1/32 Brit Phantom FG.1 XV571 conversion from Tamiya and Wild Hare set

Hi all

Well this is my first WIP on BM, I don't frequent many modelling sites these days and spend most of my time on LSP (Largescale Planes) due to the fact I usually only build 1/32 (oh and superdetailing a 24th Mossie).

Anyway, Britmodeller has always been a site I loved from the minute I joined, there are so many helpful and knowledgeable people here and so happy to help.  I have been given great info on the Brit Phantom which I used to know very little about, except for the fact I always loved this version of Phantom. I FINALLY managed to get a copy of the Wild Hare conversion from my buddy Mike and decided it was time.

Here is a link to my detailed approach to the conversion so far, and to be fair, I am not really using much of the resin conversion.  If I were to do this again I would use very little.  Although full respect to Frank Mitchell and Klaus for producing what they did as it made us mere mortals feel it was possible to make the best looking version of Phantom ever made!

RAF FG.1 XV571 WILD HARE Phantom Conversion - Works in Progress - Large Scale Planes

I will show some photos her of progress to where I am at now.  And then I will update the thread at the same time as LSP....sound like a plan?

Please step in and correct me where you see I need it, I am relying on others that know more to steer me in the right direction and correct  and direct me. I have spent many many hours studying info on the net and talking to different ones, and my hope is that the build will be a resource on all the differences needed pulled together for specific modelling purposes.

Also feel free to ask questions and I will do my best to answer.  There way more differences in the Brit Phantom than I ever could have possibly have realized!  I am no expert but am happy to help.

Here we go

Some random photo's of progress to date

The scheme chosen is this although right at the end of her time wearing this, recently I have been sent a phot of this bird looking a bit patchy and scruffy which is great because these Phantoms got dirty.  The trick is subtle 

fyUvgF.jpg

XrGq0a.jpg

UR7S2r.jpg

nYlVMn.jpg

Tamiya nose grafted on...

6BXjfJ.jpg

CpaZiE.jpg

Riveting and revised panel lines 

Nlb82J.jpg

82ecyp.jpg

Heat shield area very different

49jlsR.jpg

sd0kcP.jpg

Cut off back end after correcting panel lines and riveting

1DoE0T.jpg

mosyT2.jpg

pGOm9u.jpg

hywsAM.jpg

Slotted Horizontal Stab...

RW5ruk.jpg

These were completely reworked

yRugzi.jpg

As were all the surface details here

3Ol6YV.jpg

Getting there

M0QmPL.jpg

realized fin surface details were all wrong and needed revising

yHtaDf.jpg

Just added the left ILS blade antenna and about to put the right side on.

Then it is intakes....this is truly a minefield of shapes and sizes!

I will need your help here!

Anyway, that's a bit of a photoessay of what I am up to.  Thanks to all of you on BM who have helped me so much, I truly appreciate it!

I hope this is of interest

Cheers Anthony

• Like 48
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, Dr. Quack said:

Oh Wow!

A 32nd scale Spey FG1.....and such attention to detail.

Really can't wait to see more.

Magnificent start!

:clap:

All Together now...."Is There A Fighting Cock in the House??!!":clap:

Q:dunce:

Thank you Dr Quack!  Hope you enjoy this as much as I am enjoying your build!

5 hours ago, TallBlondJohn said:

No pictures...?

Hmmm, that's strange....I am getting pictures.  I have even tried different devices...strange

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, (ex)Sgtrafman said:

Morning

loving what your doing here, she is going to be  epic once finished.

Just to let you know I can see the pictures perfectly.

cheers buddy

Iain 

Thanks Iain!  Glad to have you along my friend!

4 minutes ago, CJP said:

I can see the photos in exquisite detail!

Thank you sir!  See....you eventually got me to post a WIP on BM after all this time!

Glad to know the pictures are visible...I am sorry John, I am not sure what I can do differently for you to see them??

Cheers

Anthony

• Like 3

Very nice start! The 'Wild Assn Hare' conversion that brought down Cutting Edge has led many a discussion on the modelling forums worldwide but its great to see you just getting on with it! 

As others have said, great attention to detail and this is looking great already. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Thanks Iain!  Glad to have you along my friend!

Thank you sir!  See....you eventually got me to post a WIP on BM after all this time!

Cheers

Anthony

Thats good mate - the more people who see your work the better

9 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Lovely will follow this, although I am no expert it looks amazing to me. 

Great work. 

Chris

That makes two of us! LOL  Thanks for following along, I appreciate your kind words

9 hours ago, 71chally said:

Glad you started a thread here @Anthony in NZ, I can see that this is a thoroughly researched, and superbly executed conversion/build of one if favourite types.

Thank you sir, and thank you very much for your assistance so far!

It's a pleasure to post my first WIP here, you are a great bunch!

6 hours ago, Alan P said:

Very nice start! The 'Wild bottom Hare' conversion that brought down Cutting Edge has led many a discussion on the modelling forums worldwide but its great to see you just getting on with it! 

As others have said, great attention to detail and this is looking great already. 

Thanks Alan!  Yes much has been said about this conversion.  But few if any I can find on line have been built it except Frank Mitchell himself.

I was a little nervous to start it and thought I should just look at it and pretend I will build it and what I *might* do it as one day.  But I have REALLY wanted a 32nd Brit Phantom for as long as I can remember.

