Canadian GB Chat

zebra

I don't think we've ever had a Canadian group build - not one that I can remember anyway. From an aircraft builder's point of view there are plenty of interesting aircraft that have been built in Canada, whether locally designed (like Chipmunks, Otters, Caribou, the CF-100 and CF-105) or licence-built (Canadair Sabres, CF-104s, various WWII types), plenty of interesting foreign aircraft operated in Canada, then there are Canadian units in the RAF. I expect there's probably similar variety for armour and ship builders too. And we could also allow things associated with individual Canadians, like cars driven by Jacques and Gilles Villeneuve - might even allow cars driven by Dan Aykroyd (like the Blues Brothers' car or Ghostbusters ambulance).

So the simple rules would be:

Anything made in Canada to a local design, whether in Canadian or foreign use.

Anything licence-built in Canada, whether in Canadian or foreign use (eg Canadair Sabre in the RAF)

Anything operated by Canadian units in overseas forces (eg Canadian squadrons in the RAF)

Anything made overseas and in Canadian use (ie in Canadian colour scheme or markings, or Canadian registered)

Anything clearly associated with individual Canadians (eg cars driven by Jacques and Gilles Villeneuve)

Anything foreign and based in Canada (eg overseas training units based in Canada during WWII)

Tenuous Canadian links are good too, as long as there’s something clearly Canadian about it, like the Canadarm on the Space Shuttle, but check with the (generous, welcoming and lenient) host.

Anyone else interested?

The list:

1. Zebra

2. Wez

3. Paul J

4.Modelling Minion

5. desert falcon

6. ChrisJ2003

7. Vingtor

8. Rabbit Leader

9. Anatol Pigwa

10. Corsairfoxfouruncle

11. Learstang

12. TEMPESTMK5

13. Andwil

14. bigbadbadge

15. CliffB

16. Foxbat

17. dnl42

18. Franky boy

19. klr

20. boatneck

21. JackG

22. Romeo Alpha Yankee

23. Stevehnz

24. JeroenS

25. alt-92

26. chrispisme 

27. German Armour

28. TonyOD

29. fatfingers

30. Jabba

31. vppelt68

32. Beazer

33. Jb65rams

34. TimJ

35. Busnproplinerfan 

36. wellzy

37. moaning dolphin

38. At Sea

39. theplasticsurgeon

40. Ted

41. John Masters

42. Nimrod54

43. Arniec

44. Cuppa_joe

45. badger

46. Rafwaffe

47. Robert Stuart

48. Tcoat

49. Adrian Hills

50. Rob S

51. Grandboof

52. Richard Tucker

53. Swamp Donkey

54. davecov

55. Gordon Parker

56. psdavidson

57. RaceAddict

58. Sergeant

59. ColonelKrypton

60. PlaStix

• Like 4

Yes!  I'm in for this!

Given the number of Canadians on Britmodeller I'm surprised it's taken so long for somebody to suggest this!  Count me in.

• Like 2

Sign me up please.  I have been taking a little break from my 'all things Canadian ' builds but can and am happy to add to them.  Got lots to choose from and an abundance of 1/72 decals...    KIt wise again several subjects including the Hobbycraft Arrow and Beaver and Otter...and so on.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Wez said:

Yes!  I'm in for this!

Given the number of Canadians on Britmodeller I'm surprised it's taken so long for somebody to suggest this!  Count me in.

1 minute ago, Paul J said:

Sign me up please.  I have been taking a little break from my 'all things Canadian ' builds but can and am happy to add to them.

You're both on the list!

28 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Oh yes, you can add my name to the list Julian.

Quick question, would a Leopard tank used by Canada based in Germany qualify?

Yes, under the rule that I forgot to add and have now added - anything made overseas and in Canadian markings would count

• Thanks 1

Yes please. Along with the Belgian, Danish, German.... Starfighters I plan to build I’d like to do many of the Canadian schemes. (I think there’s still 9 in the stash.) 😄

Chris

• Like 2

Does the Norwegian Training Camp in Toronto/Muskoka during WW2 apply ?
Fairchild Cornell, Curtiss Hawk, Douglas A8, Stinson Reliant etc. etc. In Norwegian markings, though.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, desert falcon said:

Nothing wrong with Canada or the Canadians

That's what I call a glowing endorsement! You're on the list

38 minutes ago, Chrisj2003 said:

Yes please. Along with the Belgian, Danish, German.... Starfighters I plan to build I’d like to do many of the Canadian schemes. (I think there’s still 9 in the stash.) 😄

Chris

You're on the list - and you could do a Danish Starfighter, one of their CF-104s would qualify. As would a Norwegian one. 

3 minutes ago, Vingtor said:

Does the Norwegian Training Camp in Toronto/Muskoka during WW2 apply ?
Fairchild Cornell, Curtiss Hawk, Douglas A8, Stinson Reliant etc. etc. In Norwegian markings, though.

I think it should, so I'll add another rule to allow it. You're on the list.

• Like 1

Oooh Oooh me me Pick me please .... Ooooh ooh please please pick me. Maybe I can finally find my Unicorn CF.100 clunk. If not it’ll be an F-86, F-101, or F-104. To many Hornets built already and with next years F-18 stgb that will add another. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Canada... probably the only place the Mrs and I would migrate to without thinking twice.. sign me up please Julian and have a Canadian Club on me! 
Cheers.. Dave 

1 hour ago, Anatol Pigwa said:

Unfortunately Canuck decals went out of business, as I would have loved to build the Bruce the Moose CF-5. Though I suppose I cam always fit in a CF-188 somwhere.

15 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Oooh Oooh me me Pick me please .... Ooooh ooh please please pick me. Maybe I can finally find my Unicorn CF.100 clunk. If not it’ll be an F-86, F-101, or F-104. To many Hornets built already and with next years F-18 stgb that will add another. 

You’re all on the list. 10 already!

• Like 1

That would be a beauty, for sure! As a bit of a Canadophile myself, I say count me in! I could do a US Army Otter from Vietnam - something I've always wanted to do (my late father flew as a passenger in one of these when he was in the Army, but it was down in Colombia - we were living in the old Panama Canal Zone at the time).

Best Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
Clarification.
  • Like 1

Count me in. I have a friend in Alberta whose father served on Canso's in Iceland. I've never built any version of a Cat, this would be the perfect excuse to kill several birds with one stone.

I'd love to do some Canadian armour too. Be rude not to :)

Andy

• Like 1