Fantasy Printshop solid color decal sheets

Giorgio N

Has anybody here used the solid color decal sheets made by Fantasy Printshop ? Thinking of these ones:

https://www.fantasyprintshop.co.uk/decals/aircraft-decals/fantasy-printshop-decals/a5-block-colour/

I've recently made some markings by cutting them directly from a white solid sheet from another manufacturer with good results and I see that Fantasy Printshop have some interesting colours available, particularly for British aircraft. What I wonder though is if these decal sheets are well printed, if they are opaque enough to cover say a camouflaged model without having the demarcation showing through and if they can be cut nicely. Anyone who has any experience and can answer these doubts ?

Thanks in advance !

I use the white backing discs for British roundels and they are not fully opaque, are incredibly thin and can break up quite easily. However with a coat of Decalfix they behave themselves. I think they are so thin so as not to make the roundel that goes over the so thick. Their normal decals are fine and I would have thought the solid colour ones would be alright. I fancy some for cheat lines etc. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the info ! If they are so thin and fragile then I may have problems with the idea I have in mind... cutting say a letter from a solid decal sheet already means having to be extra careful in applying it, if the decal is fragile the risk of damage is very high. Have to say that if they are very thin then not being fully opaque is less of a problem as it's possible to apply one over the other with little problem. Decisions, decisions,... they are only a fiver each so I may try a couple and see what they are like...

Tauromodel also offer similar sheets but IMHO they are not printed too nicely, I have a dark blue sheet were the colour is not nicely uniform across the sheet as I'd like.

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm, I was looking at these sheets to cut some replacement decals for my Fouga Magister from AMK. The kit was generally excellent, but the decals where not. They took an age to release, did not slide, did not adhere well and broke up very easily. This is even after applications of micro sol and micro set. I still need to add the white stipes on the wing tip tanks but they have a 2D curve, so it's a big ask for any waterslide decal anyway.

Logically I would mask the tip tanks up and spray the white in, but the adhesion problems I have had with acrylic paints has me worried that that route could end in disaster also.

Probably worth a try though.

John 🤶

• 2 months later...

Following my last post I finally got around to adding the missing wing tip white stripe on my Fouga Magister. The Fantasy Printshop Solid White sheet was employed with great success. The only thing is it took me about 3 goes to cut a stripe that matched the one on the other tip. It is not a simple parallel stripe. It starts at arund 2mm thick, widens to about 3mm and the tapers to a point at the traling edge. No straight lines, all subtle curves. Its amazing in modelling how suddenlt a relatively simple task can become a challenge.

The decal sheet went on well. It conformed to the curces with the help ot micro set and micro sol. It showed no sign of cracking or flaking off like the kit decals and it is fully opaque. I will use again without hesitation.

John

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1