Then my good buddy Mike sold me the kit and conversion for such a good price, then @Cees Broere started converting one and all sorts of discussions began on all the differences.

I realized then, that there was soooo much info out there that I might try and bring it all in together in one modelling post.

If you read the entire LSP thread you will notice many many differences

As you say... I just got to get on with it LOL

6 hours ago, CJP said:

Thats good mate - the more people who see your work the better

LOL, you're too kind!

5 hours ago, Cees Broere said:

Hi Anthony,

Good to see you here too.

This is a very fitting place for an RAF Toom.

Cees

Well this whole thing is partly your's and Mike's fault!  Sometimes I curse you for starting your build, but you are a great inspiration for mine!

You are correct it is a fitting place to build it here.

3 hours ago, HOUSTON said:

Anthony,

:wow:

AMAZING workmanship.

Neat and flawlessly  done.. 

and photos  are sharp and clear.

Keep it coming.

:worthy:

HOUSTON

Thank you so much for your encouragement is much appreciated.  I thought my photo's were a bit crap...so thank you!

3 hours ago, Dr. Quack said:

Hell, I'm enjoying yours MUCH more!!! :D

Well then it's good medicine for us both then Doc!

3 hours ago, Tailspin Turtle said:

Excellent - I noticed the dip in the fastener line in the heat shield but failed to realize that it represented a notable shape change: http://tailhooktopics.blogspot.com/2012/05/spey-powered-phantom-changes.html

I am so pleased to have you here!  Your site and information has played a major part in me tackling this, you gave me the info and inspiration to give it a go!

Thank you very much, and please point out any areas I am missing or getting wrong. You are one of my authorities on this subject!

Thanks again

And a HUGE thank's to all you BM'ers you certainly rock!

Another update soon....

Cheers Anthony 

• Like 4

Well the ILS/VOR blade antenna's are now fitted...It is official, I need to look at the intakes now🧐

I made new base plates for the antennas as the conversion ones were a little uneven and the edges were damaged in places.  so the white at the base is 10thou plasti-card.  A much nicer fit too.  The shape of the antennas was refined to match the originals a tiny bit better and scribed some details on.

uqxj0N.jpg

a0Q6hg.jpg

Did I mention the intakes terrify me?????

Thanks for your interest guys

Cheers Anthony

• Like 13

27 minutes ago, Anthony in NZ said:

That makes two of us! LOL  Thanks for following along, I appreciate your kind words

Thanks, I definitely am no aviation expert, I just like making aircraft models, I feel a tad intimidated sometimes posting on people's threads when there are a lot who know the type. Thanks for your kind words and nice blade aerials by the way.

Chris

• Like 1

The hackery has started...I honestly dont know what I am doing here.  But if I can figure out where the widening happens, sort the opening shape and size(depending on vari-ramp position) I can work back and sort the shapes out back to the fuse.

Below is starting from the left:

Kit intake with the ramp moved inwards to approx where I think it should be

Real Model resin intake set for std Phantom's (beautiful by the way with corrected surface details)

Wild Hare intakes which are waay too wide.

bA7O4M.jpg

h6jPNE.jpg

Anyway, I shall get to the bottom of this.

I am kinda hoping I might be able to correct the kit parts then grind off the trunking piece from Real Model part and insert it up inside the revised kit parts???

Time will tell...

Cheers Anthony

• Like 7

Hmmm, ok

Derek Bradshaw on LSP sent me some pics a couple of months ago of the intake measurements.  Looking at the other photo's taken on the day, they were taken with the vari-ramps closed (making the measurement easier as it gives me a measurement I can work off to match the closed ramp on the kit).

VNpQIr.jpg

This equates to 14.06mm (give or take a few microns.....

Wild Hare intakes are 17.1mm...way too big

I feel like I am getting somewhere

Edited by Anthony in NZ
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Sorry....me again

Now, Spey intakes are also shorter than the J79 counterpart.  Interestingly enough I placed the Real Model resin insert up to the kit part......

Look at that

F7cKTl.jpg

Not sure whats going on here.  But this means I wont have to shorten my kit part if I use this.  The reason also being as the ramp geometry is different on brit Toom's and the aft part is longer to the intake lip.  The start of the splitter is in exactly the same place as the 'J'.

Also interesting is that the shapes on this resin intake are quite different to the kit ones.  Comparing with photos, Miloslav has corrected the profile...very nice!

Oh, the kit intakes are 12.87mm wide, so there really is only a mm or 2 difference.

I think I am going mad.....I must be missing something here??? 

• Like 6

Great comparisons.

I always think that the larger K/M intakes thing is always a bit overblown, they are obviously larger but not noticeably that much so.

That last resin intake looks lovely, unsure how you would bo about shimming in the extra 2mm.

@Anthony in NZNZ No worries :)

- From links given to me and comments from others, it would appear that the height of the intake at it's opening does not change, but rather the shoulders are broader and flatter on top, giving that appearance of a taller intake. There is a gradual increase in height leading to an apex at the rear of the canopy, beyond which you are in the area of the Speys and the work you've already done.

Looking at what is cut out and replaced the conversion actually looks equally achievable from both the Revell and Tamiya fuselages, with the exception of intake trunking of course. 

I plan to remove the section of fuselage behind and below of the wing's trailing edge, scratch new parallel sections to fit and match the increased angle of the lower fuselage. 

Cheers,

WV908