Quick Sea Harrier question.

At Sea

I am building XZ499 as it was at the time of the last air-to-air kill in the Falklands.

I plan to build it in flight and on the way back to Hermes.

Is there an order in which a Sea Harrier would launch it's Sidewinders?  Port or Stbd first, or would it be selectable by the Pilot. 

Does anyone know or have a picture of XZ499 recovering to deck at the time?  

I presume Lt David Smith's aircraft would have come back with one missile aboard?

Thanks in advance.

21 hours ago, Wolf said:

You mean recovering Sharr with at.least one Sidewinder?

Correct. My plan is to build XZ499 as she would have looked en route back to Hermes after combat.  So a single Sidewinder on the Stbd wing and a empty rail on Port.

I see the question has been raised on Pprune. Both David Smith and Dave Morgan post on there. Although the former makes only rare appearances, 'Moggy' is a regular contributor and generous in his answering these sorts of questions, so I suspect that what might be described as 'an authoritative answer' might be inbound before too long...

• Like 1

Yeah that’s me. He said that indeed it’s Pilot selected so not automated. He’s given me another name who would know for that return flight for you. I’ll wait for an answer and post back👍.

• Like 1

Well the answer came as landed on with starboard Sidewinder still fitted, but the rest is hazy as it was along time ago. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, speedy said:

Well the answer came as landed on with starboard Sidewinder still fitted, but the rest is hazy as it was along time ago. Hope this helps.

That's amazing!  Thank you.

On 08/12/2020 at 11:36, Paramedic said:

Recommended I presume?  I loved Morgan´s and Ward´s - what is this about then? The general story of the SHARs (and crabs´) in the Falklands War?

Heartily recommended.  The main gist of the story is the standing up of 809 NAS as a 3rd SHAR squadron to supplement 800 and 801.  And the scraping together of airframes and pilots to man it.  Some pilots headed South with less Sea Harrier time than BoB pilots had Spitfire time!  It also covers Nimrod operations from Christmas Island, the attempt to fly Canberras from a Chilean highway and the various means of stopping Argentina getting more Exocets.  It also covers Atlantic Conveyor and her conversion to a kind of carrier and eventual demise.  The stories are told from both sides as well.

Al.

• Like 2