1/48 - Curtiss H-75/P-36 Hawk by Clear Prop Models - H-75O & H-75N Hawk released - H-75M in 2023

Homebee

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

seeing the sprues and instructions sheets I note some wrong details:

3.png
the control stick had two tubes only, one torque tube for aileron and one rod push pull for elevator. This rod was in center line on H75-81/P36-40C, and had right offset on P40D/H87 up,, so the part E26 must be ommitted.

the hydraulic hand pump was a double cylinder and the shape of handle was curved as a "?", not straight as E22

There was not shoulder straps(PE1) but a safety belt only

on top of wing if the size of ammo door is correct, the little door to loaded the gun is too narrow, it is near square shape.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Looking really nice. Interesting that the seat is again has overly thick sides, just like the 109E, A5M and Ki51. Seems to be a trait of the CP/Wingsy kits. Not a problem just strange considering the high quality of the rest of the kits.

9 hours ago, Tbolt said:

Looking really nice. Interesting that the seat is again has overly thick sides, just like the 109E, A5M and Ki51. Seems to be a trait of the CP/Wingsy kits. Not a problem just strange considering the high quality of the rest of the kits.

Technological issues often do not allow you to make parts as thin as you would like them to be. The flow of material, ease of removing the moulded part from the mould and so on come into play.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Piotr Mikolajski said:

Technological issues often do not allow you to make parts as thin as you would like them to be. The flow of material, ease of removing the moulded part from the mould and so on come into play.

Yet there's a lot older kits that have seats with nice thin sides, is this just down to the mold design or a lower pressure used? I know a lot of kits have prop blades that are too thick towards the tip, but a few kits have very thin blades. Are they usually made thicker to increase reliability of getting them moulded correctly?

1 hour ago, Tbolt said:

Yet there's a lot older kits that have seats with nice thin sides, is this just down to the mold design or a lower pressure used? I know a lot of kits have prop blades that are too thick towards the tip, but a few kits have very thin blades. Are they usually made thicker to increase reliability of getting them moulded correctly?

I talked with a few designers and there are really so many technological factors, far beyond my knowledge to repeat and explain all of them correctly. Long story short - kit designers have to reconcile a mass of factors. Low design cost and as few moulds as possible while retaining flexibility in the number of versions and ultimately the number of boxes / options. Historical fidelity and a high level of parts detail with ease of injection moulding and the lowest possible injection loss. Ease of build and high product quality both in the box and after assembly.

The thickness of the element may even depend on where on the sprue it will be located and what the plastic flow simulation shows. Sometimes even change of plastic or its components make slight difference in dimensions of the part. Not huge, but still - this is another factor, hard to predict by the designer and mould maker. This really is a huge amount of knowledge that most modellers have no idea about. Quite rightly, after all, they are interested in the kit, not in designing it at home. I'm pretty sure, in case of such elements, designer doesn't give a flying flamingo - this is the kind of part where you easily sacrifice nice thickness to get some benefits. Most modellers don't care and those, who care, probably will use PE parts anyway.

• Like 1

• Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - Curtiss H-75/P-36 Hawk by Clear Prop Models - H-75O & H-75N Hawk released
  • 4 months later...
4 hours ago, Mike Esposito said:

Where is the Chinese version? 

I see that there was supposed to be a CAMCO version built for the Chinese, but don't see the decals for it. 

Looks like they removed it and added second Argentine airframe, which is a shame as that not much variation in that box.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Fernando said:

Hi, gentlemen!

Unfortunately, the windscreen is incorrect for a H75O. It should be rounded á la P-36 or P-40B.

Fernando

Interesting, I've seen photo of some H75-0's with the flat windscreen, so was there a change at some point during production? 

This one looks flat to me, which is one of the aircraft schemes in the box.

75-3.jpg.bfe5acdad7e7cd6ce86431538b61c76

a79f6295dfc26817ae0185f44b9b446d--scale-

Here's another H75-O 629, which clearly has s flat windscreen.

521b0fb30e35f3158cf04585841b0655.jpg

Here's 627 and 639 which both have the rounded windscreen.

curtiss%20hawk%2075-o%20argentina.jpg?cr

628 and 639 look to have rounded windscreens and 638 and 649 the flat one. 607, the other scheme in the kit looks like it's also flat, though the photo I have isn't that clear.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi, Tbolt,

Beware that in the pictures of the supposed "flat" windscreen, what we are seeing might be just paralell vertical frames, and not a true flat windscreen (much like in P-40s). The base of the windscreen still seems curved in them all (in the kit the base is definitely straight) In the only picture clearly showing the base of the windscreen, these are undoubtely rounded. Moreover, there always looks to be some glass ahead of the frames, which hints at a curved surface. The serial numbers (assuming the manufacture and the s.n. adjudication was linear) do not agree to a modification in the production run (these planes were virtually individually hand-made, a modification is very possible) Might be a retrofit? No, unfortunately I cannot upload pictures from URL.

Regards,

Fernando

Edited by Fernando
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Fernando said:

Hi, Tbolt,

Beware that in the pictures of the supposed "flat" windscreen, what we are seeing might be just paralell vertical frames, and not a true flat windscreen (much like in P-40s). The base of the windscreen still seems curved in them all (in the kit the base is definitely straight) In the only picture clearly showing the base of the windscreen, these are undoubtely rounded. Moreover, there always looks to be some glass ahead of the frames, which hints at a curved surface. The serial numbers (assuming the manufacture and the s.n. adjudication was linear) do not agree to a modification in the production run (these planes were virtually individually hand-made, a modification is very possible) Might be a retrofit? No, unfortunately I cannot upload pictures from URL.

Regards,

Fernando

You maybe right, but the way the light reflects of the windscreen in this photo makes it look flat.

521b0fb30e35f3158cf04585841b0655.jpg

This airframe also seems to have what looks like a flat windscreen.

2022-01-18_06-17-01

2022-01-18_06-13-33

• Like 1

Hi, Tbolt,

Those two pictures puzzle me. Sure are they Argentinean examples? Are they showing the same machine? See, the light series bomb carrier shown on the starboard wing in the first photo does not replicate on the port wing in the second. The wing gun is missing. The pants cover the wheels. Are the photos doctored in any way?

Regards,

Fernando

• Confused 1

On 1/19/2022 at 2:15 AM, Fernando said:

Hi, Tbolt,

Those two pictures puzzle me. Sure are they Argentinean examples? Are they showing the same machine? See, the light series bomb carrier shown on the starboard wing in the first photo does not replicate on the port wing in the second. The wing gun is missing. The pants cover the wheels. Are the photos doctored in any way?

Regards,

Fernando

It's the first 75-O before being delivered to Argentina, the first photo is apparently taken the day after the second photo once the aircraft had been armed. This is from the Curtiss Design 75 Hawk book. There's no serial number on this aircraft, so I'm not sure what airframe it was but it could be 601 (12768).

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

New boxing in 2023

1/48th - ref. 48??? - Curtiss H-75M Hawk - RoCAF

Source: https://static.tildacdn.com/tild6361-3236-4261-a430-326561626566/H-7506011400cropped.png

H75M.png

H-7506011400cropped.png

1/72nd - ref. 72??? - Curtiss H-75M Hawk - RoCAF

Source: https://static.tildacdn.com/tild6635-3935-4239-b664-306664306461/H-7505011400cropped.png

H75M2.png

H-7505011400cropped.png

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 7

• Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - Curtiss H-75/P-36 Hawk by Clear Prop Models - H-75O & H-75N Hawk released - H-75M in 2023