Airfix 24th scale Merlin engines

geedubelyer

Hello folks,

May I pick everyone’s collective brains please?

I am thinking out loud really but wondered whether the two RR Merlins included with the Mosquito kit are much better than the ones in the older Spitfire or Hurricane kits?

For those who have both kits, what would you say?

Also, if as I expect, they are better could one be swapped into a Hurricane or Spitfire to jazz the old kits up a bit?

I imagine that they aren’t the same mark of engine but do they differ enormously?

A plan formed in my tiny mind and I’m wondering how feasible it might be?

What are everyone’s thoughts on the matter?

*Edit: Perhaps it’s already been done and if so there might be a build thread that you know of? 

Please could you share a link if you have one? Thanks.

Cheers 

Edited by geedubelyer

The Merlin 24 is a close relative to the Merlin XX in the Hurricane.  However it has a two-stage gearbox on the back and this was not seen on any early Spitfire other than the Mk.III prototypes.  So the majority of the engine would be ok but some surgery and scratch-building would be needed at the rear. For later two-stage engines you'd need an additional supercharger section and an intercooler.

• Thanks 1

Apart from them being various different marks they are all different quality efforts. The Hurricane engine is a much better one than the Spitfire engine and the Mustang engine is better than both (and makes the basis of a IX conversion of the Spit I / V kit).  

It's a long time since I saw my 1/24 Mosquito, but I imagine those are better again than all the 1970s-tooled ones

• Thanks 1

@Graham BoakBoak. Thanks Graham. 

I wonder if it could be possible to combine the engines? Perhaps the Spitfire gearbox could be persuaded to fit the Mossie engine if the latter is significantly better than the Spitfire engine?🤔

@Work In Progress Thanks WIP.

I seem to recall the Mustang engine being better than the Spitfire when I built them way back when. 

My reasoning for considering the Mossie engine was that there might be more of them languishing in folk's stash

🤭

Edited by geedubelyer

• 11 months later...

It may be worth looking into 3d resin printing

I am looking to start a Douglas Bader 222 Squadron Spitfire in both 1/48 and 1/24 scale

the starting point is the 1/24 Merlin, which I have started work on

Early samples, still needs refinement:

51703998693_c7313378fe_b.jpg

51704392504_9cf5a99a1f_b.jpg

• Like 1