1/32 Brit Phantom FG.1 XV571 conversion from Tamiya and Wild Hare set

On 1/24/2021 at 10:20 AM, bigbadbadge said:

Good to see the bleed vent surrounds done and matching .  I see the shape you mention Anthony, how will you address by the cuts and bending re gluing ?

Great work 

Chris 

Thanks Chris...not really sure to be honest...

On 1/24/2021 at 2:00 PM, CJP said:

Amazing neat work Anthony

CJP

Thanks buddy, that means a lot!

Ugh...I think I have hit the wall with this conversion.  As you can see I have got half way through boxing in the second bleed air section and I cannot seem to find the energy to finish it😔

vJmQNp.jpg

Some of my other projects are starting to look rather inviting right now....

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Thanks Chris...not really sure to be honest...

Thanks buddy, that means a lot!

Ugh...I think I have hit the wall with this conversion.  As you can see I have got half way through boxing in the second bleed air section and I cannot seem to find the energy to finish it😔

vJmQNp.jpg

Some of my other projects are starting to look rather inviting right now....

It's  a shame that you have hit a wall, although that is why it is good to have several projects on the go , helps keep the mojo levels high. Your boxing in does look great .

I have found if I give a build a break when you pick it back up it goes a bit quicker too, although it will be a shame to see this stall.

Chris

• Like 1

Hi Anthony,

I can totally understand that you have hit a wall, it is a lot of conversion work and dimensions to check etc. Really sucks the mojo. We are all waiting for a 1/32 injection moulded RAF Phantom kit to appear on the market. It won't happen until you are further through your build, so we are all behind you urging you on. Please don't stop, remember the greater good.

Great work BTW

Don

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Hi Anthony - I think that loss of mojo is a common affliction amongst us modellers - I'm sure it will return soon and I know having followed you on LSP you have quite a few models on the go - anyway how is that full scale Auster going BTW?

CJP

Edited by CJP
  • Like 1

Hey Anthony 

Yeah the loss of mojo can be a real bummer, we ALL suffer with it from time to time but a change is as good as a rest so you do whatever you need to to enable you to get back in the zone with this one.

However the amount of work that you are putting into this is staggering and once it is finished it will be a stunner...did I hear tails of a full sized Auster? Ummm how intriguing 🤔

Iain

• Like 1

Well I didnt expect that 

Thank you ALL for your support, and rather than replying individually I just want to say thank you all!!!!  I just woke up (Monday morning here) your replies are a little overwhelming to me. I carefully read each reply here and on LSP with a smile. 

I was just feeling the boost I needed from what you all said so picked the kit up and taped as much together as I could and flew it around my room, studying the beast from different angles and remembering how much I love the Spey Phantom and why I started this in the beginning.  Thinking I might get back to it I opened my emails and....

This was there from my good friend Kerry! He is making some cans for me with all internal details

na55FY.jpg

Well...she's all go again!  

You guys rock and thanks for your support.  Kerry if you are reading this mate I shall reply shortly!

I might study the wing to fuse shapes for a bit and make sure I am getting that 'coke bottle' right then finish off those intakes.

Cheers everyone, I love this community!

Anthony

• Like 6

11 hours ago, (ex)Sgtrafman said:

Hey Anthony 

Yeah the loss of mojo can be a real bummer, we ALL suffer with it from time to time but a change is as good as a rest so you do whatever you need to to enable you to get back in the zone with this one.

However the amount of work that you are putting into this is staggering and once it is finished it will be a stunner...did I hear tails of a full sized Auster? Ummm how intriguing 🤔

Iain

Oh yes Iain, I am rebuilding an ex RAF/RHKAAF Auster T.7 to fly again.  She is slowly coming together in full original military fit out. 

My modelling has ramped up this past year as I have needed a break from 10 years rebuilding her from a right basket case, to just about ready to re fabric the fuse (hopefully late this year)

I have too much going on with my hobbies LOL

Edited by Anthony in NZ
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Excellent,  glad you are carrying on.  Didn't realise you are doing an real Auster too, crikey, sounds lovely.   I have a mkIII in the stash  to do having searched and attempted to get for ages, got lucky one day on Ebay. Lovely aircraft. Good luck with both your builds.  

