Mircro-Mir 1/48 Supermarine Napier S5 N220 float plane

6 minutes ago, Putty Animal said:

Wow, that is fantastic.  It doesn't get much better than that.  Thank you very much for sharing it.  I have a feeling that is going to come in very handy!

No problem at all, but did you say you were doing the 1/72 scale? I doff my cap sir!

• Haha 1

• 4 months later...

Hi Mike,

Came to your excellent build via Putty Animals amazing S5. Looks really good.

I think that the S.5, with it's Napier Lion engine, is the best looking of the Supermarine Schneider Trophy racers and I'm looking forward to building it in 1/72 (the AMP kit) to accompany my S.6 on the shelf. Thanks for posting the plans which will be great when I eventually get round to my S.5

Best wishes,

• Thanks 1

On 6/22/2021 at 7:33 PM, Johnson said:

Hi Mike,

Came to your excellent build via Putty Animals amazing S5. Looks really good.

I think that the S.5, with it's Napier Lion engine, is the best looking of the Supermarine Schneider Trophy racers and I'm looking forward to building it in 1/72 (the AMP kit) to accompany my S.6 on the shelf. Thanks for posting the plans which will be great when I eventually get round to my S.5

Best wishes,

Cheers!

Yes, I would like to add to the the Supermarine Schneider stable with an S6, maybe even an S4? And of course going back earlier, to the Sealion flying boats. Working in 1/48 is a little restrictive though. I was an underbidder on the Hawk/Testors 1/48 S6 a few days ago, but I set myself a limit of £10. The going rate seems to be more like £15 atm. Seems a lot for the couple of bits of plastic you get in the kit!

I'm still way into the Stranraer build at the moment, but seeing Puttys jewell of a little 1/144 S5 has rekindled my interest in this build again. There are a few finishing touches I'm keen to work on. Mainly details like ropes, chocks and straps for the trolley, and the ladder.
And another Napier Lion tangent - I'd love to make the Supermarine Southampton! I think my only option is the Silverwings offering in 1/72? I'm holding off getting one, mainly the expense, but also I want to see how I get on with the rigging on the Stranraer first.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

I think I'm done on the Dornier, so while I was trying to shoehorn it into the cabinet behind me out of harms way (another story I may put on the build thread) I had a bit of a sort out, and remembered I wanted to add a ladder to the S5.

I'm not sure I like this but it is the first attempt. Just plastic rod so I think it's a little crude. I may take it out again in another 18 months and have another bash.

52613439880_8583196595_c.jpg

Made a little ladder for the S5 by Mike, on Flickr

• Like 8

Mike,

Nice to see this one pop up again - I think the ladder looks just the ticket!

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 2