would be awesome!!

On 4/5/2021 at 12:53 AM, Dr. Quack said:

Still following this with interest and admiration......some wonderful modelling going on - inspiring for a simple assembler like me.

Keep up the good work!

Q

Well Doc, your FGR.2 kept me going through some doldrums and really made me laugh....so thank you!  No you're not just an assembler, but very talented!

Well before I sign off, how about this.....pretty well finished!

BnzF2i.png

U9u5Xr.jpg

P30sSc.jpg

It's gonna make my model look like a Lego toy after seeing this!

Edited by Anthony in NZ
  • Like 6

Nothing I can take credit for, but a test print for sizing is on it's way to me to trial...

Didnt Kerry do a great job?  Imagine what this will look like in a hi-res print?

MPHHBF.jpg

g4fKJ2.jpg

Thanks so very much Kerry, but also those involved who are helping with photo's, drawings, encouragement as well as offers with their high end printers to help make this happen.  As you can see they are highly accurate.

I just hope I can do it justice when I get a final print and paint it nicely!

Cheers Anthony

• Like 11

Wow, Kerry will be a very popular guy in the future! Those re-heaters look great. I'm not sure whether I ever going to build this conversion myself or not, but I certainly want to purchase a pair or two...

Cheers,

Antti

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

What fantastic detail, they do look gorgeous. 

Chris

Dont they mate...

9 hours ago, (ex)Sgtrafman said:

Very, very nice! They most certainly do look the part 😎👍

Yes they do, I am very lucky to have a friend like Kerry who also has an interest in Brit Phantom's as well!

9 hours ago, Antti_K said:

Wow, Kerry will be a very popular guy in the future! Those re-heaters look great. I'm not sure whether I ever going to build this conversion myself or not, but I certainly want to purchase a pair or two...

Cheers,

Antti

Yes I think so!  He is very talented indeed.  Go  on Antti, you know you want to convert a Phantom!

I just got these when I woke up and made my coffee before work

Kerry is now working on the new Spey Vari-ramps, shape and hole perforations are very different to the US ones...

cHKYh3.jpg

dOUngd.jpg

This is the preliminary shaping, a lot more to go...

I am very lucky to have such a friend as Kerry and never take him for granted!  Thanks buddy

• Like 6

Hello Anthony,

Those vari-ramps look great too. Is it really possible to create the perforated patterns by 3D printing? My friend created an Extra 300L (aerobatic plane) in 1/72 scale a couple of years ago and I wasn't impressed. He was using one of the first consumer models purchased from Alibaba or something like that. Of course the current High-End equipment can create much better results.

A new cockpit would be also an useful item, because the Tamiya parts aren't very accurate in measurements or in detail.

Anthony, you are right😉 i might start the work myself; thanks to your inspirational project.

Cheers,

Antti

• Like 1

On 4/14/2021 at 7:31 AM, bigbadbadge said:

Crikey Anthony,  you certainly are a lucky chap. 

Chris

I am and I never take him for granted!

On 4/14/2021 at 8:24 AM, Antti_K said:

Hello Anthony,

Those vari-ramps look great too. Is it really possible to create the perforated patterns by 3D printing? My friend created an Extra 300L (aerobatic plane) in 1/72 scale a couple of years ago and I wasn't impressed. He was using one of the first consumer models purchased from Alibaba or something like that. Of course the current High-End equipment can create much better results.

A new cockpit would be also an useful item, because the Tamiya parts aren't very accurate in measurements or in detail.

Anthony, you are right😉 i might start the work myself; thanks to your inspirational project.

Cheers,

Antti

I would love you to do one as well, nows the time to get some of these parts before everyone moves on to other things.  Ali at Aerocraft is involved so hopefully when they are done you can all order sets

Hmmm, yes I know....someone else pointed out the cockpit...I cant think about that just yet LOL

On 4/14/2021 at 7:43 PM, heloman1 said:

Wow Anthony, those exhausts are exquisite, can't wait to see the intake ramps.

Colin

Intake ramps are proving troublesome for Kerry to print...still working on them.  Will update when I can

Just a quick teaser of the test print offered up as I am running late for work.... Some tweaks to be made but pretty close for a first go!

CtwQu7.jpg

e3hqsv.jpg

RF3TLG.jpg

Cheers Anthony

• Like 10

Oh, it seems still, that I can press the "Like" button only once😉

I guess those re-heaters are the most accurate ones in any scale! They really look good in place. Together with that re-shaped rear fuselage this is some very serious Phantom building. Already wanting for more...

Cheers,

Antti

• Like 2