Chris

• Like 1

Anthony, I'm glad that you found the passion for a British Phantom once more🙂

Tamiya's big Phantom is a very demanding kit, even if you are building the F-4J "simply Out of the Box". There are so many inaccuracies and so few proper details. I lost my mojo with "The Project", then got it back again, lost it once more and so on. The model still lacks that final touch. But I will get there and hope to see your FGR.2 finished as well!

Your passion for accurate details, measurements and shapes is very inspirational, so keep on going🙂

Cheers,

Antti

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Great news. Glad to hear that you're up and running again. You've got quite a following, you know, all rooting for you.

Your painstaking work is really visibly paying off.

Q

• Like 1

On 2/1/2021 at 9:21 AM, Antti_K said:

Anthony, I'm glad that you found the passion for a British Phantom once more🙂

Tamiya's big Phantom is a very demanding kit, even if you are building the F-4J "simply Out of the Box". There are so many inaccuracies and so few proper details. I lost my mojo with "The Project", then got it back again, lost it once more and so on. The model still lacks that final touch. But I will get there and hope to see your FGR.2 finished as well!

Your passion for accurate details, measurements and shapes is very inspirational, so keep on going🙂

Cheers,

Antti

Thank you Antti, you have been a real driving force for me behind the scenes and your advice on the kit itself before I started was an enormous help!  It means a lot to have your approval as I know you know this subject very well.

On 2/1/2021 at 9:40 AM, Dr. Quack said:

Great news. Glad to hear that you're up and running again. You've got quite a following, you know, all rooting for you.

Your painstaking work is really visibly paying off.

Q

Thanks Doc!  I appreciate your encouragement with this and of course your inspiration through your build in 48th...man I love that!

Whilst I dont have a lot to show on the plastic front (although you will all be pleased to know the bleed Air sections are now all boxed up) I am just tidying them up ready for a shot of primer so I can do one more tidy up before the fins are added inside.

But I present to you Kerry's Can CAD update

Rw7Kfn.jpg

Cheers Anthony

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Small update, but a big milestone for me!

Fins going in finally.  Fitting each one individually seems to be the best/tidiest way to go About 120 off individual fins to go, then I can glue the intakes on!

I'd  say, that is a great job so far, definitely a big step, I remember you not looking forward to this bit, but they look very neat. 

Chris

1 minute ago, bigbadbadge said:

I'd  say, that is a great job so far, definitely a big step, I remember you not looking forward to this bit, but they look very neat. 

Chris

Thanks mate, yes it will be time consuming, especially getting everything perfectly lined up.  But it is not as bad as I thought it was going to be....I might think differently at the end LOL

• Like 1

Lovely work Anthony! Do you use a "spacer" of some sort or just working with Mk 1 Eyeball, nerves of steel and very, very steady hand? -I'm staring at my Hasegawa 1/48 scale FG.1 and wondering how on Earth I will fix these air outlets... We'll see, said the Zen master.

Cheers,

Antti

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Antti_K said:

Lovely work Anthony! Do you use a "spacer" of some sort or just working with Mk 1 Eyeball, nerves of steel and very, very steady hand? -I'm staring at my Hasegawa 1/48 scale FG.1 and wondering how on Earth I will fix these air outlets... We'll see, said the Zen master.

Cheers,

Antti

Thanks Antti

Mk1 eyeball (with a big magnifier), frayed steel nerve endings and a shaky hand, LOL its true.  I am just too much of a perfectionist and it probably takes me 5x longer than it would anyone else!

Although I do use the thickness of the scalpel blade to help keep it even as possible

Edited by Anthony in NZ
  • Like 2

Oh wow that is lovely work! Blimey even when I’ve got my best concentration head on and my least shaky pair of hands I ‘d still struggle to get my work as uniform and as neat as that - Seriously good that! You might have given me the kick up the backside to get out to the man cave and actually do some work on my Phantom 👍

I actually let out a little expletive when I first saw it 😊

stay safe

Iain

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, (ex)Sgtrafman said:

Oh wow that is lovely work! Blimey even when I’ve got my best concentration head on and my least shaky pair of hands I ‘d still struggle to get my work as uniform and as neat as that - Seriously good that! You might have given me the kick up the backside to get out to the man cave and actually do some work on my Phantom 👍

I actually let out a little expletive when I first saw it 😊

stay safe

Iain

Thank you Iain, glad you like it buddy.  Yes I need to see more work on yours for inspiration!  Chop chop....

• Like 1