Sanding twigs............for tighter spaces?

BlueNosers352nd

Anyone, specifically those in the US, found some good narrow sanding sticks (or sometimes called twigs)?  I have some of the Flory sticks, but would like to find something narrower yet.  I picked up some cheap sanding twigs and while they work for a while they break down or they crinkle up relatively quick and are not usable any more.  Something that gets in the tighter spaces.  Maybe I'll just buy more of the cheap ones, it's like $30 for 300.  But I tend to use the finer grits more and am stuck with the a bunch of unused heavier grits.

You might try jewelers abrasive cord. It comes in several diameters and grits.  On our side of the pond Micro Mark carries it but you may be able to find it at a store that specializes in handmade jewelry.

Lou in California

Edited by louiex2
  • Thanks 1

I've glued some 600 grit sandpaper to some toothpicks ( not the round ones, but the flat ones ) then trimmed it off with a hobby knife. Works pretty good.

50683706317_08bdc7f869_o.jpg

Chris

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I have some, but mostly use Swiss-pattern needle files. I have some smaller files, 0- and 2-cut with 1.75in cutting length and 3in overall, as well as some larger, 0-, 2-, 4-, 6-cut with 2.75in cutting length and 5.5in overall. I mostly use the equalling, crossover, and round files.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dogsbody said:

I've glued some 600 grit sandpaper to some toothpicks ( not the round ones, but the flat ones ) then trimmed it off with a hobby knife. Works pretty good.

I like that...............not sure what we have flat tooth pick wise in these parts.  But I have many $1000's worth of wood working equipment in the shop, I can probably manage something.

2 hours ago, BlueNosers352nd said:

I like that...............not sure what we have flat tooth pick wise in these parts.  But I have many $1000's worth of wood working equipment in the shop, I can probably manage something.

This is what's in the pantry. I'm not sure how old it is. Decades for sure. Check your local grocery store. Also check any craft stores. Look for Craft Sticks.

50683538483_013dde8049_o.jpg

Chris

13 hours ago, dnl42 said:

You might also look at this Inifini tool, a metal version of a reusable standing stick. They're relatively stiff, but not at all rigid.

I have a set of these and an assortment of sticky back sanding papers. They are nice shapes and well made but overall I was a little disappointed.

The problem is not the sticks but the self adhesive part of the sanding paper.  The adhesive part is relatively thick when compared with the narrow and thin sticks and I found the sticky edge becomes to prominent when creating very narrow sanders.  I found the very thin sticks quickly became gummy sticks rather than sanding sticks. 

BTW - this is using the official sanding sheets.

Cheers,

Nigel