Amodel 1/72 Ilyushin Il-14 Crate.

Hello all.

Finished this week is my Il-14. The kit is from Amodel in the usual short run style. The fit of parts was generally good (after clean up ) other than the wing bottom fuselage joint at the rear. This point took the most sanding and blending. Its pretty well from the box apart from my usual use of little lenses for landing/taxi lights and Kristal Klear for the cabin windows.

I was looking for an unusual scheme to finish the model in and came across a photo of an Albanian machine from the 60’s parked at Rome airport that was used for VIP transport. I liked it for its simplicity so went for that.  The national markings and number were homemade and the cheatlines were from the kits decal sheet. I used Xtra Colour white and Humbrol 27002 metallic paints with a little Promodeler wash and Tamiya weathering powder to finish it.

Hope you like it and thanks for looking.

Pete

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 55
  • Thanks 2

Very nice result.

Il 14 seemed to me in my youth on of the most dull machine on the sky, but now I think I was a bit wrong those days...

Regards

J-W

• Like 1

Wow!  As they'd say in Tirana: Shumë Mirë (Shoom Meer)!  Pete--you've been most productive these last few months and made this model look more attractive than the original aircraft.  CRATE is such the appropriate NATO code-name.  Did you use after-market masks on the cockpit greenhouse?

• Thanks 1

Remember seeing the Il-14s occasionally turn up at LHR in the early 60's, generally in Czech or Polish livery and invariably filthy - they lived up to their NATO moniker !

Built my model out of the box including box decals, but I like the  unusual scheme you've opted for, very original.

As you say, Pete, not a bad model for a limited run, although I junked the 2-part exhaust pipes for short lengths of brass rod - what a silly idea are the exhaust pipes !

A great result - congrats !

Rog

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good to see one of these built and even better with such a super result !!

Now if A-Model only would kit the Il-12 too in all the versions (I mean in 1/72, they already have one in 1/144)

IL-12-es_rep%C3%BCl%C5%91g%C3%A9pek._For

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, occa said:

Now if A-Model only would kit the Il-12 too in all the versions (I mean in 1/72, they already have one in 1/144)

Nice photo there Martin, thanks, I have the 1/144 kit of the Il-12, OOB will do me for the finish, I think the photo is the same.

Steve.

• Like 1

On 02/12/2020 at 19:55, Vesa Jussila said:

Nice work. And we seldom see these Albanian things. Nice exception.

Thank you. I like to do unusual schemes if I can.

23 hours ago, JWM said:

Il 14 seemed to me in my youth on of the most dull machine on the sky, but now I think I was a bit wrong those days...

Thank you.  I don't think it is such an unattractive aircraft either

22 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

She is gorgeous, Pete :). I remember that machine shown in a number of magazines at the time. Nice :)

Thanks Martin, this was the inspiration photo I found. Maybe the same one?         spacer.png

21 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Wow!  As they'd say in Tirana: Shumë Mirë (Shoom Meer)!  Pete--you've been most productive these last few months and made this model look more attractive than the original aircraft.  CRATE is such the appropriate NATO code-name.  Did you use after-market masks on the cockpit greenhouse?

Faleminderit 🙂.  No I didn't use aftermarket masks, I cut Tamiya tape into strips, line the edges of the frames and fill with Maskol.

10 hours ago, roginoz said:

As you say, Pete, not a bad model for a limited run, although I junked the 2-part exhaust pipes for short lengths of brass rod - what a silly idea are the exhaust pipes !

A great result - congrats !

Cheers Rog. I replaced them as well, wiith plastic tube. Seems to be something Amodel do quite a bit.

1 hour ago, Bangseat said:

Superb build! Good to know these kits can polish up so well. Maybe a Tu-134 next?

Many thanks. Some polish better than others!😄. I posted my Tu-134 a few weeks ago, its still around somewhere in these pages if you would like to see it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pete in a shed said:

Thanks Martin, this was the inspiration photo I found. Maybe the same one?

No, Pete. The photo I recall was a front three quarter view and maybe taken in Bari?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Pete in a shed said:

I posted my Tu-134 a few weeks ago, its still around somewhere in these pages if you would like to see it.

Oh yes, and I liked it! Dear oh dear, there's lockdown brain in action...

• Haha 1