E-3D Sentry (AWACS) VIII Squadron RAF Anniversary scheme - Airfix 1/72

Very nice build.

Thoughtful and kind hearted build too, I’m retired RCAF and I currently work cancer care, too many people are gone too soon due to cancer.

Edited by Scooby
  • Like 2

A few notes on the build, it didn't seem appropriate to put them in the main post.

There are a few errors that need correcting, the most obvious of which is that the inboard engines will touch the ground unless you do something about them. All the engine pylons are way too deep, so I cut the engine pods off, reduced the depth of the pylons, and the re-attached the pods. 

sentry7.jpg

The wingtips are curved back, as the kit was originally a civil 707. On the Sentry the leading edge is straight all the way along. Some plasticard wedges and filler solved this problem.

s17.jpg

The aerials on the wingtip are much too small, so I made some with plasticard and brass wire. Also Airfix show them too far outboard, so I relocated them about 1 cm further inboard.

s25a.jpg

Finally, I added the crew so that the new owners of the model can see them through the cockpit windows!

sentry1.jpg

John

• Like 20

What a great tribute.

Thanks for the tip re. the engines/pylons - I have this slowly moving up the stash and will modify accordingly.

Tom

• Like 1

• Viking changed the title to E-3D Sentry (AWACS) VIII Squadron RAF Anniversary scheme - Airfix 1/72