1/48 Tamiya P-38H

Ahh, I did think my WIP would be the “first of many”. Nice to see you on board, it’s a cracking kit. I reckon you could paint most of it on the sprues as construction is so cleverly engineered. I’ve not found any issues as yet, though if I were to do another, I’d probably not bother with an AM cockpit set. Not that there’s anything wrong with a nice bit of etch, but the kit stuff is pretty good anyway and the instrument panel can’t be seen that well once the coaming is on.

Tamiya reckon silver for the wheel bays, but what limited research I’ve done indicates that light grey might be more likely.

• Like 1

Started getting some paint on the interior of the Lightning. I first primered the parts with Mr surfacer 1500 black. Then sprayed the Ak real color interio green . Some sings in the interior was masked off and sprayed with ak real color black and the rest hand painted. Next for gloss coat and wash :)

50680727562_eb3de2ac22_b.jpg

50680727587_41f515f6fa_b.jpg

50680727577_c217335957_b.jpg

50680652731_f5ebbe9a8e_b.jpg

50679893643_9455496420_b.jpg

50679893618_dc4971426a_b.jpg

Brian

Edited by F-104 nut
  • Like 4

Looking good, so far Brian! I think I'm correct in remembering  reading something by Dana Bell that the wheel bays were neutral grey and the struts would be  painted aluminum or sometimes  neutral grey. Inner surfaces of the gear doors were also in neutral grey. This would be on Lightnings delivered in camouflage. IPMS Stockholm also had pretty much the same description in their two-part article on US aircraft interiors. See the attached link.

Mike

https://www.ipmsstockholm.org/magazine/2004/02/stuff_eng_interior_colours_us_part2.htm

1 hour ago, 72modeler said:

Looking good, so far Brian! I think I'm correct in remembering  reading something by Dana Bell that the wheel bays were neutral grey and the struts would be  painted aluminum or sometimes  neutral grey. Inner surfaces of the gear doors were also in neutral grey. This would be on Lightnings delivered in camouflage. IPMS Stockholm also had pretty much the same description in their two-part article on US aircraft interiors. See the attached link.

Mike

https://www.ipmsstockholm.org/magazine/2004/02/stuff_eng_interior_colours_us_part2.htm

Thanks for the heads up on the gear well color. I have heard this from severa others . I am going for the neutal grey wheel wells :)

9 hours ago, F-104 nut said:

I am going for the neutal grey wheel wells

Sounds like a plan, although I think the inner surfaces of the gear doors could  sometimes be painted aluminum...is this a great hobby, or what? Hmmmm...that just reminded me I took a bunch of photos of P-38E Glacier Girl at one of our Randolph AB airshows; I'll see if I took any of the wheel bays/gear doors and get back to you. She is based here where I live as part of local oil/gas tycoon Rod Lewis' collection.

Mike

Yep- found 'em! The restored Lightning has aluminum painted gear struts and inner gear door surfaces, which was a possibility. Even though the restoration was done to a high standard, I'm not sure if the colors for the wheel bays/doors are correct; it also appears a commercially available yellow zinc chromate was used on the interior structures that were visible, very similar to the primer used on Sea Furies and modern day commerical airliners. PM me if you are interested in any of the photos, as I still haven't set up a photo hosting site to allow posting- sorry! See the link to some photos of her from the Rod Lewis website.

Mike 

https://lewisairlegends.com/p38f-lightning

https://lewisairlegends.com/p38f-lightning

Edited by 72modeler
added text, added link
  • Like 1

Making some progress on the Lightning office. Today i got oil wash on and flat finish sprayed. I use Model Master silver and #1 flat brush to dry brush the waer and tear on the cockpit . Next to seather the restof the cockpit . Then final touches before assemble. 

5CF19EB1-9ECA-4CE5-8A8F-4018DF4A01A4

D59A5933-4B71-4FBC-9292-62A7A73D2329

37909F09-8A05-429E-96DC-3BCB7D66A708

0453F0D7-810D-4B9E-95EA-491678595A1C

591E822F-1567-489A-A1D3-DDBBEBD43C6F

Brian

• Like 5

Some more progress on the Lightning interior. Instrument panel complete, Dry brushed the raised detail with model master silver and hand painted some detail, For the glass i applied several drops of future floor wax, Stll a few more parts to finuish before cockpit is done. The radion are just needs needs one other part painted  :)

C4E91E9E-CDA9-4619-92A2-38EB44AA23E6

F37579D8-68DE-4713-90C4-4FCF9E1F75E1

8FFB9F88-8F60-4FB5-9BBD-9BCE17493C1F

Brian

• Like 6

@F-104 nut very nice start, really looking forward to seeing you progress through this kit.   
I am very impressed by the cockpit detailing. 
would you explain the dry brush technique?    
not trying to derail your thread🙃

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Gantt said:

@F-104 nut very nice start, really looking forward to seeing you progress through this kit.   
I am very impressed by the cockpit detailing. 
would you explain the dry brush technique?    
not trying to derail your thread🙃

Thanksa isent a message :)

• Like 1

On 12/9/2020 at 8:52 AM, 72modeler said:

@F-104 nut

Brian,

Only one throttle lever, or are they siamesed in the kit? Hard to tell from the photos- looking very good, though! I hear this kit falls together, just like their 1/48 P-47D's.

Mike

So very sad that this is one thing so many model companies miss on  new model kits ☹️

Edited by F-104 nut

Last few days i spent painting and weathering the lightning gear bays. I decided on this build to go with neutral grey for the wheel bay colors.  Now to start assembling the booms and center wing section. I am goin go paint this with the booms seperate from the wing. Seems lots of people are doing it with sucesss . Enjoy :)

50711703578_4d63941fab_b.jpg

50712433996_882d74aa30_b.jpg

50712519372_c43f68a0ff_b.jpg

50712433771_71ca604eef_b.jpg

50712433981_e59934c102_b.jpg

50712517332_d421314065_b.jpg

50712519557_7e5a0d019d_b.jpg

Brian

• Like 5

I tried to keep the booms separate, but when I glued the small rectangular intake panels in place, they locked the whole boom assembly together. This may have been casued by thin liquid glue making its way into joints that should have been glue free, or it may be that they act as a mechanical key. Or both.... Either way, I ended up having to paint with the booms on which was a shame and does make handling the whole thing a bit tricker than I'd have liked. Good luck - it'll be good to see if you have more success than me.

Wheelbays look great by the way!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Chemguy3000 said:

Hello Brian-

Your painting skills are superb.  The cockpit is especially well rendered.

Just curious - what are the yellow circles in the MLG bays?

David

Not really sure I to am curious what they are . Thanks painting cockpits is my favorite parts of the model :)