Canadian GB Chat

zebra

• zebra changed the title to Canadian GB (1 July to 23 October 2022)

I've a question for the general guideline rules where it concerns for example a Canadian pilot flying for a RAF squadron.  Am thinking unless there is something visually identifying as Canadian, then it does not meet the requirements?

regards,

Jack

1 hour ago, JackG said:

I've a question for the general guideline rules where it concerns for example a Canadian pilot flying for a RAF squadron.  Am thinking unless there is something visually identifying as Canadian, then it does not meet the requirements?

regards,

Jack

Interested in this myself Jack, as I'd be keen on entering a FAA Corsair flown by a RCNVR pilot.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JackG said:

regards,

Jack

I think this works if the individual aircraft is known to have been flown by the individual Canadian. It fits under the "Anything clearly associated with individual Canadians (eg cars driven by Jacques and Gilles Villeneuve)" part of the rules.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, John Masters said:

This could go either way...

51700071441_89d7900992_z_d.jpg

Serious envy John, Ive been wanting one of these since I came back to modeling. I don't do eBay so my only hope is swap meets and club trades. Im actually joining the IPMS just to try to find some of my 🦄 kits. 

Can I join the party please?

I would go for either one of

• Bill Atkinson’s 1844 Squadron Hellcats, (I have already built JX772/X119 and JW867/W116 but I need to identify fleet numbers to go with the serial numbers I have)...

or

• Don Shepard’s 1836 Squadron JT410/T8°H Corsair (if no one else is doing it)..

Both Canadian Pilots, Flying American built aircraft in the Fleet Air Arm..

• Like 2

Provided I can make the timing work (as it overlaps with four other GB's I'm interested in), I've bought a set of the Leading Edge decals to make a Golden Hawks Sabre. If I'm even luckier, Santa may even provide the kit for it.

James

• Like 1

I've just declared my intention to build a CF-18A (Hasegawa 1:48) in the F-18 STGB, but I could obviously have entered it here instead. And maybe I still can if I don't get past the 25% built mark in that one! But let's assume that it was a success in the STGB, then I would still love to enter this GB and I would be looking at either a CF-18B to pose alongside it or if I lose the plot completely, I'll fetch down my 1/48 C-130E/H and use the Leading Edge Tactical Camo Scheme 1980-1990s decals I have. Probably be the Hornet though.

And then again, I have just spotted that there is a good overlap with the Century Fighters GB where I was hoping to coble together the Kinetic F-104S I'm getting for Christmas. Hmm.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Grey Beema said:

Both Canadian Pilots, Flying American built aircraft in the Fleet Air Arm..

Heck, I can top that- one of my first thoughts was a Boston III (Intruder) flown by Mick Stone in 418 Sqn.  Canadian squadron, US-built aircraft, English pilot, who emigrated to New Zealand (if I remember right) and ultimately Australia.  (Alas he died about three years ago.)

9 minutes ago, Filler said:

And then again, I have just spotted that there is a good overlap with the Century Fighters GB where I was hoping to coble together the Kinetic F-104S I'm getting for Christmas. Hmm.

Ooh, you just reminded me of the extremely flashy CF-104 decals I've got...

bob

p.s. Or I could go REALLY esoteric and make the Piper Cub my friend owns- a Canadian shop did the overhaul on the engine for us this year.

• Like 1

On 11/17/2021 at 1:33 PM, zebra said:

Thanks Enzo. Canada Day does make a lot of sense as a start date (I had no idea it was Canada Day - I have absolutely no connection to Canada, just thought it would be a good theme and fancied building a Chipmunk and a CF-104!).

I think we should take the dates we have, we'll make it work. Since my capacity to host it might be limited during the first half of the GB, and it's also not a great time for @JeroenS who has volunteered to co-host, perhaps a third co-host would be a good idea. Would anyone like to volunteer please? Might be nice if one of the hosts was actually Canadian!

Having seen no takers so far, I'll volunteer to help out. As a relative newcomer to BM, I have been looking for some guidelines/summary of GB host duties in the FAQ/help sections without much luck - I can only deduce a few things from my experience in a couple of GBs just wrapping up now. 

As for Canadian background, I lived in Montreal for 4 years (in the 80's), working for Canadair (now the almost defunct Bombardier). I currently live near Seattle, a mere stone's throw from British Columbia. But if the front end of the GB needs a bit of a push, I'll be happy to help out any way I can. It seems a lot of the heavy lifting comes at the end, with the gallery and polls, etc.

(And having lived in Quebec, I'd suggest any French-Canadians should be able to get a 1 week head start, starting on St Jean Baptiste day... June 24) ;)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, drdjp11 said:

Having seen no takers so far, I'll volunteer to help out. As a relative newcomer to BM, I have been looking for some guidelines/summary of GB host duties in the FAQ/help sections without much luck - I can only deduce a few things from my experience in a couple of GBs just wrapping up now. 

As for Canadian background, I lived in Montreal for 4 years (in the 80's), working for Canadair (now the almost defunct Bombardier). I currently live near Seattle, a mere stone's throw from British Columbia. But if the front end of the GB needs a bit of a push, I'll be happy to help out any way I can. It seems a lot of the heavy lifting comes at the end, with the gallery and polls, etc.

(And having lived in Quebec, I'd suggest any French-Canadians should be able to get a 1 week head start, starting on St Jean Baptiste day... June 24) ;)

Thank you! I guess I’m a bit in the dark about host duties as well but was going to think about that a bit nearer the time.

As for French-Canadians starting early - I think two different start dates might break Enzo! - maybe we should say start when you want, just keep it below 25% complete until July 1!

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, zebra said:

Thank you! I guess I’m a bit in the dark about host duties as well but was going to think about that a bit nearer the time.

As for French-Canadians starting early - I think two different start dates might break Enzo! - maybe we should say start when you want, just keep it below 25% complete until July 1!

Wondering if @Enzo Matrix can point us to a summary of GB host duties?

Very glad this GB is happening but as it’s pretty much the same time as F-5 and Century series, and I have a two week holiday, chances are I won’t finish any. For me good GB hosts are those who respond to posts even just with a like and help to answer queries and nudge if progress is flagging; I am very appreciative of every one who organises and runs GBs. 

Current plans for this are a F-104, scheme and load out undecided. 

Chris

• Like 2

@zebra @drdjp11 What Chris said. 

Hosts are called upon to decide eligibilty for a certain build. Give a warm welcome to any new builds. Follow the builds and cheer on the sidelines or provide some gentle encouragement (:whip: and/or :fight:). In general just making sure everybody is having fun and gets their build(s) over the line. And also make sure the GB doesn't get too serious :whistle:

What most people like to see as well are some GB stats (how many builds, how many completions, what types of builds etc). I'll be on top of that!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1